Sign in to follow this  
Guest lflinares

WSSS - KJFK on the LR

Well it is an hour and a half later, passed over Russia and into Mongolia towards China, still chasing the sunset. Turns out there were three different mountain ranges I passed over Siberia. It always helps to have a globe next to you when you fly :) I am up to FL350 now 11 hours 35 minuts in ~ 3 hours to go, probably closer to 3 1/2... ( I slept ~ 6 hours of the flight)oh, BTW, I picked up about 5 TCAS shadows along the way so we are all doing the flight together :)Hope you guys don't mind my pilots log LOL,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hey Paul, just a question: other than the 6 hours of sleep, did you spend all that time in front of your sim? I mean, doesn't it get kinda boring, especially when there is no other traffic around and the landscapes are sort of repetitive? I mean, what do you do during all these hours of flight?I guess you are a bit like me, i.e. you have a geographic/tourist interest in the routes you are flying, so what I sometimes do is read about the areas I am flying over or maybe I have a DVD - which is great when flying over areas like Siberia on a Europe-Far East flight, over the Sahara and African jungles on a Europe-Johannesburg run, over the Canadian North, etc.So what about you, you're into any of this or do you really sit in front of the sim and watch the FMC tick off the legs?

Well, I am very fortunate, next to my setup (see below) I have my work laptop as well as another system that I can play other games on :) A 3400 with a 6800 GT and two gigs of Kingston HyperX is my backup box. I am working from home today (and for the past few months while I recover from surgery) so I just got off a conference call and right now I am sending out e-mails to try and get meetings. FS is going the whole time as I work (or play). I do have a geographic interest though, I like to find out the landmarks I am flying over, match up rivers, airports mountains and large cities etc... I really do follow my route on a globe :) To me, it doesn't get repetitive even though right now it looks like I am flying over some pretty barren terrain in Mongolia. I see mountains in the distance though. I like seeing the weather change and the sky textures with ASV. I never did these flights in real time until the initial release of the LVL-D 767. It didn't support time compression so I was forced to fly my long hauls in real time and I found I really enjoyed it. It is much more rewarding if you can find the time... The best is to find a r/w flight leaving around the same time as you are simming. I try to use Continental and Virgin flights for some reason. Now open up www.flightview.com and put in the r/w flight. I will sit there and wait until flightview displays the r/w flight is wheels up and then take off right after, then I will track their speed and FL and try to match it exactly. I wrote an article on the LVL-D forums a while back doing KEWR-PHNL I think. I matched the r/w flight to within 3 minutes or something like that after a ten hour flight. It was amazing... I will see if I can find the link to the article. The link below is some horrible pictures of my setup. I am going to take a new one right now with the 777 and replace the images :) http://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlUPDATE, CHANGED the photos to T7 istead of another Boeing LOL...Sorry for the quality but I can't seem to get a good shot of the setup...Sorry for babbling...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Paul,Don't worry, very interesting. Incredible setup you have there! As for the real time flying, you're just like me, I don't like time compression and "dream" about the places I fly over. Most of the times the one criteria for flying a certain route is its routing (i.e. geographical curiosity), such as Kathmandu-Lhasa, or flights over the Amazon forest. In any case, good luck with the remainder of your flight.ChrisPS: what scenery are you using for VHHH? there's no payware-like add-on either, or is there?

Chris,There is a great freeware VHHH scenery, I forget the name but it is on both major sites. It is payware quality but it is freeware. Be careful when installing it though, it has some landclass files you need to make sure are in their own folder. Other than that, it is freeware with amazing quality and great FPS, no hit at all that I can see.Thanks for the compliment, I am pretty happy with the setup although I would love to add another 24 widescreen. Looks like about 1 1/2 hours to go now and I just lost the sun for the second time this flight... I am actually pretty heavy on fuel as well so I am going to dump about 30k pounds. Thank goodness no airline has to pay my fuel bills LOL.Take care,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Woo Hoo, we are in Hong Kong. Flight CO099 End of flight report Date November 22 2005Flight ID: CO099Pilot: Paul SolkCompany: GetinSitDownShutUp AirAircraft: PSS Boeing 777-200LR ContinentalFlight Date: November 22 2005Departure: 15h15 (20h16 GMT)Arrival: 18h22 (11h23 GMT)From: KEWR - Newark Liberty Intl - UsaTo: VHHH - Hong Kong Intl - Hong KongNbr of Passengers: 305Report:Flight Distance:6,996 Nm Time Airborne: 14h47:57Landing Speed: 127.91 ktLanding Touchdown: -354.62 ft/mFlight Time (block):15h05:51Time On Ground: 00h19:53Landing Pitch: 5.59

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

It is a rainy miserable day here in NJ so I am not going anywhere today. I decided not to shut down FS but build a route to YSSY instead. I sat on the tarmac for about 1:40 (refueling LOL) and then pushed back again. I am now 30 minutes into the 9 hour hop to Sydney. Never flown there before in FS :) I know sad but I was waiting for the right A/C LOL. Well, Here we go again , see you in YSSY. That is a long way from where I started last night...Happy flying all,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest Boeing or no going

>I am going to try KJFK to YSSY !A, ive done YPPH (perth) To CYYZ, Toronto. Over 10000 nm, :D

Guest lflinares

Not too difficult, really. During cruise, I only show up to the cockpit for fule tank adjustments, step climbs, or sightseeing cool scenery like the Himalayas. The majority of the time, I'm either out of the house or sleeping (but don't tell the passengers).I did replicate the ANA -300ER flight from Pudong to Narita, which is only 2 hrs for a change!This aircraft is too adictive! Thanks, again PSS!Cheers!LuisKMIA

Well I am past the 25 hour mark now. About 25 minutes outside of YSSY from KEWR through VHHH in my descent now. Figures, landing will be in 13 kt crosswinds, clouds at 1k with rain. First time ever into YSSY no less...Should be fun-PaulUpdate,I just wanted to thank PSS. I am now on the ground safely in Sydney. First time ever flying here in FS and I waited for the right bird to do it in. I started my trek ~ 27 hours ago with a departure for VHHH from KEWR in horrible weather. Spent ~ 2 hours on the ground in VHHH and now I am in Sydney. Total flight time was ~ 22 1/2 hours but total FS time was ~ 27 hours with pre-flights taxi etc... FS is going to run through the night again and who knows where I will fly tomorrow.I just saw my surgeon yesterday and after being told I can't do anything for another 10 months PSS has no idea how grateful I am for the T7. It gives me something to do other than read, watch TV and walk on the treadmill...Sorry again for babbling all day..Thanks again, Fabulous a/c-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Great narrative Paul and a very nice set-up. I have just two monitors and my wife considers that excessive :-hmmm .I had surgery in April and was on crutches for 6 weeks - that was when I started getting into the meat of FS9 instead of dabbling. Now trying to get my head round Sids and Stars as my old head is confused by the fact that at, for example, EGLL after choosing a runway there is a whole host of Stars - which one to pick?Hope your medical situation improves. In the meantime keep up the narratives.Best regardsBill

Thanks and thanks Bill. I enjoy writing and simming so sometimes I combine the two. Maybe I will do a full trip report on one of my long hauls with the T7 for the forum... I am pretty happy with the setup, it is getting there but I would really like to add full motion hydraulics. If your wife thinks you are excessive, let her speak to me for an hour, she will think you are an angel :)It is funny, I never used to follow sids/stars either but now that I am in the house for a year (it was spinal surgery and titanium implants for me) I got the Jeppensen charts and the training CD to teach me how to read them as well. You can either look at the charts to determine the best sid/star (although in real life I think it would be assigned)or you can actually use the CDU and your ND to plan it from the cockpit. If you go to the plan page of the ND, (it defaults to map) and go to the last page of legs in the CDU, you should see your destination airport on the screen. Then if you select a star at your destination it will draw on the ND. You can select different Stars and see which one is most appropriate for your approach... Make sure you check the legs page for any disco's though, you will have to connect the star to the route after selecting it...Take care Bill, glad you are healthy again,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Cheers Paul - my legs are working OK now (hip replacement) but the brain plays some terrible tricks and my memory is not what it was. I have a clear picture now of what I am supposed to do.Bill

Guest Mariner

Bill the SID/STAR to use depends on your flight plan/destination/arrival route, noise preferential routes and prevailing conditions. ATC will have assigned the SIDs/STARs in force on any given day. Taking your example of departure from EGLL and departing from 9L/R for North European destination then the SID would probably be Detling 1X or Dover 6X. Similarly if your destination was the USA then the most likely SID would be Compton 3X/4X. Arriving from Europe via say NICKY(NIK)/COSTA(COA)in Belgium then the STAR in use will be Lambourne 3A/TAWNY thence in accordance with the IAP. A useful little programme which helps with routing across the UK FIR or to/from UK airports is UKROUTE v2. This effectively is an electronic version of the UK Standard Route Document issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (saves thumbing through 290 odd pages of info) You just enter UK entry/exit waypoints and/or arrival/departure airports and it will provide the route (airways and altitude restrictions) and a brief summary of any NOTAMS/notes applicable to that route. It is updated monthly with each Airac cycle. You can download it from http://www.hawarden.org.uk/ then click on Hawarden Virtual Airport UK.Hope that helps.Dave

Guest Mariner

Following Boeings rather pointless exercise of flying 35 passengers from Hong Kong to Heathrow, the wrong way round(what was the profit margin?), I can just see all the major airlines queueing up to jump on the "let's spend megabucks so we can charge 35 passengers 10 times the normal fare" bandwagon!! For all those advocating flying the B777-200LR from London to Sydney and back the following extract, taken from an article by the Air Correspondent of the Daily Telegraph, should give you food for thought:"With a full complement of 301 passengers, the Worldliner's 10,817-mile range would not enable it to make the journey from London to Sydney without stopping, because of the need to allow a safety margin in case of a diversion. Even if it could just make the southbound trip, the return journey back, against the prevailing wind, would be impossible. However, if more than 100 seats were stripped out, such a flight would be possible, taking about 19 hours to Australia and about 21 hours to London. It would also require the addition of 3 more fuel tanks bringing the total to six." Not to mention reduced revenue from the reduction in fare paying passengers and cargo just so a 2 hour re fuelling stop and one set of landing fees can be avoided???Guess its back to the drawing board, guys!!Dave

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.