Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

Is it really that quiet up front?

I notice that when you power the aircraft up but the engines are still off, there isn't a sound on the flight deck at all. I know the 777 equipment cooling exhaust system is quieter than the older boeing 7*7 series aircraft, but I'd have expected at least some cooling fan noise?

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

It isn't at all bad once the engines are running, the ambience is brilliant at that stage. Seriously brilliant.My only concern is that the pre-start absence of any hum or whirr or sound of the aircon system deducts ever so slightly from the anticipation and excitement you feel as you count down the last 10 minutes to push back for an atlantic crossing. I've always thought that the real pleasure of truly good addons like this comes from the intangible stimuli that suggest you really are there. The sun visors, the armrests, the engine variations, all these things go the extra distance to make the plane seem more alive than it really is.I'm not suggesting at all that PSS has got it wrong, nor do I WANT to hear the APU from the cockpit or the deafening roar of the engines on take off. I accept that these things are muted in the real 777. What I would like is to have some subtle sound of life in the beast before pushback. If there were a way to make this modification for my own purposes I would do so and not bother PSS with it!Anyway, if one of the PSS crew sees this and has any comment to make I'd be interested in hearing it. As it is I'm blown away by the product and am simply offering my view on I feel what would take it well and truly into the '5 Avsim stars' realm! (It's there anyway I'd have thought!)Sorry about the long post, I got all carried away here!

Mark Adeane - NZWN

I couldn't have put it better myself Mark! What you said is exactly how I feel. That is why I have already stated before that PSS could have done a better job at cockpit ambience with the callouts during takeoff, with more realistic engine noise from the cockpit during takeoff and engine start... Imagine how cool it would be to hear that dull thud coming form the nose gear that is running down the centerline lights increase in frequency as we accelerate down the runway and then hear that computerized voice V1! But there is not much they can do in terms of clicks and whirrs coming from inside the flight deck. It is simply that quiet. Or maybe it isn;t that quiet but it is such a repetitive white noise that I can;t really remember about it being there. The only thing you can hear which I just remembered is the noise coming from the air conditioning exhausts on the ceiling behind the circuit breakers.Something that would personnally take it home for me and make me feel like I was there is what you hear when we pressurize the aircraft prior to pushback and start. I'll try to describe it but it really is impossible. What happens is that when ground personnel clears us to pressurize the 777 and we switch on the fuel tanks and then switch all hydraulic pumps to auto, the aircraft suddenly seems to take a deep breath and hold it. All of a sudden the very faint hums and whirs that you were hearing uncounsciously from the flightdeck just abruptly die and all that is left is the faint hum of the air entering the cabin from the exhausts. and then the pushback starts. It's so cool. You think to yourself: "well the show has just begun" and then you rotate the engine start switch and you feel more than you hear a distant rumbling that grows ever so slightly in intensity as N2 increases.Everytime I get the chance to witness a 777 flight form the cockpit that is the moment I like best. Well, CAT II landings and then that!Victorhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Nice to know we're 'on the same page' Victor! The pressurisation effect you're talking about sounds pretty cool! PSS are officially 'top-dog' if they could replicate that.And no matter how subtle the flight deck sounds are on the real thing, they add so much to the experience. I'll leave the issue here as I don't want to sound obsessed or demanding, but consideration of my (and Victor's!) point is all I ask.Cheers!

Mark Adeane - NZWN

Indeed - sound is crucial in creating ambience - some avionics noise would be good. Anyone wanting cockpit fan noise add this to your sound.cfg:(GYRO_SOUND) <---------use brackets of coursefilename=insert filename hereflags=0viewpoint=1Add your favourite cockpit sound from any number of other soundsets to the PSS sound folder an voila - fan noise.Also I spent some time last week adding custom sounds to the (xml) switches of a panel I bought - the difference it makes in the sim is amazing imho - really gives you an almost tactile sense when operating the panel. I'm sorry PSS uses the .gau format - I'd have had a ball livening things up a just a bit, a nice muted sound for pushbuttons, quiet click for rotary knobs - oh well...As far as it's modelled it's aa fine bird though - took my first test flight today and all went well right up to fl390 - then the stupid truck damaged my nearby utility pole...regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Guest dt1951

Imagine that. We ask for a realistic simulation. When we get, we want it changed to be unrealistic so that we can imagine realism. Personally, I like the engines, et al, just where they belong and not in the cockpit with me. Having sat in first class on many real world flights, there just isn't that much noise up front. About the only real sound is the air over the fuselage. Engine noise can be heard during flight transitions (start up but barely, takeoff, climb, cruise intitiate when it gets really quiet, etc...). I think PSS has done an admirable job with the sound modelling (the same with the LDS-763). Keep up the good work!!

Guest CX330_CPA Virtual

Also i was told by a certain 777 pilot, that the engines, apu, etc are virtually silent in the cockpit until engines are throttled up to about 60-80% N1.. otherwise all you really hear is ocassional thump of nose gear going over concrete panel seams and joints while taxiing.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_16.gifhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/banner_es.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/855693/848.png

that is about right, except for the white noise i described on the background which is always there nut not consciously noticeable. But like I said, on the real bird the engine startup sounds different. Maybe it

I like engines and apu outside where they belong too, but I do not like dead silence when I should be hearing a gentle flow of air when prepping at the stand - I'm talking finesse here, and I'm content to do it myself. The soundset is excellent.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lsd2.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.