Sign in to follow this  
Guest cactus

Why does PSS avoid this question

Guest cactus

I have repeatedly stated that the 777 frame rates jump all over the place. I just did a flight. from the 2d it goes 10-45-18-40-16-43-17. For once and for all can you answer this question? Please quit avoiding it. None of my other panels jump like that. Yes they do a little but vary maybe 5-10 fps. Not 20-25. Is it your coding or what? I really don;t want to se people jump on here and say "nothing wrong with mine". if that is the case try moving your slider from full left to right. For every person that says that statement I am sure 5 will agree with mine. All i would like is an explanation, not a deviation from the topic at hand. thanks.

Guest NormanB

Who is avoiding it? By definition of your question I can't answer since mine doesn't!

Guest AndrewSmith

heh....it's *User Error*...replace user, hit any key to continue...dude, i get jumpy framerates too...but it could be due to the current weather condition...or the AI traffic...or the current scenery...or the current ambient temperature in my computer case...blah, blah...the list goes on.ok...you wanna troubleshoot this?let's get the following info:computer hardware specs (cpu/ram/hdd/mobo/vidcard/audcard/etc).what are your Display settings in FS.what are your Video settings for the card (outside of FS).what other programs are running when you run FS.OS Process count.let's determine a baseline first, then work up from there.For this testing, we'll always start at KEDW (Edwards AFB).-clear weather (no clouds)-1300 (1 o'clock PM) Local-0% AI-no ATC (don't tune COM1)we'll start with three TNG's at EDW. make left base. what did you observe?

Also, lock your frames at 20-24 FPS. 45 FPS does NOTHING for you. 100 FPS does NOTHING for you. Lock it to something reasonable that your system can manage. I run a liquid cooled 4000+ processor with dual 7800 GTX video cards and even though I average 112 FPS at KSEA in the default cessna my fps is locked at 20. As soon as you answer Andrew's questions, we can help you trobleshoot,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest aarskringspier

Exactly as Paul, while my system can pump out a ton of FPS I have it locked at 20.

Guest NormanB

This is probably why I dont see the fluctuation. I've been a long time supporter of locked frame rates.

Guest cactus

Hi Andrew. I am all for trying to figure this out. As for others that say to lock the frames at a lower number I won't do that. I have gone through this with someone that is very knowledgable in the area and we came up with a conclusion of 45. I am not saying for anyone to lock them there but for my system is was optimal to lock them there. For the purpose of my question, it doesnt matter where I lock them. My point being is that all the other payware addons (latest and greatest) do not fluctuate like that. the 777 shouldnt either. People are forgetting that I am mentioning that. If I use ASV, KSEA, and whatever settings for ALL (read ALL) payware planes and the PSS ones are the only that have large variations in FPS, then obviously it is a PSS problem. CPU 3.2E P4OCZ 3200 1 gig(2)WD 120 GB in RAIDASUS P4C800e DeluxeATI X800 proAudigy 2ZDisplay settings in FS: under sceneryTerrain Mesh complexity 89Terrain Texture Size HighTerrain detail Land OnlyWater Effects LowDawn/Dusk texture blending is checkedExtended terrain textures is checkedSpecial effects details HighScenery complexity Very DenseAutogen density DenseAddon scenery checked and DenseGround scnery cast shadows is uncheckedSun Glare and Lens Flare is UncheckedUnder Aircraft Tab:Virtual Cokcpit gauge quality is set LOWReflections is checkedAircraft cast shadows is uncheckedLanding Lights is checkedUnder Weather Tab:Sight Distance 60miCloud Draw Distance 60 mi3-D Cloud Percemntage 100Cloud coverage desnsity MaximumUnder Hardware Tab:Target fps 461280X1024X32Render to texture is checkedTransforma dn lighting is checkedAnti Aliasing is uncheckedMip MApping quality 4Hardware Rendered Lights 8Global Max Texture Size HighVideo Card Settings:Under 3D settingsAA set 4XAF set 8XTexture preference full rightMip Map Detail Level full rightWait for vertical sync set Aplication preferenceTRUFORM set Always offOther Programs Running:ASV and using FS autostartWhere do you get he OS processor count. under CNTL-ALT-DEL?KEDW ScenerioOn initial ground starting on rwy 04 was 17-45 (I used the ZOOM panel for the whole test)1st Base leg 17-36 fps2nd Base leg a lot of 17-36 and 16-32 fps3rd base leg 20-40 fpsJust for a bit of comparison purpose i then did the same with the PMDG 747 (sorry PSS but just comparing to another latest and greatest)and was getting 38-46. HUGE difference.

Look at my system specs below: I have my fr's locked at 20. This also solved a multitude of problems. I highly recommend it.

Guest aarskringspier

Really doesnt matter what conclusion you came to; if you read the blogs of the programmers of FS youll see one that clearly tell you why to lock your frames BELOW what youre system can do. You fluctuate because you think your system can pump 45 frames no matter what thats not a PSS problem.

Guest NormanB

If I may post as Norman the simmer here, not part of PSS.Randy and Mike are spot on here. Read the docs for the likes of WideFS, Project Magenta, and many others. Katy Pluta or Hal and many other very clever folk out there don't suggest locking frame rates because they like typing it - its because it makes sense.I can get better than 100FPS on occassion, sliders maxed if I so desired but why push things? I *much* prefer to have a fluid system and fluid is locked.Norman

You can see the specs of both of my systems below. I have never had FPS set to more than 20 on either machine. As Norman said, there is nothing more important than a fluid sim and if the sim is fluid at 20 FPS then you don't need anything else. Look at Mike T's system, there is a reason people with such strong systems lock their FPS... At least try it rather than telling us you are not even open to it. We are trying to help you optimize your system. Not trying to disrespect your so called expert but anyone who told you the optimal setting for your system for FS was 45 FPS has no idea about the inner workings of FS.-PaulPrimary systemSystem Specs:Liquid Cooled @ 26CAMD 4000+ San Diego @2640Asus A8NSLI-Premium 2 gigs Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX non-sliDell 24 Widescreen LCDDual Samsung 19 inch LCDAsus NeoPower 480Dual Maxtor 120 Gig SATA Raid-0Audigy2ZShttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.html not fully setup, needs new pics, they were taken right after I got out of hospital before the 777 was released ;)...Backup systemSelf BuiltLiquid CooledAMD 64 3400+2 Gigs Kingston HyperX DDR4006800GTRaid-0 Dual SATA Maxtor 120 Gig Hd'sDual Samsung 997 DF monitors

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Paul:If you don't mind my asking, what mother board are you useing with your dual 7900 GTX Video Cards?Thanks:RTHEdit:Sorry Paul:I see you have a later reply that lists your system specs. Please ignore my question.For what it is worth to the original poster, it IS NOT OBVIOUS to me that the problem in question is the PSS Tripple 7. The bird does not present this problem for me. If I choose to set my frame rates to unlimited (or a high setting), I jump all over the place with anything, and I have a hanger full.Respectfully:RTH

FirstSign your name, second I run all sliders to the left, and my frames do the normal 3-5 frame jump. VC and 2D I get 26-30 fps (locked at 30 fps cause thats all your eyes can read) Try cutting down to 30 fps and then report results. Also be sure you are running disc cleanup regularly, and defrag monthly at least. Btw the more addons you have the lower your framerates will be anyway, when I had only one I got 45 fps steadily, but as I added more addons my rates dropped.btw I'm not PSS spokesman, just tired of whining

Guest cactus

Guys Guys. you are totally coming up with own conclusions. I dint say that my system was optmized to run at 45 FPS max. In fact he proved to me that so many of you are hung up on FPS. I mean in the sense that FPS means everything. After he showed my you can have ALL and i mean ALL your sliders maxed up, showing 16 FPS and man was my system smooth. unbelievable. But after altering my machine a bit i stayed away from the setting we had it at (stupid me). All i am doing now gentlemen is saying why is the PMDG, which is one of the top of the line products running at a consistent 40 fps in this above scenerio and the 777 jumping from 17 - 36. No one has answered me that. What you guys are telling me is a bandaid solutuion. You ay lock you fps at a lowe number. That is no a final solution. Why should i have to when PMDG holds 40 fps. PLEASE answer me the question at hand and that is "why the difference". PLEASE do not give me a bandaid solution to try and mask the problem at hand. This is what I am talking about. I bring up a perfectly good question and people start to stray off topic.

Isn't the number of frames the brain/eye can cope with limited to less than 30? 28 rings a bell somewhere in my 60+ years old head. It isn't a case of being obsessed with FPS but more of finding a sensible level for a steady workrate. Why make the system work harder than it needs to.