Sign in to follow this  

Looking for some nice low poly GA planes for AI traffic

Guest danowat

Hi All,I am looking for some good low poly (or with good frame rates) GA aircraft to use as AI traffic.Anyone have any suggestions, (I have the ones supplied with the GA traffic maker).Dan.

Dan, I use the following with good results. aardvark AI Planes(Search in the Avsim library) - Currently they have 737, 757 and DC9 Modelshttp://www.ai-aardvark.com/FSP - They offer a wider variety of planes. You can check them out at http://www.fspainter.projectai.com/Also, search Avsim library for many repaints.ProjectAI - They seem to have the biggest selection available:http://www.projectai.comI have used all 3 on my system (PIII 450) and they all provide good frameates. Happy Flying,Mark

Guest danowat

Hi Mark,Thanks for the links, but I was after something a little more GA.I have used so of Mike stones plane as they give quite good frame rates, but I was after some othersDan.

My cessna 140 seems to work ok as AI. Also I run some older FS 2000 and even 98 fixed gear planes as AI since they are usualy pretty easy on frames.Brian

Hello Dan:In addition to the GA aircraft included with GA Traffic Maker, I'm using the following:Found BushHawk XP by Steven Grant - as isThe FS2002 Sopwith Camel ;-) - with C172sp .air fileDHC2 Beaver and Turbo Beaver by Fred Banting (FS2000 model, i.e., no visible prop) - tweaked .air and aircraft.cfg filesRobin DR-400 by Chuck Dome (FS2000 model, i.e., no visible prop) - with C182s .air filePitt S-1S Special by Mikko Maliniemi - tweakedThe set of four GMax Learjets by FlightFX group/Captain Slug, fx_lears.zip - tweaked (still working on it).Also, Martin Strong just uploaded his Socata TB-9 Tampico in an AI-only version - haven't tried it yet.Finally, there's a bunch of GMax business jets (Citation, Gulfstream) that might work as AI.Others???With respect to tweaking, I will soon upload a package of AFCAD files and GA flight plans for British Columbia, and it will contain descriptions and files for adding the Beavers, the Pitts, one of the Learjets, the Chief Aeronca and the Debonair B33 (the latter two are included in GA Traffic Maker but I tweaked the files to make them land consistently on short runways). The screen shots show how the "little ones" look as AI (I followed them around using AIVIEW.DLL). The airfield is Nakusp (CAQ5) in BC with Frank Betts' Canada Short Legs add-on scenery; there's a Cessna and the Chief Aeronca as AI in the background.Cheers, Holger

Hi again:forgot to add this shot of the DHC2 Beaver on AI approach to Cranbrook. (hey - this is not the screenshot forum!)Cheers, Holger

Guest danowat

Hi Holger,Thanks for that, that is just what i am afterBTW where can I find the AIVIEW.dll you are usingCheersDan.

Hello Dan:AIVIEW.DLL is a freeware add-on module available from http://www.altingsoftware.com.I find it to be the most useful tool for checking AI behavior; you don't have to sit at an airport and wait for the planes to land, or trying to slew next to them. Simply double-click on any AI aircraft on the "radar" screen or list and you're in spot view, with all the panning features spot view offers. It's also great for watching big jets land, particularly the FS Painter ones that deploy reverse thrusters!Cheers, Holger

Guest Capholland

If anybody finds any other good ones (I already got permission from Martin Strong to include his AI Tampico package in my next GA Traffic Maker update) please let me know, or post them here. Ideally (and this is the rule I followed in my selections) the aircraft should work as AI without any tweaking. Also, I only include "flyable" aircraft that do not have any custom gauges or effects, to keep the package small and the install/uninstall procedure simple. (In other words, everything the aircraft needs should be contained within its "Aircraft Name" folder.)Even if I can't include a certain model, perhaps because of some of the above limitations, I can still recommend it, and include a list of file names, authors, and download locations. Thanks!- Caphollandhttp://caphollands.fsgateway.comhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Guest danowat

Hi Cap,I have now used the following for AI traffic using your program with good results.Chuck domes,Beech B200Beech K90Beech E90Cessna 310Mike Stones,Scotish pioneerDavid Friswell'sFSDS2 Pipers (from aussim.com)I have also made a "military txt" file that I can rename GA_craft.txt to add military craft to AFB's, It maybe a good idea to include this in your package (also maybe with an easier will of implementing it rather than renaming files:) )For this I have used, GMAX F-15 (can't remember authour)G222FSPainter KC-10 AI Aardvark C-9ABest WishesDan.

>I have also made a "military txt" file that I can rename GA_craft.txt>to add military craft to AFB's, It maybe a good idea to include this >in your package (also maybe with an easier will of implementing it >rather than renaming files:) )>For this I have used, >GMAX F-15 (can't remember authour)>G222>FSPainter KC-10 >AI Aardvark C-9AI've done this also. If that's the same F-15 I used, despite it being GMAX it impacted frame rates way too much to usable for AI traffic (IMO). Right now the only one I'm using is the KC-10.-Basil