Sign in to follow this  
Guest KL741-KL742

THE BEACONS STROBE LIGHT ?????

Guest KL741-KL742

Good Evening, I have finally downloaded and loaded the all 777 series, The B777 is very excellent, congrats PSS, A one bug, is beacons lights strobe , the flash do not equal a real B777 and no reflects, the flashing is similar a 4 emergency lights flashing of the car.... :-eek The strobes wings Lights is ok, my suggestion , if possible correct a this bug with a real lights strobes :-wave Best Regards and Thanks You A.Cristiano

Guest FlyinJ

Hi PSS, et-al.Yes, I'm digging up this 2 month old issue to see if anyone can help explain this to me.I can't figure out why the strobes on the PSS 777 aren't modelled correctly? In real life, both the red anti-collision beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) and white strobes (wingtips and tail) are high intensity strobe lights. If you get within 50 ft of these babies on the real 777 they are all but blinding. Maybe I don't know enough about what makes different light emmiting objects work in FS, so if it can't be done, could someone take a minute to explain why? It just seems to me that if FS allows an object to flash like the REIL (Runway End Identification Lights) or Sequenced Flashers (included in the approach light systems) that a similar object could be created for the strobes on the T7.Thanks in advance,Jeff

Now I kmow what is missing! I just got off a flight on my trusty Airbus 320 and note how beautifully the beacons flash and reflect off the fuselage and engines, and how bright the anticollision lights appear.This is a big loss of realism on the 777, and it is surprising that it was left out. Hope it can be correctly modeled, as they did it will on the Airbus.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Greg.Yes, that is exactly what I'm refering to. As far as the 777 is concerned, PSS got it right when it comes to the manner in which the strobes and beacons are sequenced. The red beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) flash at the same time and the white strobes (wingtips and tail) flash at the same time but independently of the red beacons. This is correct as each set of lights (the 2 red and the 3 white) are on different circuits and therefore will seldom flash at the same instant as the other set. I'm not expecting PSS to get the timing of each circuit exactly right - what they have now is okay. But I do wish they would replace the current set of strobes and beacons with actual strobe-type lights as on the real 777.Jeff

Guest sb55mv

Hi Guy's.this all sounds interesting and strange at the same time, is there any chance of any screen shots for comparison at all.thanks,

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Steve.I'm not sure a screen shot would suffice, but here is a way for you to see what I'm talking about. Position you PSS 777 at C83 (Byron airport in California) on rwy 30 at dusk. The stock scenery for C83 has REIL on rwy 30, so if you're using an add-on scenery for C83, you may not see what it is I'm trying to explain. And yes, it's a very short runway, but don't worry... we won't be taking off. :)Make sure the APU or engines are running in order that you have electrical power and turn on both the NAV and STROBE lights via the switches on the overhead panel. Now go to spot view and look at the difference between the manner in which the REIL (the white strobe lights at opposing sides of the runway threshold) and the red and white 'strobes' on the 777 are flashing. The REIL flash with a burst of light (like the flash bulb of a camera), but the 'strobes' on the 777 flash much more slowly. The 'strobes' on the real 777 produce the same burst of light as you see coming from the REIL. I see this same burst effect coming from the strobes on many, if not all, of the Project AI aircraft.The rate at which the 'strobes' on the PSS 777 flash (about once every 1.5 - 2 seconds) is fine. I just think it would look more realistic if they flashed with the same burst of light like the REIL do.Hope that explains what I'm talking about.Norman (PSS) - If you're out there... Thanks for listening! :)Jeff

Guest FlyinJ

Now you're talking!!! Good pics James. The guys who took those pictures were either quite fortunate to catch the red anti-collision strobe at the split second it pulsed or - more likely seeing as these were night shots - they had the shutter open for a second or two.Here's a video example (just found this moments ago) which demonstrates the pulse effect I'm refering to. Unfortunately, the red strobes in this video don't appear as bright as they would during the night: http://www.aviationexplorer.com/Continenta...777_Takeoff.htmIf PSS can make the 777 strobes flash like the flash on a camera and make them bright, they will have nailed it!Jeff

Love the Continental Livery!Never mind if we get lights like that, if we get sounds like that we are there, actually in the left hand seat!!RegardsJames

Guest FlyinJ

Agreed! But I still want the lights. :)P.S. For more cool 777 videos, visit: www.flightlevel350.com.

Guest NormanB

>Norman (PSS) - If you're out there... Thanks for listening! Always Jeff. Always :)

Guest Pilot53

So any chance that this can be implemented?

Guest sb55mv

typical isn't it, I couldn't get the video to open for the life of me, all I got was the web page, and a blank window where the video should be with a small red cross in the top left corner, despite adding it, and letting the pop up blocker allowing it. oh well,but, I do see what you are all talking about regarding the strobes and wing lights and anti collision beacons, they look fantastic I must admit.:-eekit's quite funny, I have always been a lighting freak, I suppose this comes from when I had my fixed wing PPL, I always preferred flying at night, admiring the city lights, and all those approach lights and runway / taxi lights, it's great. but this was always something that I have found very lacking in flight simulator,:-mad no matter which version you may have, FS9 has got better, but, it still leaves a lot to be desired. and I still maintain that we should have an option to turn on the Runway Lights and Taxiway Lights etc, even in the day time.:-grras usual, PSS have given us a product that is always moving forward, and trying to implement new technology as well. the things on the list are no doubt being looked into, and will be fixed as and whenever possible, but, a few extra things such as these lighting effects and the roll out would be marvellous implementations, and would do nothing more than emphasise the fact that the PSS Team do indeed listen to their Customers.:-kewldid I mention that I would love to hear an APU sound as well,:-shy LDS have long used one, in fact, I am impressed at the way that theirs even "winds up" so to speak, it kind of gets louder as it gets ready for full APU power distribution, I have never seen this before, there normally either on of off, with nothing in between.:-zhelpnow, all these things would truly set PSS on a pedestal that would be very high in the add-on market.:-eekjust my forty five pounds worth :-beerchug

Guest FlyinJ

Well now! Another light freak. It's true then... The (Light) Freaks Come Out At Night! :)I have to tell you Steve, that for me, night is also one of my most favorite times to go flying. I've had my Private Pilot's license for almost 15 years now and I never get tired of flying at night. It's all about the final approach and landing! I love the look of the multi-colored lights on the airfield - green, white, red, blue, yellow and how they all play a role in guiding you around at night. My friends and I would often fly into Sacramento Intl (KSMF) at night just so we could ask the tower if they would crank up all the runway and approach lights on their CATIII runway 16R for demonstration purposes. They were always happy to oblige. According to the guys in the tower, the lights and Sequence Flashers of the ALSF-2 approach light system can been seen over 100nm away at full intensity on a clear night. Now THAT is puttin' out the candlepower!Oh yeah, we were talking about the strobe lights on the 777. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I don't know enough about what makes the light emmiting object in FS work, so we'll have to leave that up to the guys who do know. From my simplistic view, it seems it would be possible to get the same strobe effect that is seen on other aircraft and apply that to the white strobe lights and red beacons on the 777. You know, I could almost live with the workaround I use to keep my T7 on centerline during rollout if they would only implement the strobe lights. :) You're right... it's all about the lights! :)Jeff

Guest sb55mv

I just got that video to work, I forgot about trying it in Mozilla,:-roll worked a charm, (and who says IE6 isn't secure with SP2)but, those huge engines did sound fantastic all the same, it's quite surprising at how huge engines like these just don't deafen you like they used to. I remember hearing 744's take off, at which point you couldn't hear a thing afterwards for about twenty minutes,:-eekbut I still want the lights though . . :-shy

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.