Sign in to follow this  

New civilian flight sim due in March?!

I've been hoping someone else would step into the ring and keep the competitive pressure on MS, but I haven't heard a peep about this product until I found it on EB:JANES CIVILIAN FLGHT SIM PChttp://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/prod...sp?pf_id=229095Looks interesting - but I can't find any additional info ANYWHERE. Google search turns up nothing, and even the Xicat homepage does not reference the product yet. Unfortunately, judging my the user comments, the publisher does not have a reputation for quality (to put it midly). Anyone know anything about this title?

Guest GalacticCowboy

by different companies. So comparisons between them are useless. The DEVELOPER, not the PUBLISHER, is generally the key component of how well a game is supported. What we'd REALLY need to know is, who is developing this title?Just noticed this on the Xicat page. In Dec. 2001 they signed an exclusive deal with Janes. So any new "Janes" title, no matter who develops it, is going to be published by Xicat...

Two people gave it one out of 5 starts! Customer service is king!David

Guest tcable

I'm guessing that it is X-plane, but what do I know.Tim

Well the fact that no one has heard anything about it and it is due out in a month, tells a lot about it in my opinion.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Grunt

The price tag too...when was the last time you bought a stand alone application that was of any kind of quality for 20 bucks? I never have!A good add on for FS2002 can cost twice that much! I'll take my 20 bucks and put it towards LOMAC or the F1 Meridian I think...Great Lakes Express VAKDTW

Well, if you'll indulge a bit of unrealisticly wishful thinking: Perhaps they bought some of the assests from Looking Glass, and this is Flight Unlimited 4! Remember, LG was also working on a military sim, hence the tie-in with the "Janes" label. FANTASY>If only.... Well, I guess a new title in this genre can't be a bad thing, can it?John

Guest Grunt

Good point...a new title can't be bad I guess. I really liked Flight Unlimited III (it was the sim that switched me from military to civ sims...too bad it was so unstable on my system!) and it would be great for a FUIV!Great Lakes Express VAKDTW

Not heard anything about this one, but the idea that it might be based on Flight Unlimited is intriguing, that flight model and atmospheric modelling in FU was, and still is, streets ahead of FS and personally I think it's better than X-Plane too, especially the gliding stuff which is some of the best ever done. Fly 2 does it better as well!Janes reputation took a serious nosedive with Attack Squadron and X-Plane has already had a limited boxed release at thirty pounds (UK) but that was a bit of a cash generator in my opinion as they immediately upgraded it after I, and many others I suppose, stupidly bought it only to discover that you couldn't upgrade it to the newer version as had previously been the case. 'Laminar Research' my #####, 'Laminar (cash)flow' more like!Guess I'll be watching this one with interest...

I was actually just kidding around when I suggested Xicat bought the Flight Unlimited code from LG, but after a bit more research, I found, amazingly, THEY ACTUALLY DID! Here's an article that mentions the link between Xicat and LG:http://pc.ign.com/articles/358/358587p1.htmlUnfortunately, their first product seemed to, well, suck. However, that was based on the unfinished combat version of FU3. Now that I know Xicat really does own the FU code base, I'd say my completely wishful thinking has been upgraded to an actual possibility. FU4 and FS9 in the same year? Pinch me.John