Sign in to follow this  
Guest KL741-KL742

THE BEACONS STROBE LIGHT ?????

Good Evening, I have finally downloaded and loaded the all 777 series, The B777 is very excellent, congrats PSS, A one bug, is beacons lights strobe , the flash do not equal a real B777 and no reflects, the flashing is similar a 4 emergency lights flashing of the car.... :-eek The strobes wings Lights is ok, my suggestion , if possible correct a this bug with a real lights strobes :-wave Best Regards and Thanks You A.Cristiano

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi PSS, et-al.Yes, I'm digging up this 2 month old issue to see if anyone can help explain this to me.I can't figure out why the strobes on the PSS 777 aren't modelled correctly? In real life, both the red anti-collision beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) and white strobes (wingtips and tail) are high intensity strobe lights. If you get within 50 ft of these babies on the real 777 they are all but blinding. Maybe I don't know enough about what makes different light emmiting objects work in FS, so if it can't be done, could someone take a minute to explain why? It just seems to me that if FS allows an object to flash like the REIL (Runway End Identification Lights) or Sequenced Flashers (included in the approach light systems) that a similar object could be created for the strobes on the T7.Thanks in advance,Jeff

Now I kmow what is missing! I just got off a flight on my trusty Airbus 320 and note how beautifully the beacons flash and reflect off the fuselage and engines, and how bright the anticollision lights appear.This is a big loss of realism on the 777, and it is surprising that it was left out. Hope it can be correctly modeled, as they did it will on the Airbus.Greg

Hi Greg.Yes, that is exactly what I'm refering to. As far as the 777 is concerned, PSS got it right when it comes to the manner in which the strobes and beacons are sequenced. The red beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) flash at the same time and the white strobes (wingtips and tail) flash at the same time but independently of the red beacons. This is correct as each set of lights (the 2 red and the 3 white) are on different circuits and therefore will seldom flash at the same instant as the other set. I'm not expecting PSS to get the timing of each circuit exactly right - what they have now is okay. But I do wish they would replace the current set of strobes and beacons with actual strobe-type lights as on the real 777.Jeff

Hi Guy's.this all sounds interesting and strange at the same time, is there any chance of any screen shots for comparison at all.thanks,

Hi Steve.I'm not sure a screen shot would suffice, but here is a way for you to see what I'm talking about. Position you PSS 777 at C83 (Byron airport in California) on rwy 30 at dusk. The stock scenery for C83 has REIL on rwy 30, so if you're using an add-on scenery for C83, you may not see what it is I'm trying to explain. And yes, it's a very short runway, but don't worry... we won't be taking off. :)Make sure the APU or engines are running in order that you have electrical power and turn on both the NAV and STROBE lights via the switches on the overhead panel. Now go to spot view and look at the difference between the manner in which the REIL (the white strobe lights at opposing sides of the runway threshold) and the red and white 'strobes' on the 777 are flashing. The REIL flash with a burst of light (like the flash bulb of a camera), but the 'strobes' on the 777 flash much more slowly. The 'strobes' on the real 777 produce the same burst of light as you see coming from the REIL. I see this same burst effect coming from the strobes on many, if not all, of the Project AI aircraft.The rate at which the 'strobes' on the PSS 777 flash (about once every 1.5 - 2 seconds) is fine. I just think it would look more realistic if they flashed with the same burst of light like the REIL do.Hope that explains what I'm talking about.Norman (PSS) - If you're out there... Thanks for listening! :)Jeff

Now you're talking!!! Good pics James. The guys who took those pictures were either quite fortunate to catch the red anti-collision strobe at the split second it pulsed or - more likely seeing as these were night shots - they had the shutter open for a second or two.Here's a video example (just found this moments ago) which demonstrates the pulse effect I'm refering to. Unfortunately, the red strobes in this video don't appear as bright as they would during the night: http://www.aviationexplorer.com/Continenta...777_Takeoff.htmIf PSS can make the 777 strobes flash like the flash on a camera and make them bright, they will have nailed it!Jeff

Love the Continental Livery!Never mind if we get lights like that, if we get sounds like that we are there, actually in the left hand seat!!RegardsJames

Agreed! But I still want the lights. :)P.S. For more cool 777 videos, visit: www.flightlevel350.com.

>Norman (PSS) - If you're out there... Thanks for listening! Always Jeff. Always :)

typical isn't it, I couldn't get the video to open for the life of me, all I got was the web page, and a blank window where the video should be with a small red cross in the top left corner, despite adding it, and letting the pop up blocker allowing it. oh well,but, I do see what you are all talking about regarding the strobes and wing lights and anti collision beacons, they look fantastic I must admit.:-eekit's quite funny, I have always been a lighting freak, I suppose this comes from when I had my fixed wing PPL, I always preferred flying at night, admiring the city lights, and all those approach lights and runway / taxi lights, it's great. but this was always something that I have found very lacking in flight simulator,:-mad no matter which version you may have, FS9 has got better, but, it still leaves a lot to be desired. and I still maintain that we should have an option to turn on the Runway Lights and Taxiway Lights etc, even in the day time.:-grras usual, PSS have given us a product that is always moving forward, and trying to implement new technology as well. the things on the list are no doubt being looked into, and will be fixed as and whenever possible, but, a few extra things such as these lighting effects and the roll out would be marvellous implementations, and would do nothing more than emphasise the fact that the PSS Team do indeed listen to their Customers.:-kewldid I mention that I would love to hear an APU sound as well,:-shy LDS have long used one, in fact, I am impressed at the way that theirs even "winds up" so to speak, it kind of gets louder as it gets ready for full APU power distribution, I have never seen this before, there normally either on of off, with nothing in between.:-zhelpnow, all these things would truly set PSS on a pedestal that would be very high in the add-on market.:-eekjust my forty five pounds worth :-beerchug

Well now! Another light freak. It's true then... The (Light) Freaks Come Out At Night! :)I have to tell you Steve, that for me, night is also one of my most favorite times to go flying. I've had my Private Pilot's license for almost 15 years now and I never get tired of flying at night. It's all about the final approach and landing! I love the look of the multi-colored lights on the airfield - green, white, red, blue, yellow and how they all play a role in guiding you around at night. My friends and I would often fly into Sacramento Intl (KSMF) at night just so we could ask the tower if they would crank up all the runway and approach lights on their CATIII runway 16R for demonstration purposes. They were always happy to oblige. According to the guys in the tower, the lights and Sequence Flashers of the ALSF-2 approach light system can been seen over 100nm away at full intensity on a clear night. Now THAT is puttin' out the candlepower!Oh yeah, we were talking about the strobe lights on the 777. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I don't know enough about what makes the light emmiting object in FS work, so we'll have to leave that up to the guys who do know. From my simplistic view, it seems it would be possible to get the same strobe effect that is seen on other aircraft and apply that to the white strobe lights and red beacons on the 777. You know, I could almost live with the workaround I use to keep my T7 on centerline during rollout if they would only implement the strobe lights. :) You're right... it's all about the lights! :)Jeff

I just got that video to work, I forgot about trying it in Mozilla,:-roll worked a charm, (and who says IE6 isn't secure with SP2)but, those huge engines did sound fantastic all the same, it's quite surprising at how huge engines like these just don't deafen you like they used to. I remember hearing 744's take off, at which point you couldn't hear a thing afterwards for about twenty minutes,:-eekbut I still want the lights though . . :-shy

Yeah those big high-bypass turbofans really sheild the shockwaves emitted from the exhaust cone of the engine. Here's a snippet from the GE Aircraft Engine website: "Up to 90% of the air pulled in by the fan is channeled around the major components of the engine, bypassing the compressor, combustor and turbine." That is why it is so quiet when standing close by a 777 during throttle up and takeoff roll. What's really cool is the sound that comes from the large N1 fan at the front of the engine as its massive blades cut through the air creating that distinctive and oh so lovely 'growl' we all like to hear. For instance, try this video on for size: http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=777And here's another interesting factoid from the same website: "The large front-mounted fan of a high-bypass turbofan draws in huge volumes of air, on the order of 2400 pounds/second. That's enough to vacuum all the air out of Madison Square Garden in 4 seconds." E-Gad!Oh, that's right, this is the beacon/strobe thread. Sorry about that. Got a little carried away.

Norman, or Steve, what do you guy's think about this, you can see from the amount of views and comments that this is a fairly hot topic.many thanks,

Hi Steve,It is good to see the community members discuss issues like this in a rational manner.I can assure you the views and comments made here, have reached the right "people".As I write this to you, work on the patch continues, although I can not confirm at this time if the lighting effects will be part of the patch.regards,

Hi Steve,thank you for getting back to us all on this, as you can see, there are quite a lot of people who have commented on this, and a lot more who are watching this thread very carefully,perhaps, when the developers know a little more about whats actually going to be incorporated into the SP, you might give us a list.many thanks,Steve,on a personal note though, an APU sound would be a welcome addition, but the lighting is a major factor for a lot of us, I saw a few T7's the other day out of EGLL, they are indeed very bright, and those engines sound lovely.

>on a personal note though, an APU sound would be a welcome>addition, but the lighting is a major factor for a lot of usI agree on the lighting, however the APU can't actually be heared in the flightdeck, the only thing to tell you if the APU is on is either look at the EICAS memo, or look on the OH Panel, and see if the APU is switched on.Cheers

Hi Ian,I was referring to spot view regarding the APU sound,it's not uncommon for people to fire up FS9 and sit there for a little while to just watch and listen to the traffic etc whilst connected to VATSIM, this coupled with ASV and Flight Environment can make for some great "spotting" fun, so we would hear the running APU, which would be powering all of our systems, including the "Lighting" as well.thanks,

Hi again all,I wanted to bring this topic back up to the top of the agenda once again,because so many of us feel that it is very important, just to get some clarification, hopefully from either Norman or Steve, but, there has been little in the way of feed-back on weather or not any of these items are indeed being added.I appreciate that there is a list of items in the pined topic that are being worked on, but, I do feel, as do a lot of other people that the items mentioned in this thread are necessary to the up-coming patch from a "Realism" point, things like the APU Sound, the Strobes etc and Landing Lights are all part of the product and would boost the look and feel of this add-on in many ways.with the items listed in the news posts about the T7, with things such as Too Many to List, that is correct in my opinion, but, the things in this thread do seem to have been missed off.comments such as "I can't figure out why the strobes on the PSS 777 aren't modelled correctly? In real life, both the red anti-collision beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) and white strobes (wingtips and tail) are high intensity strobe lights. If you get within 50 ft of these babies on the real 777 they are all but blinding. Maybe I don't know enough about what makes different light emitting objects work in FS, so if it can't be done, could someone take a minute to explain why? It just seems to me that if FS allows an object to flash like the REIL (Runway End Identification Lights) or Sequenced Flashers (included in the approach light systems) that a similar object could be created for the strobes on the T7" from Jeff, and "Now I know what is missing! I just got off a flight on my trusty Airbus 320 and note how beautifully the beacons flash and reflect off the fuselage and engines, and how bright the anti collision lights appear.This is a big loss of realism on the 777, and it is surprising that it was left out. Hope it can be correctly modelled, as they did it will on the Airbus" from Greg, then theres the comment from James "I went to airliners.net, have a look for yourself, the PSS lights are no where near as bright as these" and "if we get sounds like that we are there, actually in the left hand seat". then there was one of my comments on the APU, "did I mention that I would love to hear an APU sound as well, LDS have long used one, in fact, I am impressed at the way that theirs even "winds up" so to speak, it kind of gets louder as it gets ready for full APU power distribution, I have never seen this before, there normally either on of off, with nothing in between" just to give you a few reminders of what we are discussing here,I inserted these comments in here just as a reminder, and to save you re-reading the whole thread over again.just to finish off, I am in No Way Whatsoever Complaining about this product, I just feel that these few additions to the T7 would bring up the "Realism" feeling again in the product by leaps and bounds, which has already been achieved with the incorporation of the Weather Radar implementation.thanks very much again all,

Hi Steve,I think we may just have to "wait and see" on this one. Yes, it would be nice to have the strobes look more realistic and the APU generate an authentic sound (from spot view, not the flightdeck) and I'm certain that most, if not all, requests mentioned on this forum have been put on a list of some type even though PSS has not directly said so. Norman and company mentioned in a separate post that the release of the 757 will wait until after the T7 patch comes out, so I don't think we have to worry that the predominant focus is on anything but fixing their currently released product. To me, that indicates that they have heard the call of the T7 user community and are responding accordingly. Time and resources will dictate what is included in the patch. Perhaps PSS can post what items are on the list, but that is up to the discretion of PSS.Regards,Jeff

Sign in to follow this