Sign in to follow this  
Guest BarbadosKid

*** DirectX Problem - Temp Solution for Crash to Desktop***

Guest BarbadosKid

Hello PSS MembersHere is a solution for all of those experiencing CTDs (Crashes to Desktop). The problems is related to DirectX and how the panel was compiled by PSS, it is not 100% fully directX compliant, it only loads for some in windowed mode and for others it will crash, this could be a DirectX version issue. Temporary Solution Follow these steps:1. Load FS92. Select Your PSS T7 Aircraft, and set any other Options such airport, time etc ...3. Then switch to full-screen (Alt-Enter)4. Now select FLY NOW.5. After every thing loads up you can leave it in full screen or switch back to windowed mode (Alt-Enter)For some reason it only loads properly without any CTDs when switching to full screen.PSS can you publish the version of DirectX used for compilation so others can upgrade/downgrade but the problem is some thing to do with DirectX.Sean Batson

Guest alextooi

Hi Sean,At last, you are the one found a root cause. I tried with full screen& Pss777 able to load up successfully. My directX is 9.0c latest version. Pss members, since root cause have been identify, please workfor a patch to correct. Sean, How do you know full screen can solve a problem?B/Regards...Alex Ooi

I think you gents may be jumping to a premature conclusion.Based on your description, this looks to me like a video driver issue more than a Direct-X version problem. What video card and driver version are you using?RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest BarbadosKid

Hi All ...It is nothing to do with a video card driver issue.DirectX is the cushion between your video card and yourapplication, similar to how you can have many brands of cd-roms drives and sound cards and directx being the application layer to see them. If the application is not initializing thedirectX routines properly and not catching the exceptions and dealing with them, then you will have dumps. It is clear that there is problem in the code initialization sequence in the directx routinues being called by the gauge.Sean.

Guest bigun

Sean,Just curious. If this is the case, why doesn't EVERYONE suffer this problem? I, for one have never had a CTD with the release version.

Guest BarbadosKid

Hi george To answer your question is simple apart from being a programmer, the version used by PSS to compile the guage is not the same as what is install on the systems getting the problems. I have fixed my CTD problems by doing the follow.1. I download the latest directx 9.0c runtimes for oct 2005 from the Microsoft website along with the version 9.0 oct 2005 sdk. I installed the 9.0c runtimes updates which adds the dot net version of directx in Manage form along with the developer runtimes from directx 9.0 sdk.2. Before loading FS9 and selecting the T7 i switch from retail to debug version of directx via the windows control panel and on both occations loading the T7 in windowed mode do not result in any CTD.3. This concludes that all systems are not equally carrying the releases of DirectX and those used in the development of the T7 hence when loaded will dump on those systems with the current interfaces used by the PSS team.So for those having CTDS download the October 2005 runtime release of directX and the DirectX 9.0 SDK OCtober Release and your CTDS are history.Sean Batson.

Guest bigun

Thanks for the anwser Sean. Now I understand.

All that said, I've seen the same kinds of issues with a new version of Direct-X paired together with an older video driver that does not properly interact with the new application layer. When DX 9.0c first hit the streets there were several older versions of nVidia drivers that, when run together with the new DX version, would bomb certain programs...but not others, probably a function of which API calls were being made by the programs.Fixing the problem by changing Direct-X version could have as much to do with the driver-to-DX interface as with the application-to-DX interface.Moral of the story...if you've upgraded to a newer version of Direct-X, it'd be a good idea to also upgrade to the latest video drivers...which hopefully are compatible with any very recent DX release. In the aforementioned example, I think nVidia took around a month to release WHQL certed drivers fully compatible with 9.0cRegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest BarbadosKid

Hi Bob Don't deter the folks let those having the problems try it and see for themselves cause I didn't have to update my video drivers for this. It is just a matter from a distribution point of view that what was used to build the PSS gauge was not package in the install to put all systems on the same playing field.Sean.Have fun.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.