Sign in to follow this  
Guest capatinbagtag

A32X stall in Approach Phase

Guest capatinbagtag

On a couple of recent occasions, I have engaged Approach Phase "some way out" i.e. descending through 10,000ft.Condition: Managed Speed, Managed Heading. All OK until after deceleration point, then (on first occasion), an irrecoverable pitch-up and deep stall; on second occasion, while on long final (APPR set), when there was probably a change of wind direction / strength (who knows, I was busy trying to recover, until I went in tail first with all of the warnings going and TOGA having no effect!)On this second occasion, I was using ActiveSky6 to replicate the winds on January 18th (45kt, gusting 65kt), on 24R ILS approach to Manchester (on the day itself, the real airport was closed - the aircraft on approach were uncontrollable. OK, maybe I should have taken a clue from the real-world pilots :-))Anyone else experienced something like this? Is it safer not to use Managed speed (Rob's tutorial)?Andrew Webb

managed speed doesn't do well in adding the necessary higher IAS in high crosswing and gust situation (even if the current winds are entered into the APPR page).you are getting the stall(s) because the wind changes/gusts are causing the aircraft to enter a stall.i always do the calculations by hand and do the approach in 'selected speed guidance mode.' in gusting winds you will need to come in a 'little hot' - confirm you have a new set of brake pads and lots of runway for the rollout. ;-)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest vrandar

In those sort of conditions I would always check the crosswind and tailwind components to make sure they were inside limits. If not it would be a divert to an alternate. An Excel calculator (and a table if you don't want to use the spreadsheeet) for working this out is available from the Speedbirdonline Airbus hangar in my address below.But I would also strongly consider a Flaps 3 config approach to give a higher landing speed or, as Scoob suggests, even go to selected speed and medium autobrake.Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Guest capatinbagtag

So, as I suspected, it was my airmanship at fault!Thanks and regardsAndrew Webb

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.