Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phoenix_7

FS2004 freezes when altering current leg parameters

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I had a similiar issue when I attempted to enter a crossing restriction. I used the format aaaa/sss and the CDU lock up along with FS. It took several minutes for CTL-ALT-DLT to return control and shutdown the computer. Regardless of a CDU entry error, the simulation should not lock up windows XP, the CDU should have rejected the entry. Thanks.Bob...

Hi John and thank you for the quick response. The first time I saw this, I entered the speed and altitude in reverse by mistake. I posted this because it might be a helpful clue to other lock ups?The error is reproducible on my system. The specifics are:1. FS Build flight plan from KPHL-KPIT or KPHL-KBOS2. Normal systems start up takeoff and climb to cruise altitude.3. I do enter "0" for step climb.4. Anytime after TOC go to the legs page.5. The PVD leg requires 240 knots at 10,000 feet for runway 4R.6. I enter 10000/240 (reverse order) in the correct LSK and she locks up.7. I repeated this on the KPHL-KPIT plan and attempted the same thing on the last leg of that flight plan and she locked up solid requiring a hard re-boot and a windows notice of "The System Has Recovered from a Serious Error". I know this is frustrating for the developers when these things cannot be reproduced. Your welcome to come to my house and observe it. LOL. In any case since the error is caused by an improper entry, I would not expect this to be a high priority. Thanks.Bob... :)

just tried again and entered several incorrect entries and only received 'invalid entry' message, perhaps the problem is with FSbuild? how are you importing the FSbuild plans into the 777??JohnPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Hello.I have also experienced this. Today when I was approaching Seattle I late discoverd I needed to enter an alltitude constraint to the waypoint I was currently flying towards. After I pressed the RSK to insert the constraint FS completley locked up.I did the flight from cold and dark and inserted the route manually via the route page. I didn't load any flightplan.Best regardsStefan Hillblom

>just tried again and entered several incorrect entries and>only received 'invalid entry' message, perhaps the problem is>with FSbuild? how are you importing the FSbuild plans into the>777??>>John>PSS SUPPORT>support@phoenix-simulation.co.uk>>http://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpgI'm importing the flight plan via the "Request Flight PLan" feature of the FMC and selecting an FS flight plan. I originally used FSBuild to create them and save into FS. Thanks.

I was going to make seperate, new post about this, but as this seems to be the same issue I am having, I will post here as a reply and hope this helps PSS track the issue.Today, in cruise, I made an alteration to my route going from KIAH to KEWR on a regular Continental route.The route entered into my FMC wa as follows:KIAH KIAH260/10 LFK J101 MOTLEY J29 MEM J42 GVE DYLIN2 KEWRAfter entering this route and choosing 26L as departure and 4L as arrival runways, I took off.During cruise I pulled my charts for KEWR. I entered the approach waypoint EMBAY (AVOKE is not in the database) and it acceped just fine. Then entered the RBV VOR as that seemed a good solution for intercepting the ILS from straight in a good distance out. FS froze when I tried to enter that VOR. There are two RBV VOR's and I chose the correct one by coordinates. The freeze happened upon hitting EXC to make the plan active.I had to CTRL ALT DLT and had the same result - FS not responding and had to end task forcefully.I restarted FS and reentered the route. THIS time before I made any changes I tried to make the waypoint changes. THIS time after entering RBV and EMBAY, and DELETING MERSR and METRO waypoints (so that I went from DYLIN straight to RBV) it accepted the changes. I saved the route. Then I went to INIT and entered my weights and reserve as well as Cruise Altitude. When i went to enter Cost Index (I used 100 both times) it locked up immediately as I pressed the LSK to place the "100" into Cost Index.My guess is that on some routings she is having lockups when calculating fuel and speeds? Just a theory, but this issue is freezing me up as well.Tonight I am attempting the flight again, but this time without RBV. Gong to try straight from DYLIN to EMBAY and intercept for landing.Wih me luck, and I wish PSS luck recreating this.Below I am pasting all valid information for recreating the issue with my situation:RouteFinderRoute generator for PC flight simulation use - NOT FOR REAL WORLD NAVIGATION©2005 ASA srl - Italy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------SID: can't locate fix RIKKSComputed route from GEORGE BUSH INTCNTL HOUSTON (KIAH, K4) to NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (KEWR, K6): 20 fixes, 1257.3 nautical milesCruise altitude between FL330 and FL330KIAH (0.0nm) -LFK4-> LFK (77.7nm) -J101-> MOTLY (129.2nm) -J29-> EMG (171.6nm) -J29-> ELD (238.5nm) -J29-> SUTTN (262.7nm) -J29-> MEM (411.7nm) -J42-> BNA (586.2nm) -J42-> SWAPP (664.3nm) -J42-> GHATS (696.0nm) -J42-> FOUNT (722.5nm) -J42-> TONIO (774.5nm) -J42-> KONGO (819.7nm) -J42-> NEALS (836.3nm) -J42-> BKW (870.6nm) -J42-> ASBUR (902.0nm) -J42-> DENNY (936.6nm) -J42-> MOL (966.5nm) -J42-> GVE (1012.2nm) -DYLIN2-> KEWR (1257.3nm) Details:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ID FREQ TRK DIST Coords Name/RemarksKIAH 0 0 N29

I need to add that I am convinced that the freezing problem is route related. I can enter routes to my heart's content without freezes, but my CDU seems to REALLY hate this route above that i am trying to do.It WILL accept the route as long as I do NOT try to enter that VOR as a waypoint. Strange . . .And it is narrowed down to cost index somehow, as that route seems to be aimed at an issue with the performance updating when i do the update. My first clue was in flight with the freezup immediately on entering the VOR. My second clue was at the gate when I had the route but th freezeup did not occur until I did the cost index.Maybe the rest of us who are having issues can list the exact routes here and we can see if we are having a common issue in the waypoint parimeters? Would be worth a shot.

ChrisJust a thought, if it is route related, are you using the AIRAC that was installed with the aircraft or the latest update from navdata? I was just wondering because I installed the aircraft tonight for the first time and I already had the latest AIRAC installed so I skipped that option in the install and everything is working fine here.Just a thoughtcheers http://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair.gif

I am using 0510 for the data. I was about to download 0511 -- but the Navdata.at site went wacko and now every time I try to visit th site I get some admin password deal. They must have went over transfer limit or something.I have the DAFIF for 0511, but waiting to get the AIRAC 0511 as I like having everything in synch.Also I am able to fly all other roputes I have attempted so far, including the tutorial flight. It seems like it is just that one VOR that the thing hates.I just got back from a dinner get-together with some friends. I am about to attempt the flight again. This time I am going to clear the approach straight from DYLIN to the localizor capture for the runway and see if that locks it up. If not then I know it is definately that VOR and something wierd about it.It is a 3 hour flight, so i will post here then . . or less if it crashes again. I plan on making all data into the FMC sitting at the gate, so I may minimize out and let you know of my success or failure here in just a bit.

FOLLOWUP:I just entered a successful full flight plan uing ALL but one above. FMC was fully programmed with a flight that is EXACTLY as above with only 2 changes:I did not include that RBV VOR and -- as I always use real world weather, my runway tonight was 9L, so that waypoint changed to KIAH085/10.I also did NOT use derate in the FMC. I didnt even think of that until after I took off and was thinking "Wow, I am gaining speed fast". So it is narrowed down to:1) - Corruption in Navdata2) - Combination of Navdata on the route and the derate.Tomorrow I shall AGAIN reenact the flight, with TONIGHT's route, with derate. If it works it is definately corrupt Navdata. So for those of you with FMC freezes during Cost Index entries or Editing waypoints during a route, try the flight again with your edited waypoints not in there and it should work. The FMC freeze appears to be aimed at performance data calculation for particular routes. My FMC accepts the route -- it's when it goes to calculate performance that it freezs and it is aimed at specific waypoint issues on the route.Hope this helps, PSS, if you read this. Anything more I can record or do, let me know.

Hello:I was about to post another thread but I take the opportunity todo it int his one.I have strictly the same issue. It freezes when trying to change anything in a existing saved route. It is not only the fact ofchanging speed, ANY CHANGE CAUSES TO FREEZE;For instance: adding nex waypoints or simply changing the flight levelIt is really frustating to re-start thewhole thing over and overThanks Pedro

Wow.Now see that is what I was going to attempt today. I have not made it through this flight at all, but I did save last night's route into my FMC. I have not yet made it to the step climb. When I make it to the stp climb I hope it works.If it freezes on Flight Lvel change that even more backs up the FMC is freezing on changes of performance data. By performance data I am not talking speds only here. I am talking everything in the right hand column of your legs page -- speeds and altitudes to meet waypoints and the possible changes on the VNAV page.If I get to the Step Climb and she freezes again, this will definately be confirmed.

I am not at home now but can check this tonight or MOnday night - however, on Thursday, I had tried a flight with the PSS 777LR and the freeze occurred ONLY when I changed the CURRENTLY active waypoint to add restrictions in the LEG page of the FMC. Changing the other waypoint restrictins had no problems.On Friday, I flew a flight with the PMDG 744 and no freezes. However, I don't remember if I made changes to the CURRENTLY ACTIVE waypoint (i.e. my next waypoint to which I am on my way right now). Navdata is a shaared folder right? So all add-ons use the same folder or do they? If so, I have made changes to many waypoints in the PMDG 744 and never had freezes. Besides, if NAVDATA is corrupt (I DID install the latest version which came with PSS 777LR), then other add-ons would also freeze.I'll try to get everyone more specifics in the next 1-2 days.John

>>Navdata is a shaared folder right? So all add-ons use the>same folder or do they? If so, I have made changes to many>waypoints in the PMDG 744 and never had freezes. Besides, if>NAVDATA is corrupt (I DID install the latest version which>came with PSS 777LR), then other add-ons would also freeze.John, are you sure it's the latest version, Mine is 0511 and it didnt come with the 777.Cheershttp://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair.gif

I've encountered the same freezing problem twice now. I was making some adjustments in the leg page and my computer froze. I guess the appropriate step to take at the moment, until someone comes up with a solution to this, is not to takeoff unless my route is set in stone and needs no corrections.-Ely

Hi Guy'sI am also experiencing the same issues, but, the more I read these posts, the more confused I get as to what is the actual trigger effect of these lock-ups.after all, were not ####, just trying to solve this so we can enjoy flying this wonderful bird.what I have noticed so far is, the CDU doesn't seem to like you altering the Current leg parameters at all. it seems to throw a wobbly if you select a different point and then press the Exec, let's just say you are tracking direct to LAM, and a controller tells you to go Dir to BNN, that's the point where I tend to get it. and, I also have had this if I am at say, FL250 and 310kts, and want to go down to FL150/280 at LAM, as soon as I altered the speed/alt and selected "Exec" that was it for me, I had to Ctrl>Alt>Del to get out of FS9.I even did a EGLL-EIDW flight and found a similar thing. so, I can't seem to pin point it to any specific SID/STAR/VOR etc, I did try these flights in a 767 and 747 from other companies, and I did not get any of these problems, so. either it's a tricky Navdata file, or a logic in the CDU/FMC somewhere thats not behaving itself.I did get the 0511 from Navdata.at, as I was also having the same problem with the original airac that came with the base pack for the T7.these are the only things I can come up with, and, if PSS have any requests or suggestions for us to try, please do contact me so we can work together to try and track this rogue situation.PS, has anyone set their own weather yet to see what it looks like on the WX Radar screen, WoW, I set cumulus at 5000 to 12000, then Thunderclouds at FL20-FL40, and some really nasty winds and turbulence, good grief, you ought to see the colours etc that the screen was giving me, in fact, I'm sure that had PSS added an audible side to this WX gizmo, it would have been coming out with things like, "Don't even think of it pal", or, "are you mad, let's stay on the ground you idiot" !Edit, I have no idea why it put the # symbols in this post. all I had there was Daft?

>Edit, I have no idea why it put the # symbols in this post. >all I had there was Daft?LOL I do chuckle at the censor sometimes. So far I only had issues on tha one route, but this weeknd I am indeed doing a lot of flying and will keep a journal of every freeze I may encounter. I suggest everyone do the same - log EVERYTHING you do in the FMC so that PSS may try to duplicate this error.

Actually, just today, the same error occurred under the same basic circumstances:On a completely new route than my last flight with a new flight plan (in Oceania flying between RAROTONGA and MURUROA -> NCRG TO NTTX) while still at the gate at RAROTONGA I tried to alter the flight altitude on the FMC for just the FIRST LEG of my trip and this time, FS2004 FROZE so badly that I had to press the reset button as CTRL-ALT-DEL did not bring up task manager to do an end task. Also, I noticed something else which relates to why I tried to alter the first leg parameters in LEGS page to begin with: When I altered the altitude and speed for the other legs there were NO FREEZES and the CDU took them happily. BUT, altering the altitude and speed of the SECOND leg for some reason CHANGED the altitude and speed of the FIRST leg to BE EQUAL to that of the SECOND leg!!! The FIRST LEG is BEFORE the top of descent. CDU displayed the correct econo speed of 0.839 MACH / FL350 before I changed the second leg which also showed 0.839/FS350. But the second leg is AFTER the T/D so I naturally decided to alter and enter the correct altitude and speed I wanted for the distance remaning. Here is what I did:LEG 1 - 0.839 / FL350 (before my modification to leg 2)LEG 2 - 0.839 / FL350 (before)** LEG 1 - 300/25000 (AFTER my moficiation to leg 2 only as I do with the PMDG 744 FMC all the time without problems)** LEG 2 - 300/25000 (after)When trying to change LEG 1 back to what it was originally, FS2004 froze.### NOTES: (1) I replaced MY AIRAC with the one downloaded from the navdata.at site, so I no longer use the one which comes with PSS in case it was corrupt as mentioned. (2) FSUIPC version 3.50John

Hello,I encounted an issue last week when flying at cruise altitude with the 777LR:When I try to alter the speed/flight altitude of the leg to which the plane is CURRENTLY FLYING TO (i.e. showing in the FMC as the current leg -first on top of legs list), FS completely locks up, requiring CTRL-ALT-DEL - task list/manager - end task. FS shows up as "not responding" in the currently active applications list in task manager.After trying it again the next day, same thing happened. I can alter the parameters of any of the other legs, but not the current leg. Has anyone else had this issue? I can alter the current leg's parameters in the PMDG 747-400 so I assumed I could do this with the 777 as well, seeing that the FMCs are very similar and that Boeing probably made them similar too. If it is not possible by design, the FMC should at least give an error msg. something like "not allowed".John

Okay PSS -- hope this helps:I just did my route finally from KIAH to KEWR. The ONLY thing I excluded was that VOR. I had precisely the following data in my FMC:KIAH DCT LFK J101 MOTLY J29 MEM J42 GVE DYLIN2 KEWRI entered the route as above in the FMC, then entered the following:KIAH 085/10My departure was runway 9 hence the 085 radial for the runway clearance.I also selectd runway 4L for landing at KEWR and selected to go straight from DYLIN to CF04L, deleting 2 waypoints there.I had an initial flight level of 390 then a step climb to 430.NO FREEZES - including a successful step climb.If it helps you folks out -- I do NOT think it is the FMC. I actually think it is touchy NAVDATA. The ONLY thing I ommitted from this flight that kept freezing all the others was the RBV VOR. I think that navaid is corrupt somehow and other navaids must be corrupt as well.For those folks getting freezes in their FMC's, try a different departure or approach. It may be a corrupt waypoint.FYI I am using Navdata 0510, and am about to update to 0511 as we speak (now that the navdata site is back up). However I have noticed folks with freezes using multiple issues of Navdata. So it must be the routing somehow.Anyway I thought I would post this here as I am sure after all of this that it is the navdata, not the FMC, that is wreaking havok.

Hello:I am happy to see that PSS will consider this issue as it sees that the freeze occurs in many different ways:One thing is for sure:You can do any thing and it wont freeze before puting all performance parameters. THE ISSUE IS WHEN INTRODUCING COST LEVEL. I have observed that once you put 80% or 100% or what ever value you might get a freeze clearly as described;One additional element in the way ithas occuredto me: In order to avoid overshooting up to following waypoint jumping the inmediate next way point(I put a thread where I did not get any answer from PSS) I tried a trick which consisted in putting twice the same waypoint, in order to prevent the overshooting and simulate a fly-over WAYPOINT. My freezes come as soon AS I wanted to change or even DELETE the duplicated waypoint. Sometimes during a flight planning you might leave a duplicated waypoint while adding waypoints.Since THEN I pay much attention not to duplicate waypoints I have been able to tackle the problem so farAnyway the ggodnews PSS has got into it and hopefully it will be in the patch Cheers Pete

Christopher and PSS staff:It cannot be the Navdata in my opinion - see my posting from Nov. 17 (#21). I used CUSTOM waypoints which I entered myself using compass bearing points (e.g. S2145.6W14934.5). These waypoints do not even exist in navdata.In fact, ALL THREE waypoints I used (for a simple linear trip with no complicated approaches) were custom made so only the airports would be in navdata but none of the waypoints would be. I DID use a cost level of 100 so if it is related to cost level, I would have to try without entering ANY cost level in FMC (if it allows a blank there).John

Sign in to follow this