Sign in to follow this  
psolk

sliding

Now tried it on landing with xwinds from 15 - 25 kts using auto and manual landings. In every case auto-ILS was faultless and landed me on the button on the centreline; however, a roll-out in autopilot quickly led to the aircraft gently departing the runway. With a manual landing, it is possible to stay on the runway - but is hard work at 25 kts xwind needing anticipation, full rudder and lots of aileron.The problem here seems to be that, even with spoilers extended, the aircraft is still "flying" at well below 100 kts [ie there is not much weight on the wheels] yet the flight controls have lost effectiveness due to the low speed whilst the wind is affecting the aircraft more than it should once the weight is on the wheels.I appreciate this is not something that PSS is looking at [not in the Sticky] but it might be something that we could kook at in the forum in terms of improving directional stability or the effectiveness of the controls. Unless of course I am wrong and the real 777 handles like this?

Guest FlyinJ

Found this on the web: "The maximum demonstrated crosswind limitation on a Boeing 777 during the take off and landing is 38 knots (43 mph) and the crosswind guidelines as given by the manufacturer is 45 knots (51 mph) on a dry runway or 40 knots (46 mph) on a wet runway."

>Scott,>This has nothing to do with any of that...>I had 24.5 fuel left, flaps 30 Vref 135 so approach speed was>Vref +5 touchdown speed of ~125-130. It doesn't make any>difference though, it is like landing on ice.>-PaulThe slower you are on approach, the more angle into the wind you will need. Keep the speed up and lose a flap setting or two. Try it with a Cessna and a good crosswind.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

FlyinJMany thanks for the info - about as I expected.Have now tried tuning the sensitivity and effectiveness of the rudder controls and it makes a big difference. I now have enough control authority to keep on the centreline on take off up to 40 kts xwind component and landings up to 35 kts [not tried 40 yet]. The latter is hard work [but so is a 707 - my only "real" experience in big jets - at a lot less than that].For info - the Auto-ILS worked perfectly on these approaches - up to 12 degrees of drift but kept me right on the centreline until I took over; usually at 100 ft.When the holidays are over and the PSS experts have some spare time, I might ask about the autoland situation - perhaps maintaining the centreline on the rollout is not modelled - indeed does the real 777 have it?John Rooum

Guest FlyinJ

Hi John.Yes, the real 777 does indeed have the capability of maintaining centerline during rollout after executing a successful autoland and is done using the aircraft's Enhanced Digital Flight Control System. This, of course, is also dependent on the runway's navigation equipment supporting CATIIIb autoland operations. Jeff

Guest FlyinJ

Good catch, John. I missed that thread. I'm quite surprised that John from PSS said it can't be done. Their 777 for FS2002 performed the rollout on centerline like a champ.Let's hope the fix comes in the patch.Jeff

This thread has been going for a few days, I am surprised none of the PSS guys have commented.-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest neiljay6

hi there!I seem to have a small problem when landing this impressive aircraft. Depending on Wind Direction on short final approach, upon landing onto the runway, the aircraft seem to SLIDE either to the left or right off the runway and partially on the the side apron all depending on what minor adjustments I make Rudder Wise.

Guest NormanB

James,Yes I did delete your post.In answer to your query, PSS support are only back today, not yesterday as you intimate.The rest is completely incorrect and not support related.

Guest NormanB

John,I personally have never pretended to be a Boeing expert, or indeed a fan. I was always more into GA planes to supliment my real world flying. That stopped with EFIS 98 and I got into the Airbus side of things. Big Time :)Things have changed an awful lot with the Triple 7 - I find myself flying it from the desktop when I don't have time to fire up the sim (A340 fixed base) but I'm still learning.The first I knew that the previous Triple had modelled roll out was from this thread. Despite nobody from the team mentioning it here (some of the lucky ones are still on hols!, it has been passed back to the developers. I honestly don't know if it was a deliberate ommission since the person who will know is not yet back from vacation.If you recall before release I mentioned that one serious bug was affecting us but never mentioned what it was? FDE work is so so so fine. Its like balancing on a sword edge on a unicycle, juggling fire, behind your back, blindfolded - standing on your head - or so I am lead to believe. The crosswind stuff became an issue as we were now coming into more gusty weather - previously it hadnt been seen whilst the likes of Triple7 and I who were throwing it around in serious winds just kicked in more rudder without thinking about it.PSS, in particular Robert and I who worked through some support issues over the holidays appreciate that in general, things were quiet and we trust that everybody (except Andrew Brown who I hear has went at least twice around the globe since Christmas!) had a great break.The support forum is just that. A forum for support. From user to user and of course from PSS. Thats the joy of a community.

NormanMany thanks for your prompt response. I am very happy to rest on my arms reversed and wait for the patch.But later on, when you have a moment and everything has settled down, grateful if you would explain the following:

Guest Gordius

>>PSS, in particular Robert and I who worked through some>support issues over the holidays appreciate that in general,>things were quiet and we trust that everybody (except Andrew>Brown who I hear has went at least twice around the globe>since Christmas!) had a great break.>>The support forum is just that. A forum for support. From>user to user and of course from PSS. Thats the joy of a>community. I have to put you right on that one Norman. Only once around the world in Concorde. You know because you were there (cheating as always) as well as several others that 23 hour flight from VHHH to EGLL was only just over half way RTW - my flight the night before from Boeing Field to VHHH falls just short of RTW in milage I think. As for the other 12 hours (excluding 40 minutes as a Follow Me Car) they were dotted all over the place and not a circumnavigation!Andrew Brownhttp://www.crazypilots.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

Guest NormanB

Did you not continue the 777 run back to HK? And then you did a Concorde run over the past two days. Is that not twice? ;)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.