Sign in to follow this  
Guest seanhart

Comments from a 777 Training Captain

Guest seanhart

I recently purchased the 777-300ER and happen to have a father who is a long time 777 training captain and flies the 777-300ER, in fact he was the first non-Boeing 777 captain trained by Boeing in Seattle during the initial test flying of the very first 777.I walked him through a demo of the simulation and he was extremely impressed by the amount of detail paid to both the external model and (more impressively) the aircraft systems / flight deck. I had him walk me through the creation of a quick flight using the FMC and virtually everything he would normally do was modelled acurately. He even said that if more pilots knew about this it would make a great training aid for practicing real world procedures.After a quick look (about 30 minutes) he only noticed two fairly major inaccuracies. First, the extra power available to the 300ER with the new GE90 engines isn't reflected very well. My dad said he normally has to climb at reduced power because at full power and weight the 300ER will easily climb at over 2000 fpm. He likens it to "holding back a wild horse". However the simulation acts more like a lower powered 200.Secondly, and surprisingly, the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) seems to be in the wrong place on the exterior model. It's impressive that it is there and deploys at the right time, but its position puts it behind the wing which is a bad place due to airflow and on the real aircraft it's pretty much in line with the front of the wing.As for me, I understand that there are still a number of "bugs" to work out but I am still impressed with the vast amount of detail Phoenix put into the aircraft. I can't fault them for having problems with it, I just hope they continue to put in the same level of effort to work out the major issues and release patches so that we end up with a truely great simulation experience.

Guest Trans_601

Interesting read. I'm sure the FDs will be updated in the patch. I'd love to have V speeds called out, maybe even "approaching minimums" etc. The sounds are my biggest disappointment.

Guest glide

Joedid you eventually get to grips with the autopilot functions you were having problems with?kav

Guest Phoenix 1

the RAT (Ram Air Turbine) seems to be in the wrong place on the exterior model. It's impressive that it is there and deploys at the right time, but its position puts it behind the wing which is a bad place due to airflow and on the real aircraft it's pretty much in line with the front of the wing.I'm afraid I must beg to differ .. ( yes even with your training Captain ):)The RAT door on all 777 Photos I have used for reference (OH SO MANY!) clearly show the RAT DOOR outlined "behind" The Main Gear Doors on the underside of the wingroot fairing. This obviously places it just behind the trailing edge but I doubt it would be adversly affected by Airflow apart from the obvious and required effect of the generator prop spinning http://www.avsim.com/pss/screenshots/RAT.jpg

Guest Trans_601

Hi Glide, yes I got my problems sorted, it was a problem with FSUIPC module which led me to re install the entire FS9! I was meaning to email thanking you, but I've been flying so much!Thanks glide, you were a big help mate, really appreciated!Joe

Guest Midnight LS1

Seanhart,How does the feel of the aircraft in flight sim compare with the real world flight feel by manually hand flying it?

Guest seanhart

>The RAT door on all 777 Photos I have used for reference >(OH SO MANY!) >clearly show the RAT DOOR outlined "behind" The Main Gear>Doors on the underside of the wingroot fairing. This obviously>places it just behind the trailing edge but I doubt it would>be adversly affected by Airflow apart from the obvious and>required effect of the generator prop spinning My mistake and I apologise, turns out there was a misunderstanding because I asked my dad to point to the position of the RAT on a model he has and he pointed to the exact spot of it on the simulation. So I showed him the simulation again and he agrees that it is in the right place after all. Sorry for the confusion!I'm only visiting my dad for a few more days so if he has time I'll try and get a more thorough review.Anyway, it is a great simulation and I look forward to many hours of enjoyment.

Guest seanhart

>Seanhart,>>How does the feel of the aircraft in flight sim compare with>the real world flight feel by manually hand flying it?I don't think I can answer that question, my dad is the real world pilot but he's definitely not a computer pilot so I don't think he would like the feel of the computer joystick very much!

Guest Midnight LS1

>>Seanhart,>>>>How does the feel of the aircraft in flight sim compare with>>the real world flight feel by manually hand flying it?>>I don't think I can answer that question, my dad is the real>world pilot but he's definitely not a computer pilot so I>don't think he would like the feel of the computer joystick>very much!I mean like the roll rate, the feel during rotate, turns and landing is all close to real world like?

Hi, if you get him to fly the simulation again, please point this out to him relevant to his first comment, quoted at the bottom:Takeoff at MTGW and climb through MAX ALT, which both FMC and manual data agree on (~FL330). Now, where you are supposed to have 100 feet per minute climb, the simulation will now still climb at around 800FPM. The meaning of this one point test is that the simulation is exhibiting excess thrust (=thrust minus drag), contrary to your dad's observation. I have no Boeing 777 manuals and am assuming the PMDG manual reflects the original data.> the extra power available to>the 300ER with the new GE90 engines isn't reflected very well.>My dad said he normally has to climb at reduced power because>at full power and weight the 300ER will easily climb at over>2000 fpm. He likens it to "holding back a wild horse". However>the simulation acts more like a lower powered 200.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.