Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

The Next Brick Wall For the Framerate Problem -HEAT!!!!

Well Folks, Regardez Vous this screaming machine built from scratch.As I reported for $1,200 sans airbag and seatbelt. Intel® MOBO D845PESV Pentium 4 3.07 GHz GForce TI 4600 Video Card NVidia 41.09 Driver DDR333 1,024 MB RAM Maxtor 120 G HD Soundblaster Live Platinum Windows 2000 version 5.0 SP 3 DirectX 8.2Did it finally (after tweaking) bring the dreaded slideshow on the tarmac at Lago'sLAX to its knees with all sliders to the wall?You bet. 20-25 fps. But wait. With all the sliders maxed the chip overheating warning sounded and the popup declared an overtemp at 130 F. Should I let the house burn down? Turn up the wick (overtemp threshhold)? It looks like we will need nitrogen coolant for max sliders at Lago LAX. As someone said, "What did they test this scenery on?"The lesson here is that no matter how much Dinero you throw at this framerate problem , I think I will go IFR in the soup until the scenery guys can get a cargo net over the excessive resourse requirements of this eye candy.Best RegardsFedaka Max Slider andhaving a street name (a very long time ago) when driving the U.S. Navy'sgood stuff, "Lt. Will Risket."Definition Air Force Formation - Two aircraft going in the same direction on the same day.

Guest kilo_sierra17

One very nice system, try going to Direct X 9, that will help frames some, I read the same thing about that scenery, how the heck did they test it!!

Heat.........I think it affects framerates....but it could just be my imagination. I had to resort to leaving my case open and a table fan blowing into it.......just to keep the temp. under 60C.Finally I found a post here about the CoolerMaster CPU fan...I bought it from www.newegg.com and it has made a world of difference (Model HHC001...~$30 US). Now I can leave my case closed and still get sub 60C temps. However, my CPU is the AMD XP 2200+. I'm not sure if this cooler will work with Intel CPUs.....actually I pretty much doubt it. However, you should consider looking for one that will work. From research, I have concluded that stock CPU fans never really work all that well.There is of course quite a few more things you can do to bring the temps down. Search the web...there's a wealth of info there.Lagaz.

You're not in any trouble with those temps. The design max is 69c (156f) and anything under 60c (140f) is no problem at all. See http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/29864307.pdf for the P4 thermal guidelines. It will be interesting, though, to see what anyone else running the P4/3000+ with FS2002 is experiencing.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest WorkingStiff

Lago has scenery for KLAX?

Think he means Simflyers. Their stuff is pretty heavy.Lago scenery is designed to be framerate friendly.

A hot CPU runs at less than maximal speed, therefore computer performance is indeed affected.

Pop in a 9700 Pro and get an increase in those frame rates with 4X AA and 8X Ansio @ 1280 x 1024.This card is the best. Just make sure to run Detonator Destroyer (Guru3d.com)befor installing the latest catalyst drivers.

>>Just make sure to run Detonator Destroyer (Guru3d.com)befor >>installing the latest catalyst driversDo you know if this works with Windows XP now?Thanks...Lagaz.

Apologies to LAGO. It wasn't their LAX. It was Wilco's. Chalk it up to too many hard carrier landings that shook loose some brain material. Thanks to the kind folks with the cooling advice. Now I need a water cooled keyboard. Fed

Hmmm,,interesting.I am building a machine as well and plan on using the same motherboard or the P4T533-CI think the testers over exaggerate, to get us to buy their products. Thats a fast system you have, and it should run any game with smooth as silk framerates. What is the wattage of the power supply? You may need an industrial fan to cool that thing :D Try getting some more airflow in your case?....If computer makers are making systems much faster for cheaper, then why aren't game makers doing the same? Instead they make games that require us to purchase yet faster machines that run hotter.Goodluck.......=Swiv=

As my friends, the latinos say, "Much Grass" (Muchas Graci

Guest Joshieca

First of all your temp is not that bad...its a bit high, but not too bad. My P4 doesn't usually get above 40c.What heat sink fan are you using? The one from INTEL is ok, but I would suggest you upgrade.This is what I use..http://www.thermalright.com/ax478.htmlThat bad boy with a 80MM fan and my temps are just perfect. Now during the winter time I leave my system on, play games all day long and it doesnt get to anything above 38C.Oh yeah, make sure you use Arctic Silver 3 (the real stuff) but only VERY LITTLE! You dont need anything but the size of a BB. I spoke with one of the enginners over at AS and he told me that you dont need anything more than a light haze over the top if you have good contact with your fan/hsf.[div align=center] [link:forums.jetdoc.com/|Visit The Community Forums][link:www.jetdoc.com/NWS/airnews.html]Live AirNEWS 24/7][/b