Sign in to follow this  
Guest KL741-KL742

THE BEACONS STROBE LIGHT ?????

Guest FlyinJ

Yeah those big high-bypass turbofans really sheild the shockwaves emitted from the exhaust cone of the engine. Here's a snippet from the GE Aircraft Engine website: "Up to 90% of the air pulled in by the fan is channeled around the major components of the engine, bypassing the compressor, combustor and turbine." That is why it is so quiet when standing close by a 777 during throttle up and takeoff roll. What's really cool is the sound that comes from the large N1 fan at the front of the engine as its massive blades cut through the air creating that distinctive and oh so lovely 'growl' we all like to hear. For instance, try this video on for size: http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=777And here's another interesting factoid from the same website: "The large front-mounted fan of a high-bypass turbofan draws in huge volumes of air, on the order of 2400 pounds/second. That's enough to vacuum all the air out of Madison Square Garden in 4 seconds." E-Gad!Oh, that's right, this is the beacon/strobe thread. Sorry about that. Got a little carried away.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang,what do You think about this Norman,thanks.

Guest sb55mv

Norman, or Steve, what do you guy's think about this, you can see from the amount of views and comments that this is a fairly hot topic.many thanks,

Guest Phoenix5

Hi Steve,It is good to see the community members discuss issues like this in a rational manner.I can assure you the views and comments made here, have reached the right "people".As I write this to you, work on the patch continues, although I can not confirm at this time if the lighting effects will be part of the patch.regards,

Guest sb55mv

Hi Steve,thank you for getting back to us all on this, as you can see, there are quite a lot of people who have commented on this, and a lot more who are watching this thread very carefully,perhaps, when the developers know a little more about whats actually going to be incorporated into the SP, you might give us a list.many thanks,Steve,on a personal note though, an APU sound would be a welcome addition, but the lighting is a major factor for a lot of us, I saw a few T7's the other day out of EGLL, they are indeed very bright, and those engines sound lovely.

>on a personal note though, an APU sound would be a welcome>addition, but the lighting is a major factor for a lot of usI agree on the lighting, however the APU can't actually be heared in the flightdeck, the only thing to tell you if the APU is on is either look at the EICAS memo, or look on the OH Panel, and see if the APU is switched on.Cheers

Guest sb55mv

Hi Ian,I was referring to spot view regarding the APU sound,it's not uncommon for people to fire up FS9 and sit there for a little while to just watch and listen to the traffic etc whilst connected to VATSIM, this coupled with ASV and Flight Environment can make for some great "spotting" fun, so we would hear the running APU, which would be powering all of our systems, including the "Lighting" as well.thanks,

Guest sb55mv

Hi again all,I wanted to bring this topic back up to the top of the agenda once again,because so many of us feel that it is very important, just to get some clarification, hopefully from either Norman or Steve, but, there has been little in the way of feed-back on weather or not any of these items are indeed being added.I appreciate that there is a list of items in the pined topic that are being worked on, but, I do feel, as do a lot of other people that the items mentioned in this thread are necessary to the up-coming patch from a "Realism" point, things like the APU Sound, the Strobes etc and Landing Lights are all part of the product and would boost the look and feel of this add-on in many ways.with the items listed in the news posts about the T7, with things such as Too Many to List, that is correct in my opinion, but, the things in this thread do seem to have been missed off.comments such as "I can't figure out why the strobes on the PSS 777 aren't modelled correctly? In real life, both the red anti-collision beacons (top and bottom of fuselage) and white strobes (wingtips and tail) are high intensity strobe lights. If you get within 50 ft of these babies on the real 777 they are all but blinding. Maybe I don't know enough about what makes different light emitting objects work in FS, so if it can't be done, could someone take a minute to explain why? It just seems to me that if FS allows an object to flash like the REIL (Runway End Identification Lights) or Sequenced Flashers (included in the approach light systems) that a similar object could be created for the strobes on the T7" from Jeff, and "Now I know what is missing! I just got off a flight on my trusty Airbus 320 and note how beautifully the beacons flash and reflect off the fuselage and engines, and how bright the anti collision lights appear.This is a big loss of realism on the 777, and it is surprising that it was left out. Hope it can be correctly modelled, as they did it will on the Airbus" from Greg, then theres the comment from James "I went to airliners.net, have a look for yourself, the PSS lights are no where near as bright as these" and "if we get sounds like that we are there, actually in the left hand seat". then there was one of my comments on the APU, "did I mention that I would love to hear an APU sound as well, LDS have long used one, in fact, I am impressed at the way that theirs even "winds up" so to speak, it kind of gets louder as it gets ready for full APU power distribution, I have never seen this before, there normally either on of off, with nothing in between" just to give you a few reminders of what we are discussing here,I inserted these comments in here just as a reminder, and to save you re-reading the whole thread over again.just to finish off, I am in No Way Whatsoever Complaining about this product, I just feel that these few additions to the T7 would bring up the "Realism" feeling again in the product by leaps and bounds, which has already been achieved with the incorporation of the Weather Radar implementation.thanks very much again all,

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Steve,I think we may just have to "wait and see" on this one. Yes, it would be nice to have the strobes look more realistic and the APU generate an authentic sound (from spot view, not the flightdeck) and I'm certain that most, if not all, requests mentioned on this forum have been put on a list of some type even though PSS has not directly said so. Norman and company mentioned in a separate post that the release of the 757 will wait until after the T7 patch comes out, so I don't think we have to worry that the predominant focus is on anything but fixing their currently released product. To me, that indicates that they have heard the call of the T7 user community and are responding accordingly. Time and resources will dictate what is included in the patch. Perhaps PSS can post what items are on the list, but that is up to the discretion of PSS.Regards,Jeff

Guest sb55mv

Thanks Jeff,I would like to get Norman and Steve's fed back on this as well,

Guest Phoenix 1

Hopefully this may go some way to a reason.. The FS REIL Lights and runways strobes etc, are the EXACT same light FX's used on the 777.. My point however is a simple one, If you get as close to these FS FX lights as you do the T7 they will be equally dull .. Vice Versa if you get Far away from the T7 the lights will appear WAY too bright .. Sorry, Not an excuse but simply a FS Limitation ( hopefully changed in FSX ?)

Guest Pilot53

If it is a limitation why dont all aircraft have this problem? Obviously someone has overcome this limitaion.

Guest NormanB

>If it is a limitation why dont all aircraft have this>problem? Obviously someone has overcome this limitaion.Mike (I think thats your name),Graham has mentioned the methodology utilised in creating the strobes. This remains within the guidleines of the MSFS SDK. In short this means that at least our strobes (and in general the plane) is more future proof than perhaps others. This then means come FSX that you and our other customers will be in a better position to fly the 777 in the new simulator either right away or with the minimum amount of fuss.The alternative is major patching which could possibly come at a cost (purely speculative you understand) - this is something we want to avoid.

Can we get the reflections on the fuselage though like in the Airbus 3XX series?GReg

Greg Clark

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.