Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Ok I have narrowed it down. SF.260 or the DF Cardinal..

I have decided to purchase one of these products. I have heard both are great, which makes the decision that much tougher. Any compare and contrast views out there from people who own both?Thanks to all who responded in my last thread.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest Staalplaat

hi Shane,Well, you have a tough decision to make! The Cardinal and the SF 260 are both state of the art planes that fly very well! I own both so I'll try to help you with your choise:Cardinal:Beautiful model AND with the RG version you get two planes for the price of one! It has a fantastic model and a stunning VC. Sometimes when flying I forget in what mode I am, VC or 2D cockpit! It also has a nice GPS.It is a very nice airplane for touring and just cruising along. The flightmodel seems fine to me, although a bit sensitive sometimes. DF has good customer support and a lively forum.DF 260:This is the plane I fell in love with the first time I saw the screenshots. It's visual model is fantastic, it has a good panel and the VC is spot on. Amazing. But what I like best is the flightmodel. The best there is at the moment I can tell you. It lets you cruise along, once trimmed it flies rock steady. BUT, if you like a loop AND a stall sometimes it lets you fool around! Marvelous. Landing can be a bit tricky as energy bleeds away quick, some power is needed.So, conclusion? Hmmm, difficult. Personally I like the SF260 best but by just a few points. It is the SF260's flightmodel that does it for me.Regards,Lennart

I don't have the Cardinal - it looks like a great payware airplane though. (I got to fly a nice one once IRL last year - if there is any non-newish Cessna I'd like to own, it'd be either a Cardinal or a Mixmaster...) I do have the SF.260, and have used it quite a number of times on general "boring holes in the sky" flights, as well as some instrument approach practice when I was finishing my instrument rating. In general I like it a lot - it will be quite a bit faster than the Cardinal which is one of my criteria these days. The panel options are very nice, esp. the "almost full screen" full panel.The SF.260 has some rather odd flight model behavior, at least to me - I've gotten it into a state a couple times where it seemed like it was determined to make a big hole in the ground no matter what I did. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, but I suspect that what I experienced is a side-effect of the RealAir folks getting the thing to spin in a semi-realistic way.That said, I would rate it way up there in my list of FS airplanes, and I tend to fly it rather than the Commander 115TC, which was my first payware airplane purchase. I have been tempted more than once to purchase the Cardinal or the Dreamfleet Archer, but I seem to want something faster than what is available to me "in real life" flying (via rental) so thus far I haven't sprung for those.IMO the Flight1 Cessna 421 is still the king of the payware GA airplanes, although I am awaiting their Meridian with much impatience these days - if they've done it right, it will almost certainly become my preferred "fast mover" airplane.In the end, I think the answer to your question is at least partially, "do I want to get upside down in my new payware airplane?" If so, the SF.260 is the way to go.Dave BlevinsKRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Thanks guys!I just purchased the SF.260 and it is AMAZING! Just like what everyone said. Everything on the aircraft is, well, just fantastic.Thanks again to all!!!!!!!:)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I would plump for the DF Cardinal, simply because of the variation possible once you've paid for the 177 you can download the add-on 177RG for FREE which includes not only the retractable gear but also a turbocharged engine that really boosts the performance to beyond anything comparable in its class. Both are capable of very short field operations and have a purpose-designed GPS system that is simply marvellous. Add in the Config-O-Matic which allows quick alterations of configuration (select three different panels, any colour you light for panel lighting, add passengers and baggage, even an alternative flight model for rudder pedal users) and the Text-O-Matic to add new paintjobs easily and you have one of the best add-ons for FS in my opinion.ChasW

>The SF.260 has some rather odd flight model behavior, at >least to me - I've gotten it into a state a couple times >where it seemed like it was determined to make a big hole in >the ground no matter what I did. I haven't seen anyone else >complain about this, but I suspect that what I experienced >is a side-effect of the RealAir folks getting the thing to >spin in a semi-realistic way. >I wouldn't say it's odd, as I've had no trouble with it, using normal spin recovery techniques. At least if it's my desire to spin, this model "breaks" quickly into a spin, snap rolls, etc. Most flight models have to think about it a while.........trying to figure out what to do! I've even got this model to do some quite authentic looking tailslides which look very impressive with smoke. Of course, even real aircraft can & do get into un-recoverable flat spins. Even the Pitt's bi-plane which has each wing set at slightly different angles to the fuselage to help prevent stalling at the same time, has ended up in an un-recoverable situation. As for the new Cirrus SR22, the POH specifies pulling the "chute" cord should you end up in a spin. This aircraft already uses modified wing design for higher angles of attack & still use of ailerons, but is not rated for spins.edited: Of all the flight models I've ever used, including IL-2 Sturmovik, the RealAir SF260 is my favorite. I have about two hours in a real Marchetti 260, as well as a previous aerobatic course in a Pitt's S2B about 10 years ago. I suppose I just like being upside down! :) But then I use the DF Cardinal & it's RG version for nearly all my scenic mountainous flights....L.Adamson