Sign in to follow this  
Guest kilo_sierra17

LCD's

Guest kilo_sierra17

I have saved up for a while, I would really like to buy an LCD, I was thinkin an 17" or 19", I have a couple of questions though, are they good for gaming, I can't remember where I read this but they said that LCD's are not as good as tubes, is this true?, Also can they get screen burn?, Do I need to have a screen saver on so I do not ruin the monitor?

Guest panzerschiffe

If I'm reading your system specs correctly...With the money you'd spend on a 17 - 19 inch LCD monitor, you can buy a vastly more powerful motherboard and CPU and have plenty left over.

Guest kilo_sierra17

You are reading my specs correctly, yes my system is about 3 years old, it plays almost any game very well, Flightsim, well read my sig, I am happy with my system for now. I plan to use it for another year or so, I would like an LCD and I can easily save money up for a new comp, plus I think my parents would pay half, some more info would be appreciated.

Guest Bob I

Hi,Are you aware that for a few loonies that you can plug in a 1 gig CPU in that Dell in five minutes. I did mine some time ago, made a new machine out of it. You won't believe the difference. Check pricewatch.com for cost. Last time I looked, they were $95 USD for a PIII 1 gig. You will be very pleased.Bob in sunny Florida....

Guest kilo_sierra17

Well my system is PC100, I called Dell today, they said the highest my Motherboard supported was 850, but I did see on that site that there was a PIII 1 GHZ, PC100, would this work with my comp?

Guest Calb

Kurt,You definitely want to get more CPU horsepower before upgrading to an LCD display. Frankly, I'd entertain the idea of getting rid of the Dell and go for a machine that isn't a "packaged system" (Dell, Compaq, Pakard Bell, IBM). In my experience, they tend to impose limits -- so they can "up-sell" you on the next go-around, naturally.Getting back to your original question.... I've been using a NEC MultiSync 18.3" display for almost 2 years and it's outstanding. There are VERY few with it's viewing angle (170 degrees). The only disadvantage I've seen is, to look good, you have to use them in their "native" resolution. Mine is 1280X1024 which puts a real demand on CPU & video card (I have a GeForce3 & Athlon 1.33Ghz CPU). You can switch to a lower res. but it isn't quite as crisp.Good luck,CalSaskatoon (soon to be CYXX)

Guest kilo_sierra17

Cal, I am not sure what you mean about "packaged system", are you recommneding that I save up about $2000-2500 and go buy all the components and build my own system, I know it may seem like there are limits on my system, but it is over 3 years old, about 3 years and 2 months actually, as for the LCD, maybe I will wait for now and get a monster system, then get a good display, my M780 does very well right now, just though why not go bigger and thin!, Our school has 20 iBooks, the LCD's are only about 13" to 14" but are they ever nice. So do you recommened I should save up lots and build my own system?

Here's an idea!Keep saving up with the money you have now. Then, start flight training, get your license and you won't need to worry about which monitor / video card / CPU Power is best for FS. You'll have a brand new flying experience that will consist of: - No Stutters - No Blurry Textures - Worldwide scenery DETAILED down to the last inch of dirt - Best WX available (CLOUDS!!!) - SMART AI Traffic (most of the time, hehe) - FULL ATC Coverage - The list goes on...Sounds nice, eh?----------------------------------------------------------Jeff M.

Guest Calb

Here's a couple of URLs showing the kind of outfits I've dealt with over the past 10 years, with great satisfaction.http://www.ascotpc.com/http://www.techtronics.ca/I'm not trying to advertise for them -- they're just examples I'm familiar with. They're both discounters.They offer a number of choices of basic systems. You choose the one you want, add whatever you want or can afford (faster CPU, bigger HD size, more memory, etc.) and walk out real happy.Many people are happy with Dell, etc. I prefer and recommend not to deal with "packaged" systems using an "in-house" motherboard. The above noted are completely flexible in every respect. Hopefully you have something available like them in PG.Good luckCalhover long and prosper

sounds nice but im not willing to pay a very high price for that (which is death) incase of an accidenti think i will stick to my PC Simulator :~P

The price of training will cost a lot less than the amount you'll spend on a new computer every year... just to run FS, hehe.Also, judging from statistics, if there was an inflight emergency which ended tragically, the only person to blame would be the PIC (you in this case).---------------------------------------Jeff M.

Guest Joshieca

I would have to agree that your computer should be upgraded before you spend the $$ on and LCD...However, that being said. I just got in (TODAY) my new TFT/LCD display by Hitachi. It kicks some tail! The colors are so bright and the refresh rate is excellent. At 16ms you dont see any ghosting at all. There are some minor strange things about it, but all in all it was well worth the purchase.http://compare.monitorsdirect.com/hitachid...info.jsp?id=858[div align=center] [link:forums.jetdoc.com/|Visit The Community Forums][link:www.jetdoc.com/NWS/airnews.html]Live AirNEWS 24/7][/b

From what I hear and see you can get beautiful pictures from the LCD's. HOWEVER, for fast, rapidly changing graphics there is an image "latency" or "persistence" that causes a little blur or image smear.For flight sims you may not notice it, but for fast shooters or racing games it becomes definately evident.Personally, I play both, so unless the next round of technology gets the crystals to switch quicker I'll stay with the crt's.Unfortunately, not a black or white answer.regards,