Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

A few random questions about FS2002

I ahve a few questions about FS2002 - some weird bug-type things, but more likely things I'm doing wrong.1. When I use the flight planner, I typically do IFR, VOR to VOR, but I don't think that selection affects this problem. I follow all the ATC instructions from takeoff to the destination airport. Two annoying things happen as I approach the airport.A. While it does a good job of setting all my comm radios automatically (by me selecting the option in the ATC windows), it doesn't select the Nav1 radio for my approach into the destination airport. This means that as I approach the destination airport, I have to pause, go into the map icon, zoom down, and randomly click around the destination airport until I hit somewhere that it pops up the actual airport and not just nearby VORs, then I have to remember what runway ATC told me to expect vectors for, as well as the actual heading, then I have to set the nav1 radio, set the course indicator so the localizer is accurate, then unpause. Is there something I'm missing?B. The other annoying thing is that ATC doesn't tell me to contact the tower until I'm about a mile away from touchdown, maybe less - is this right?2. The next thing has to do with getting yelled at by ATC. On some planned routes they tell me a particular altitude, let's say 5000 feet. I reach and maintain that altitude by setting the AutoPilot to maintain 5000, but sometimes ATC keeps telling me to descend/climb and maintain 5000 feet, even though I'm usually dead on 5000 or no more than a few feet off. Do I need to do something to calibrate the altimeter - they always say Altimeter is 2992 (but sometimes use other numbers). I'm thinking this has something to do with the problem, but I can't figure out how to recalibrate the altimeter.3. Finally, I think only with the standard 737, 747 and 777, I'm having a problem with the AutoPilot. For some reason I can never set it so that it will maintain my altitude, but let me turn at the same time. Any time I turn it on and set the altimeter auto switch, it forces on the wing leveler, and any time I try to turn off the wing leveler, I either can't get it to go off, or it turns off the altitude hold. Is this by design? If so that, is very irritating - I just want the AP to help me hold altitude, but allow me to execute turns. This is something I can do in other aircraft, but for some reason, not these.ThanksScottAirlineMuseum.com

1a. Unfortunately, all the FS2k2 ATC will do is list the comm frequencies that you should go to. It will never switch your nav frequency.1b. Don't know...2. Press the 'B' key to recalibrate your altimeter. Just a warning, though, above 18,000 feet, you have to set your altimeter back to 29.92" Hg (using the 'B' key won't work for some reason).3. That's the problem with the default autopilot. To fix that, go into your FS2002 folder. Now, go to "aircraft" and select the aircraft of your choice. Right click the "aircraft.cfg" file and click "open with..." Select Notepad from the list. Go to the autopilot section (it has brackets around it) and put in these two lines (or change them so they look like this):use_no_default_bank=1use_no_default_pitch=1...and save. The autopilot should now be fixed so you can turn and have altitude hold at the same time (or maintain altitude manually with heading/nav hold on).

Hey, you're in luck -- those all have answers:1. A couple of options. You could buy some real approach charts. I found them at a local map specialty store, but you could probably find them at your local airport, or even online. Really great to have. Another thing you might want to look into is some better flight planning software. I use FSNavigator -- it lets me hit F9 while in flight and it brings up a map that's easy to navigate, has way better symbology than the default flight planner, and gives all the frequencies, etc. It also lets you export to an FS2002 flight plan so you can load it up and fly it IFR. It's payware, but it's arguably the best FS addon ever. I've been using it for years. Others will probably recommend other planning programs...As for the tower on short final thing, well, it's usually a little longer than a half-mile for me, maybe between 3 and 6 miles out. I'm not a pilot, but I figure that's pretty much the way it's done in real life. I'm sure you'll get used to it.2. You can calibrate your altimiter to the barometric pressure with a little knob that's usually near the bottom left corner of the altimeter. There's a little window in the altimiter that indicates the current setting (e.g. 29.92)3. Open the aircraft.cfg of the plane in question (you'll find them all under aircraft) and add, in the Autopilot section the line:use_no_default_bank=1I think there's an app in the library that will automatically do this for all your aircraft. Just search for it.Have fun,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/DHC-8_profile.jpg

Guest Captain Barfbag

I'm not sure all variations of the altimeter guage on the panels will allow manual setting. However, you can use FSUIPC to do this. There is an option to define a key combination to reset your altimeter to 29.92. (Modules-FSUIPC-something) As was mentioned, do this above 18,000 feet. I happened to be flying AT 18,000 the other day, and ATC wanted the altimeter set to the local value, not 29.92.

Guest GabrielR

First of all I am not a real pilot.Sure all those questions have answers.1A. Agree, MS only handles the Com radios in a semi-automatic fasion. (you seect your ATC option and the active radio is set for you) The Navigational radios have to be tuned by you, the Pilot in command. That's the importance of Flight Planning, in real life, most pilots don't pause their flight and go looking for the annoying pop up window. (just kidding). before you takeoff, as a pilot you should have all the data about the airport you are going to (and that includes all the appropriate frecuencies for approach and Landing) and also what to do if instructed to go around, and look for an alternate, the weather both in the destination and the alternate, the NOTAMS, the elevation of the airports... The list goes on and on. The solution about the plates is also right, but that does not mean that you have to know it.1B. It is normal that you are handed out to tower about 6 miles from touch down, but tower usually clears you to land on the last three miles. I think MS does a good job on that.2. Usually, when you fly with realworld weather the barometric pressure is different of 2992 wich is a standard and Ideal condition. The altimeter will read a different altitude than the one you are. ATC knows That and usually they don't like it. Real pilots check the weather while on route either receiving the report from the centers, (Miami center, altimeter 2996) Feature that If I remember is modelled into FS, or by leaving the actual frequency and checkuing the weather in a weather reporting station. Again, Flight Planning is the response, if you do not have a complete set of Maps for the route you are flying, you HAVE to check all the weather reporting stations along your route before you leave the ground, (tune your com2 radio and get the nearest ATIS). If you don't want to bother with this, just click B on your Keyboard and the Altimeter will jump to the correct barometric reading.3. To say the true and according with MS and some real Pilots the AP is correct, it only controls one of the 2 axis, you just have to get used to it, I would not go back to MS2000 pilot, even though it look so automatic, I think it was not real. Bottom line I do not use the Autopilot Fix people propose. but you are free to do so.Hope This Helps, Check the web for flight Planning and Flight instruction, there are good sources of info out there.Gabriel Ruiz