Sign in to follow this  
mozart

LOC capture fix doesn't work for me - what else can I do?

I tried the fix that is described in the sticky: I went to realism settings and changed the general tab to somewhere between 25% and 50&, leaving all the other settings where they were before (in my case around 50%).Trouble is: that doesn't resolve the issue.I therefore would like to know two things: 1) What else can I do? I read somewhere that someone made some modifications to the aircraft.cfg - which?2) Is PSS working to fix the issue from their side, or have they stopped looking at it once the fix has been discovered?ThanksChris

>can you provide a more detailed description on what you are>doing to capture the LOC>>John>PSS SUPPORT>support@phoenix-simulation.co.uk>>http://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpgJohn,Yes, I can of course. But before you read on, may I just state that I don't think it is a pilot/user error from me, as I successfully (auto-)land planes in FS since 7 years, including the PSS Airbusses, all the PMDG products, the LDS 767... Also, I went to the manual and the tutorial flight... And: I've done a successful autoland on my "test machine" (= a laptop which only has default FS9 installed, no add-on scenery, no weather, no AI) - it's only on my "real" machine with add-on scenery, ASV weather, full AI that I have the LCO capture/autoland issue.Still, here's what I do:1. Select the landing runway in on the FMC2. Cross-check that the ILS frequency is entered on the RAD/NAV page3. Select landing configuration (Vref/flaps) on the APPROACH page4. As soon as the LOC becomes "visible" on my PFD and ND, I push the LOC button5. I approach the LOC course with not more than 30 intercept angle, speed usually around 180 IAS, flaps as per PFD6. I capture the LOC, it shows on the PFD by changing from greed HDG/white LOC to a green LOC7. As the GS indicator starts to move, I push the APP button8. I slow down to 160 IAS, set flaps accordingly9. I arm the autospoilers, set the autobrake10. Once the G/S is captured (shown on the PFD), I slow down / lower the gears and set the flaps as commanded by the PFD----- AND THE CLOSER I GET TO THE TOUCHDOWN POINT, THE MORE THE PLANE MAKES WILD SWINGS AND BANKS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, OFTEN SO MUCH SO THAT I CANNOT EVEN TAKE CONTROL OVER IT AND HAND-LAND...Other factors that might be relevant: winds: never more than 15 kts, usually around the 10 kts markJohn, I would LOVE to hear that I am doing something wrong, as that would be the easiest fix, but I am afraid it has to do with the plane.Thanks for your patience. And please also let me know whether the PSS team is actually working on this issue or whether the fix posted by another simmer is deemed "sufficient".THanksChris7.

John,let me do a little test-flight from Abu Dhabi to DUbai tonight - the fastest way to find out.Thanks for being responsiveChris

>and what happens on your 'real' machine if you turn ASV off,>just curious?>>John>PSS SUPPORT>support@phoenix-simulation.co.uk>>http://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpgNaah, sorry John, doesn't help either....Hey, I am not bashing you or complaining or whatever - but just tell me whether or not you guys at PSS will take up this issue again. Because I think it needs to beThanksChris

Chris,When you do the approach, what sort of fps are you getting on finals. I ask, because I have found that ILS tracking in this particular aircraft seems to be hlghly dependent on fps. I had problems when I initially started flying into Gary Summons EGLL Pro add-on - using my normal settings I was only getting around 15 fps on finals; the result was ILS tracking just as you describe. When I adjusted settings to give 20 fps, ILS tracking was perfect right through autoland and reverse thrus deploy. Similarly, I have no problems flying into my other airfields add-ons as all are more fps friendly and need very little change to my usual settings to give me 20+.Hope this might help.John rooum

And to further complicate matters I had wild ils swinging till I uninstalled everything, including fsuipc, then re-downloaded and reran the base installer. No more swinging regardless of fps or general realism setting, which is always full right.Since then I've had good autolands at fps in the mid teens or even less on finals to complex airports with bad ASVE weather and max AI.Years of tech industry experience have taught me that when logic fails, wipe it and start clean.hope this helps too.regards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mar.../sup_banner.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lsd2.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

OK, I'll try all of these things... still, I feel that PSS should address the issue. It can't be that they release a product, a very expensive one BTW, which only works after a re-install of all add-ons...THanks for your help! I'll keep you posted for the resultsChris

Guest Phoenix_7

Your original report mentions that the 777 works fine on your test PC, but has problems on your 'real' PC. Therefore I would suggest the problem is with some other addons on your 'real' machineWe will continue to look into the situation but it's hard to fix something when you can't find what's brokenJohnPSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Interesting - after Mark's reply, I tried my EGLL Pro ILS again. I had not flown it for a week but I had re-installed the 777 in the meantime. I have just flown three ILS with the fps adjusted to give me 12-15 and had no problems - smooth ILS capture, tracking and a reasonably good autoland. Guess his final point is a timely reminder to us all.By the way - Mark - even when you are doing the approaches at these low fps values, does your autothrottle disconnect automatically when you press F2 on touchdown? I'd be interested in your experiences.John Rooum

Hi John,Can't say I'd noticed a problem with thrust on landing so I just did a little test circuit/autoland, fps about 14-15 - rev thrust does kick in and the aircraft does slow down - what is this a/t disconnect issue anyway? :) :-hmmmregards,Markhttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/mar.../sup_banner.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/markrey/lsd2.jpgXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark,The PSS 777 appears programmed so that, although throttles are automatically selected to idle on touchdown, the reverse thrust will not engage [on selecting F2] until the a/t disconnects. This normally occurs automatically but on many occasions it does not. There have been several threads on this and many folks have put an a/t disconnect on a joystick button so that they can manually disconnect on touchdown. I must have flown about 50 ILS [i have a couple of saved flights at 15 nm to run] and found that at some occasions the a/t disconnects and reverse thrust engages before the nosewheel is on the ground; at other times, the a/t does not disconnect and rev does not engage until speed reduces to anywhere fronm 120 kts -60 kts- sometimes it never disengages. At one stage, I thought this was fps driven - certainly at 20+ I have never seen the problem whilst at around 15 fps it does occur. But I have also seen the system working perfectly even on a low performance system [AMD 2000XP with only 12 fps at the default KSEA].I have no idea but it is only a very minor issue just interesting as I cannot find any corellation between the a/t disconnect and any other factor - odd!John

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.