Sign in to follow this  

thinking of upgrading to a 21 inch monitor ...

hi all i have a 17 inch on my computer at the moment and i was thinking of upgrading to a 21 inch do you think the cost to upgrade is worth it in terms of seeing flight sim 2002 on this bigger screen ?thx

Absolutely....But 19" monitors are dirt cheap, so check that one out too.Tigerdirect.com routinely has them for $149.00 - $169.00I have bought three 21 " monitors from Tiger over the last 2 years, all on sale as returns, for around $299.00 to 329.00. They were all first class products, and in my opinion just manufacturer overstock that was being "dumped" as the boxes appeared to never have been opened and they were spotless inside (The plastic had that new look and feel). The warrantee was reduced to 1 year on these, however. They have all performed flawlessly.Watch and search for those specials if you have the time. They are a great buy. The last one retailed for $1039.00 and cost me $299.00. Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Depends. What's the rest of your system. What you see on the monitor depends on what video card you have. Also depends on the quality of the monitor. A decent Sony Trinitron will run around $500 now-a-days. I bought the Sony E540-b a few months ago. Great mid-range mid priced monitor. Delivers 1600x1200 at 85mhz.

as for my system it isa P3 800 256 meg sd133 ram Gforce 2 MX 64 meg Win 98SE

I to was going to get a 21" but a good one is well in the $800 (USD) ranger. I have had the same ViewSonic A90 for time (19") but wanted something nicer and flater. For $350 (USD) I just got a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB. It's a black CRT flat screen than can do 1940x1440@ 85 hz .It also has a anti reflective screen which is VERY nice . The picture and colors are stunning .This is what I would expect from this company though. They always get top review ratings for monitors. I would recommend this monitor to anyone. It has a ton of nice features for the money . Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

thanks Richardas you can see my system is pretty old now, so you think i should upgrade my system then i will have 2 computers where i can hook up using wideview OR buy a big large monitor - monitors of the 21 inch variety sell for $1800 + Australian here, you can buy a pretty decent system with that money

Sure, big monitor is nice for flight simulation. But for a regular work - not necessary. The optimum thing is to buy a quality 19" monitor (I agree with Richard about the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro - phenomenal quality, colors) and buy yourself a nice fresnel lens. Then you can have a 26" monitor ... A world of difference.Michael J.

I personally would upgrade the system and let the monitor come later or even better maybe get one off EBAY :) . If you have $1800 AUD you proboly could get a whole new system. I just had to upgrade my motherboard and cpu because they both died only after a year ! MSI K7266 pro with a AMD 1600+ XP. Now I have a MSI K7V and a AMD 2400+XP. This upgrade cost me about $400 USD. If you add a Gf4 128MB,512MB DDR,case,400 power supply and a couple of case fans we are now looking at about $800-900 USD . So you proboly could get a new system for $1800 AUD if you have a small local computer shop that will let you buy the parts seprate. That's what I always do :) Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpghttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Guest lmoelleb

There is no such thing as too big a monitor. Also for regular work. At home I am suffering from a single 21" running 1600x1200 - quite a setback from work, where I have two 21" running 1600x1200 - one on each side of the laptop's 15" TFT also at 1600x1200. :)A monotir is the single most important thing on a computer when doing "regular work". Drop buying a new CPU, drop memory purchase, drop everything until you have a decent monitor - so 21" is in NO way too big. A good quality monitor will also last long (unlike the other stuff) - my 21" is on it's third computer, and still going strong!/Lars