Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy_YXU

DDR, SDRAM, RDRAM etc.,etc...

Guest Twister

Hi there,I am contemplating the purchase of a new system. I am quite confused about the different types of RAM available.I'd love to know which one provides the best performance and what type of motherboard do I need for it to work properly.ThanksTwister

You will need to provide a little more information like what cpu you want to get.This will automatically limit what ram you can take.If you go with AMD, your only choice would be DDR ram, and RDRAM works only for Pentium 4.And the same goes for the motherboard, you must decide on the type of cpu you want to use first.

I have always been told that a P4 will run much better with RDRAM. But how much better? I mean if you run a P4 with DDR, how much perfermance are you actually losing? I see alot of peeps with P4's running with DDR ram. Then to make matters worse there is 2100, 2700, 3300 - Yikes!Sheeze... So many choices... :-)

Guest Stratus_Fractus

RDRAM is almost dead, it has no future. DDR is becoming almost as fast as it, DDR PC3500/3700 (400+Mhz) is the latest available and is smoking fast!

Guest Twister

I'm thinking about a 2.4 GHz CPU - does it help ?Also, do the latest HDD (with speeds of around 10,000 RPM )help improve performance ?Thanks in advance.Twister

I know what ya mean,I am also building a new system and just recieved a P4 2.4GHZ cpu, and cant decide on what mobo to get either, there are so many choices. But i think the support for DDR is the way to go, if you ever plan to upgrade in the future. I am still flipping thru the pages as i type trying to decide. Right now i am on almost the same system as you a P3 866 with a gforce2 mx400 64MB, with 512RAM. But anything will be faster than what i already have also,,,,hehe.It's gonna be a long night :D=Swiv=

Guest Andy_YXU

I just build my putter and that is what it is and I am very happy with it:CPU: PENTIUM 4 2.53GHzMOTHERBOARD: ASUS P4PE with LAN and AUDIOVIDEO CARD: ASUS GFORCE Ti4200 128 MB RAMMEMORY: PC3200 DDR RAM @ 400MHz 512 MB (one chip double sided I believe)HARD DRIVE: SEAGATE BARACUDA 60GB 7200RPM (VERY VERY VERY VERY QUIET)CASE: ANY DAMN CASE FOR $50 WILL DO WITH 350WATTS POWER IS FINE! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY :-)OS: WINDOWS XP PROSOME CD-RW OR CDROM WHATEVER YOU WANTFLOPPY IF YOU WANT... NO NEED FOR IT REALLY...GOOD LUCKANDY