Sign in to follow this  
Guest markusr

My first private repaint

Guest markusr

Hello gents,i wanted to repaint for the first time my B777-200LR. But i don't know how to do...I downloaded the Paintpack from from PSS and opened the "Template 777-200LR.psd" file. But my question before i start painting. How can i split up the big PSD file to the required smaller files? Please give me some hints how to split this file up, that i can fly with my private 777.Iam new on painting, please resepct those "stupid" question. Thanks ;-)greetingsMarkus

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,Will you be using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro?Jimmy Richards

Guest markusr

Hi,i will use Photoshop 7.greetingsMarkus

Guest OneTinSoldier

Ok,I can try and give somewhat of a tutorial but please keep in mind I am quite new at painting myself! And I'm not sure if I fully understand the original question... but here goes.There aren't really any required smaller files. If what you mean is how do you come up with the four required files...PSS-B772Bottom_t.bmpPSS-B772Gen_t.bmpPSS-B772Main_t.bmpPSS-B772VStab_t.bmpthen what you have to do is first...Paint your livery on the template. It's best if you make new 'layers' for various 'parts' that you are painting and just make them higher than the 'Livery' layer. (from here on out I will refer to a 'part' as a layer). That way if you need to change something later with just the one layer then you can go back later and select that particular layer and work with that layer only, or delete that layer or whatever you want to do with it, while not interfering with the rest of your paint. You will find that Photoshop will automatically create a new layer when using certain functions.When you have the template painted the way you want then make sure to save the 'Template 777-200LR.psd'! That way if you want to go back later and change something you will have saved the .psd with all your layers just the way you made them.Now you need to 'Flatten' the image(.psd) which will merge all the layers. This is done via the menu up top... 'Layer --> Flatten Image' and save it as a bitmap. Now you will need to select the(your painted and flattened) upper part of the painted Template, or left hand side of the painted aircraft if you prefer. I use the 'Lasso Tool' to surround it. Using the 'Rectangular Marquee Tool' might be ok too. After surrounding/selecting the left hand side of the aircraft then you press CTRL-C to copy what you have selected to the clipboard.---------------------------------------Selection with the Lasso shown below. After selecting the Lasso place it on your paint where you want to start the selection and click with your mouse, then hold down the ALT key on your keyboard and continue making selection points by clicking with your mouse. Keep the ALT key pressed down and continue clicking until you have surrounded it with all your selection points.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132260.jpgSelection with the Rectangular Marquee shown below.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132261.jpg---------------------------------------Again, once you have surrounded what you want to copy with your selection you press CTRL-C to copy it to the clipboard. Now you must open up the 'PSS-B772Main_t.psd' included in the Paint Kit. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I select where I want my paste to go in the PSS-B772Main_t.psd with the Lasso.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132262.jpgNow you 'paste' what you copied to the clipboard earlier by pressing 'CTRL-V'. Now you want to go over to the Layer blending properties and change the drop-down menu from 'Normal' to 'Multiply'. Now you will be able to see the base image underneath, as well your paint that you pasted in. Now use the 'Move Tool' to move the pasted painting to where it lines up with the base image. I suggest using areas in and around the door area to get it lined up.---------------------------------------Layer in 'Normal' blending mode.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132264.jpgLayer in 'Multiply' blending mode. You can see the 'two doors' in the upper left, one from your paint and the other on the base image.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/132274.jpg---------------------------------------After you have got it lined up properly then change the blending mode of this layer back to 'Normal'.Now you will need to repeat the above for the other three base image parts. Here's the tip I found on this forum from Ben of the PSS Team..."Paint your livery into the master template, then save it as a bitmap.Open the bitmap and copy the fuselage of say the left hand side, and then paste it into the main texture file, eg PSS-B773Main_t.psdSet its layer properties to Multiply so you can see the blank base texture underneath and line them up via either panel lines or doors, set the layer properties back to normal and your done.Just repeat for the other 3 fuselage segments.Cheers,Ben."You are now ready to flatten this and save it wherever you want as... PSS-B772Main_t.bmpThe same must be done for the other three files...PSS-B772Gen_t.psdPSS-B772Main_t.psdPSS-B772VStab_t.psdexcept you only have to paint them as you see fit(if at all, you will want to at least paint PSS-B772VStab_t.psd), then flatten them, then save them as bitmaps of the same name...PSS-B772Gen_t.bmpPSS-B772Main_t.bmpPSS-B772VStab_t.bmpIn other words, you do not have to paint these last three on a template first and then paste onto a base image contained in another .psd file. You just paint on them, flatten, save as a bitmap.---------------------------------------FINALLY you are now ready for the last step, and it is required! You will need to use either 'Image Tool' or 'DXTBmp'.I use DXTBmp available from... http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/Make sure to get the DXTBmp program and then the mwgfx.dll package, which are seperate.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htmhttp://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/graphix.htm#dllsOpen up your first bitmap with DXTBmp and then select to save it as an 'Extented Bitmap'. After chosing that there is a drop-down menu, 'Save as type', where you can select what format you want...'Extended 32-bit 888-8' will give you a full quality 32-bit format compatible with FS2004.'DXT3' will give you a smaller filesize with slightly less quality 16-bit format compatible with FS2004.Repeat for the other three files and you're finally finished and ready to check out your paint in the sim!Whew, I hope that helps and wasnt' too much for you! :)Cheers,Jimmy Richards

Guest OneTinSoldier

I should mention one last thing... for now anyway.Before you check out your paint you will need to copy over the four *_l.bmp files...PSS-B772Bottom_l.bmpPSS-B772GEN_l.bmpPSS-B772GEN_l.bmpPSS-B772VStab_l.bmpfrom the PSS 777's original 'Texture' folder into the Texture.paintjob folder that you put your four files into. I think they're called 'lightmaps'.Cheers,Jimmy Richards

Guest markusr

Hello Jimmy,wow, great! Will try this at home than. Thanks for your great instruction.greetingsMarkus

Guest OneTinSoldier

You're welcome Markus and I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes and I hope to see a paint in here from you. ;)Cheers,Jimmy Richards

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.