Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Non Working 4200Ti

I sure could use some help on this one.I purchased a MSI 4200Ti 8x64meg card. When I went to install the driver on the CD that came with the card all seemed to go fine. When it finished loading the driver I got the message. (An error occurred during the installation of this device. The data is invalid.) I then downloaded the 41.09 driver from Nvidia and tried to install it, no luck I got the same message. I then reinstalled the gforce2 Leadtek card I was running and tried to install the 41.09 driver I had downloaded but I received the same message. I then put the CD that came with the Leadtek card and installed the driver on the CD. I was then able to update the driver to the 41.09 I had downloaded.I am running Win 2000 Pro so that precludes the possibilty of using detonator distroyer. It seems that some files from the Leadtek card are remaining on my harddrive not letting me install the gforce4.Or something I haven't thought of.P4 1.61gig 2100 DDR80gig Seagate 350 Watt power supply 3.3V-----24A 5V-------35A 12V------12AWindows 2000ProThanks Chuck

Had similar problem with 128 ti4600 card. Only way I resolved it was to reformat HD then install new card and then the operating sytem. Took the card no problems.Op sys Win ME.Pain in the ..s but worth it. I got a clean FS install which cleared all the junk out of my FS.

Hi Chuck,i have exactly the same card as you -- a msi 4200ti 64mb. Never experienced any driver installation problems with it on Win2k.My guess is to remove your graphics card driver completely (settings->software->remove) and make sure you boot into the standard vga driver (settable via display->properties->advanced->graphics card->driver settings). Then you should insert your driver cd. The msi drivers (especially the 3100) are very compatible and very stable by the way.hope this helps a bit.ru,Patrick

www.guru3d.com has the `Detonator 30.xx to 40.xx fix` file that solves these problems. It's a known issue when going from 20 and 30 series drivers to the 40-somethings.ChasW

I also recommend you visit http://www.guru3d.com/ to read/download the proper way to install drivers. You may have left-over driver files that are corrupting your new installation.While visiting, download any tools and drivers you want to try. Please follow the directions completely and I think you will fix your problem.