Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phoenix_7

FS2004 freezes when altering current leg parameters

Hi,I had a similiar issue when I attempted to enter a crossing restriction. I used the format aaaa/sss and the CDU lock up along with FS. It took several minutes for CTL-ALT-DLT to return control and shutdown the computer. Regardless of a CDU entry error, the simulation should not lock up windows XP, the CDU should have rejected the entry. Thanks.Bob...

Hi John and thank you for the quick response. The first time I saw this, I entered the speed and altitude in reverse by mistake. I posted this because it might be a helpful clue to other lock ups?The error is reproducible on my system. The specifics are:1. FS Build flight plan from KPHL-KPIT or KPHL-KBOS2. Normal systems start up takeoff and climb to cruise altitude.3. I do enter "0" for step climb.4. Anytime after TOC go to the legs page.5. The PVD leg requires 240 knots at 10,000 feet for runway 4R.6. I enter 10000/240 (reverse order) in the correct LSK and she locks up.7. I repeated this on the KPHL-KPIT plan and attempted the same thing on the last leg of that flight plan and she locked up solid requiring a hard re-boot and a windows notice of "The System Has Recovered from a Serious Error". I know this is frustrating for the developers when these things cannot be reproduced. Your welcome to come to my house and observe it. LOL. In any case since the error is caused by an improper entry, I would not expect this to be a high priority. Thanks.Bob... :)

Guest Phoenix_7

just tried again and entered several incorrect entries and only received 'invalid entry' message, perhaps the problem is with FSbuild? how are you importing the FSbuild plans into the 777??JohnPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest Hillblom

Hello.I have also experienced this. Today when I was approaching Seattle I late discoverd I needed to enter an alltitude constraint to the waypoint I was currently flying towards. After I pressed the RSK to insert the constraint FS completley locked up.I did the flight from cold and dark and inserted the route manually via the route page. I didn't load any flightplan.Best regardsStefan Hillblom

>just tried again and entered several incorrect entries and>only received 'invalid entry' message, perhaps the problem is>with FSbuild? how are you importing the FSbuild plans into the>777??>>John>PSS SUPPORT>support@phoenix-simulation.co.uk>>http://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpgI'm importing the flight plan via the "Request Flight PLan" feature of the FMC and selecting an FS flight plan. I originally used FSBuild to create them and save into FS. Thanks.

Guest Knikolaes

I was going to make seperate, new post about this, but as this seems to be the same issue I am having, I will post here as a reply and hope this helps PSS track the issue.Today, in cruise, I made an alteration to my route going from KIAH to KEWR on a regular Continental route.The route entered into my FMC wa as follows:KIAH KIAH260/10 LFK J101 MOTLEY J29 MEM J42 GVE DYLIN2 KEWRAfter entering this route and choosing 26L as departure and 4L as arrival runways, I took off.During cruise I pulled my charts for KEWR. I entered the approach waypoint EMBAY (AVOKE is not in the database) and it acceped just fine. Then entered the RBV VOR as that seemed a good solution for intercepting the ILS from straight in a good distance out. FS froze when I tried to enter that VOR. There are two RBV VOR's and I chose the correct one by coordinates. The freeze happened upon hitting EXC to make the plan active.I had to CTRL ALT DLT and had the same result - FS not responding and had to end task forcefully.I restarted FS and reentered the route. THIS time before I made any changes I tried to make the waypoint changes. THIS time after entering RBV and EMBAY, and DELETING MERSR and METRO waypoints (so that I went from DYLIN straight to RBV) it accepted the changes. I saved the route. Then I went to INIT and entered my weights and reserve as well as Cruise Altitude. When i went to enter Cost Index (I used 100 both times) it locked up immediately as I pressed the LSK to place the "100" into Cost Index.My guess is that on some routings she is having lockups when calculating fuel and speeds? Just a theory, but this issue is freezing me up as well.Tonight I am attempting the flight again, but this time without RBV. Gong to try straight from DYLIN to EMBAY and intercept for landing.Wih me luck, and I wish PSS luck recreating this.Below I am pasting all valid information for recreating the issue with my situation:RouteFinderRoute generator for PC flight simulation use - NOT FOR REAL WORLD NAVIGATION©2005 ASA srl - Italy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------SID: can't locate fix RIKKSComputed route from GEORGE BUSH INTCNTL HOUSTON (KIAH, K4) to NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (KEWR, K6): 20 fixes, 1257.3 nautical milesCruise altitude between FL330 and FL330KIAH (0.0nm) -LFK4-> LFK (77.7nm) -J101-> MOTLY (129.2nm) -J29-> EMG (171.6nm) -J29-> ELD (238.5nm) -J29-> SUTTN (262.7nm) -J29-> MEM (411.7nm) -J42-> BNA (586.2nm) -J42-> SWAPP (664.3nm) -J42-> GHATS (696.0nm) -J42-> FOUNT (722.5nm) -J42-> TONIO (774.5nm) -J42-> KONGO (819.7nm) -J42-> NEALS (836.3nm) -J42-> BKW (870.6nm) -J42-> ASBUR (902.0nm) -J42-> DENNY (936.6nm) -J42-> MOL (966.5nm) -J42-> GVE (1012.2nm) -DYLIN2-> KEWR (1257.3nm) Details:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------ID FREQ TRK DIST Coords Name/RemarksKIAH 0 0 N29

Guest Knikolaes

I need to add that I am convinced that the freezing problem is route related. I can enter routes to my heart's content without freezes, but my CDU seems to REALLY hate this route above that i am trying to do.It WILL accept the route as long as I do NOT try to enter that VOR as a waypoint. Strange . . .And it is narrowed down to cost index somehow, as that route seems to be aimed at an issue with the performance updating when i do the update. My first clue was in flight with the freezup immediately on entering the VOR. My second clue was at the gate when I had the route but th freezeup did not occur until I did the cost index.Maybe the rest of us who are having issues can list the exact routes here and we can see if we are having a common issue in the waypoint parimeters? Would be worth a shot.

Guest Tim W

ChrisJust a thought, if it is route related, are you using the AIRAC that was installed with the aircraft or the latest update from navdata? I was just wondering because I installed the aircraft tonight for the first time and I already had the latest AIRAC installed so I skipped that option in the install and everything is working fine here.Just a thoughtcheers http://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair.gif

Guest Knikolaes

I am using 0510 for the data. I was about to download 0511 -- but the Navdata.at site went wacko and now every time I try to visit th site I get some admin password deal. They must have went over transfer limit or something.I have the DAFIF for 0511, but waiting to get the AIRAC 0511 as I like having everything in synch.Also I am able to fly all other roputes I have attempted so far, including the tutorial flight. It seems like it is just that one VOR that the thing hates.I just got back from a dinner get-together with some friends. I am about to attempt the flight again. This time I am going to clear the approach straight from DYLIN to the localizor capture for the runway and see if that locks it up. If not then I know it is definately that VOR and something wierd about it.It is a 3 hour flight, so i will post here then . . or less if it crashes again. I plan on making all data into the FMC sitting at the gate, so I may minimize out and let you know of my success or failure here in just a bit.

Guest Knikolaes

FOLLOWUP:I just entered a successful full flight plan uing ALL but one above. FMC was fully programmed with a flight that is EXACTLY as above with only 2 changes:I did not include that RBV VOR and -- as I always use real world weather, my runway tonight was 9L, so that waypoint changed to KIAH085/10.I also did NOT use derate in the FMC. I didnt even think of that until after I took off and was thinking "Wow, I am gaining speed fast". So it is narrowed down to:1) - Corruption in Navdata2) - Combination of Navdata on the route and the derate.Tomorrow I shall AGAIN reenact the flight, with TONIGHT's route, with derate. If it works it is definately corrupt Navdata. So for those of you with FMC freezes during Cost Index entries or Editing waypoints during a route, try the flight again with your edited waypoints not in there and it should work. The FMC freeze appears to be aimed at performance data calculation for particular routes. My FMC accepts the route -- it's when it goes to calculate performance that it freezs and it is aimed at specific waypoint issues on the route.Hope this helps, PSS, if you read this. Anything more I can record or do, let me know.

Guest pedroz

Hello:I was about to post another thread but I take the opportunity todo it int his one.I have strictly the same issue. It freezes when trying to change anything in a existing saved route. It is not only the fact ofchanging speed, ANY CHANGE CAUSES TO FREEZE;For instance: adding nex waypoints or simply changing the flight levelIt is really frustating to re-start thewhole thing over and overThanks Pedro

Guest Knikolaes

Wow.Now see that is what I was going to attempt today. I have not made it through this flight at all, but I did save last night's route into my FMC. I have not yet made it to the step climb. When I make it to the stp climb I hope it works.If it freezes on Flight Lvel change that even more backs up the FMC is freezing on changes of performance data. By performance data I am not talking speds only here. I am talking everything in the right hand column of your legs page -- speeds and altitudes to meet waypoints and the possible changes on the VNAV page.If I get to the Step Climb and she freezes again, this will definately be confirmed.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.