Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wizard

3d question..again:)

Guest Wizard

I am aware that glasses can be bought...but I was wonderin', I thought one user indicated they were at first using the cardboard movie goin' glasses with some ? results! Am I dreaming or do these cardboard 3D glasse work..even a bit??Mb

Guest GalacticCowboy

I've used them for viewing static images, never for game play, but if your video card supports "anaglyph" output, they should work. If you've got an NVidia card, there's a download on their site that enables support for both 3D glasses and anaglyph. You'll lose quite a bit of color, however.

Hi Wizard,As a user of a LCD monitor (which can't be used with the shutter type glasses), I looked into this pretty extensively when I first heard about it around a year ago. What I found out was that the two colored lens type glasses (known as stereo anaglyph) do work with Nvidia's stereo drivers, but they have issues. If you just want to see what 3D is like they're ok, but for full time use they're not very good. The main problem is the fact that with three primary colors and only two eyes, it's hard to get the full color spectrum to come through. As an example, if you use the default red/blue lenses, you're not getting any green light to your eyes and the screen looks pretty much black and white - or I should say shades of grey. So, you have to use one of the following pairs of lenses...- blue/yellow- cyan/red- magenta/greenThe other main issue was trying to match the lenses with the output of the monitor. If the lenses you're using don't match those colors exactly then you get ghosting, which is hard on the eyes. I tried and tried to find a good combination but never did get really good results. I still use then once in a while just for kicks, but not for regular use.

Guest Capholland

I've also tried them, in the cyan/red combination. But using them repeatedly for several extended flights began to strain my eyes, to the point that one of them (the blue one, I think) became physically sore to the touch. So I decided not to be cheap to my eyes, and got a "real" set of glasses for a reasonable price on e-bay that deliver a much more convincing effect.- Caphollandhttp://caphollands.fsgateway.comhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Hi Wizard.I would have to agree with 'Capholland'...I, too, had tried the glasses (referring to the eDiminsional 3D); and, I must say -- they are somewhat of a strain on the eyes. I had mine for about a week or two, then returned them, before my 30-day trial period was over... thank goodness!Sure... they looked ok. for FS2002, but alot of programs did NOT work at all -- despite what the eDiminsional tech. support claimed.Links2001 did experience an odd effect; even with the imaging paramaters set at the very lowest (minimal 3D/stereo), the display was out of perspective; e.g., the player would appear off-center; and, whenever you moved the swing gauge, ghosted images would appear behind the trail from wherever you had re-positioned it from.Midtown Madness II required a new patch.Combat Flight Simulator III looked horrible!JetFighter IV (Fortress America): Cockpit images were distorted/mis-aligned, etc.Oh sure... I was able to play "Majong" with no problems -- big deal!! lolAs for MS Train... well, it would not take to the 30.82/30.7 drivers.As a matter of fact, I had re-installed the default drivers that came with the video card, and it still won't run properly, anymore. My advice is to do more research on other glasses, and avoid the headaches that I had experienced.Sure... I read every single review at the eDiminsional website... and, of course... they were all positive - hmmmmmm(?). But don't let what other people say (especially the tech. support guys at the site) influence your decision. It's like a movie; when it gets so 'hyped up', it usually is not that good to most people.Trust me... if you re-install new video card drivers (required), it's gonna' be a nightmare, when having to un-install those, and re-install the default drivers. You will probably need that little utility that removes conflicting driver files that are still hanging around somewhere in your system... and I won't even get into the deal about removing registry keys (might be required, depending on drivers)... don't even ask! lolGood luck with finding the right stuff.Stanley

Guest Wizard

Thanks a bunch, I guess I will wait a bit..do not want to screw up my vision? :)MB