Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 performance on laptops?

Hey guys, I had a question for the laptop FS2k2 users. How does it perform on laptops? Im currently looking to replace my desktop machine with a decent laptop because I just dont fly that much anymore to keep upgrading this beast every 4 months or so. Im not looking for killer performance or spending the money for an alienware laptop. I just want to know how the sim runs on a 1.5-2.0 gig laptop with 256-512MB RAM. Is the performance comparable to the same frequency desktop? Ive never owned a laptop so I dont know the ins and outs of the laptop world. I appreciate any advice, and also, Im going to be looking to get rid of my desktop soon, so if any of you live within 200NM of Des Moines and are interested in a 2000+ machine, let me know. More info on the system can be sent on request. I will also post a message in the Swap Meet forum with particulars. Thanks alot.Craig

The graphics adapter on the laptop is going to be the limiting factor. There are several laptop's that use fairly high-end graphics adapter's. I have seen several posts from user's of these machines and they were surprise with the quality.

Craig,I recently purchased a Toshiba Satelite 1.7G Celeron, 256M ram and a 30G HD and as far as performance speed it's fine but the graphics leave something to be desired. It uses the Nvidia GF4 420 Go graphics and I don't know if I just don't know how to adjust it or if it won't display FS2002 very well. I don't have any experience with any other laptops but that's one view anyway.I hope someone with a good experience with the 420 Go will jump in here and staighten me out.

jerrycwo4FS2002 flies very well on my new 16 inch Sony GRV-550 . It has a 2.4 CPU and 512 Mb memory. The video card is 32 Mb.jerry

Hi Jerry,I have a question to do, how much did you pay for this huge notebook?and which store as well... thanks

Guest Shayt

Hello Craig,I'm just began using the FS2K2 on my new notebook. It's Dell C640, 1.8GHz with 512MB Ram and ATI7500 32MB graphics card. The frame rate is reasonable and I can complain but the 14 in. display with a native resolution of 1024x768 is way blow the standards I'm use to in my desktop machine using humble 17" monitor.All in all, unless you are going to use the laptop on the road, I suggests you to stick to desktop configuration with regard to flight simming. In the notebook you cannot upgrade your CPU or graphics board or for example, you cannot enjoy from what I've just do: having a second monitor for all my utilities.Good luck,Shay

The key to getting good FS2002 results on a laptop is spending money.FS2002 works just fine on a laptop, but keep in mind that you need the fastest processor you can find with a lot of RAM and a really good graphics card. I would not suggest going with the 256 MB RAM. If you are serious about playing FS2002 on a laptop, do not be afraid to spend the money. If I were you, I'd only consider it if I travelled a lot. For less money you can get the same computer in a desktop. For the same money, you can get a mega-serious desktop.

In about 3 weeks, I'm getting a Fujitsi-Siemens laptop with P4 2.53 GHz CPU, 512 mg RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, 40Gig HD.And I'm really hoping it will deal with FS2k2 :)What do you think?------------Fredrik Wold >:-) (Vikings from north)

>In about 3 weeks, I'm getting a Fujitsi-Siemens laptop with >P4 2.53 GHz CPU, 512 mg RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, >40Gig HD. >And I'm really hoping it will deal with FS2k2 :) I have the 2.4 GHz/Mobility9000 model and it does very well.It mostly turns in frame rates about double those from my Athlon 1.1GHz/GeF3Ti200 desktop, but during a long comparison test flight across Alaska with both machines flying the same path, I noticed one section with multiple small snowy peaks where the Athlon was actually faster. Don't know why :)One caveat - if you set the battery saving option in the Radeon card options, expect to see your frame rates halved when not running on mains power.

I'm glad to hear that! Now I'm really looking forward to it.I'm sure I will be getting more framerates with this one than my "old" computer, a PII 450 MHz with 128 Mg RAM and one of the first GeForce cards ;)------------Fredrik Wold >:-) (Vikings from north)

jerrycwo4I bought it at BEST BUY and the original price was $2195, discounted to $2095. That was about the best price I could find, anywhere. I bought it at that price. Then a few weeks before Christmas with MORE rebates from Best Buy and Sony the price was lowered to $1599....... I went back and they re-figured my price with more rebates, so my final price was: $1599. I LOVE the 16inch screen !!!! I also bought the 'add-on floppy drive and the 2 speakers ( with it's own amp.) Put a DVD in and you think your at the movies !!!! I really bought the laptop to download pictures from my digital camera to display them immediately. Works great.Jerry

I found this thread while searching for something else, but I wanted to update since I had bought a laptop since posting this and have run FS98, FS2k2 and FS2k4. FS2k4 actually runs pretty good on any settings below medium. It might actually be on medium, Im not sure. I ended up getting a really good deal on a Sony Vaio with a 2.4ghz P4, 512MB and a Nvidia 420Go. Of course FS98 and FS2k2 run awesome, but there are just so many new things that I like about FS2k4 like runway signs, newer aircraft with more features, the GPS, IFR flight, etc. that I am willing to make a sacrifice of lowered visuals to be able to enjoy some of the nicer things FS2k4 has to offer. I havent yet set up a two monitor system, but I might try that sometime which will be interesting. Right now I am enjoying the mobility of a laptop and still enjoying MSFS when I want to!Craig

Guest Maul

Honestly, if you've got the cash and are a serious gamer, one word...Alienware.Eric