Sign in to follow this  
psolk

sliding

Guest skippy

Hi Guys,FWIW I have exactly the same problem. During rollout with the AP still engaged (indicator light is on & I've not disconnected it) the a/c veers to the left and I'm able to apply rudder inputs - but it's a fight because when I release the rudder it just veers back to the left.Could someone please clarify what should happen on rollout if the AP is still engaged ? I know the correct proceedure is to disconnect AP on touchdown but if it is still engaged should the a/c continue to hold the centreline as it decelerates and comes to a stop ? CheersChris.

Guest NormanB

Chris,What radio aid is the the left side tuned to?

Hello,I reported all this in early November 2005, only to find out that the rollout function was according to PSS support, neither modeled nor planned to be.>FWIW I have exactly the same problem. During rollout with the>AP still engaged (indicator light is on & I've not>disconnected it) the a/c veers to the left and I'm able to>apply rudder inputs - but it's a fight because when I release>the rudder it just veers back to the left.>>Could someone please clarify what should happen on rollout if>the AP is still engaged ? I know the correct proceedure is to>disconnect AP on touchdown but if it is still engaged should>the a/c continue to hold the centreline as it decelerates and>comes to a stop ?

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Chris (and Norman, if you're reading this).I'm fairly certain you and most everyone who flies the 777 has their left nav radio properly tuned to the ILS frequency for the runway on which they are landing. With that in mind...What "should" happen upon touchdown and rollout during a CATIIIb autoland is that the AP stay engaged (indicator light is on). After all, the autopilot is responsible for keeping the aircraft on centerline via the signals being received by the aircraft's 3 autopilot systems from the very precise CATIIIb ground based ILS transmitters. At the pilot's discretion, the AP is disengaged and the aircraft is taxied off the runway.So disconnecting the AP upon touchdown is not what happens in the real world when performing a full autoland - it is what has been suggested on this forum in order to overcome the current problem with the PSS autopilot not being able to hold centerline.FWIW, the workaround I use is:1) On short final, ensure NumLock is off.2) Upon touchdown, tap the 5 key on the numpad to center the control surfaces. The PSS 777 will now roll right down the centerline with only minor rudder input to compensate for any crosswind you may have.Hope that works for you until this issue is resolved.Jeff

Jeff, for me, I just disconnect the AP at DH and land manually

Guest NormanB

John's info was that it couldnt be modelled in FS9. He is usually right but wasn't on that occassion. In beta a number of us did autolands without issue. I have done a few without issue since and trying to see where things are potentially going wrong.For anybody watching EGBB on VATSIM tonight, my grass cutting skills had nothing to do with the autopilot - I'm claiming those all on my own :)

Guest FlyinJ

Yeah, but the airport maintenance guy who was mowing the lawn between the runways was a little shaken when you went careening by! Just kidding, Norman! :)

Thanks Norman - But, several of us are still seeing the following :AT 50 ft APP light off, LOC light on ---- Good. AP has disconnected from glidepath and is following pre-programmed flare whilst lateral control remains with the localiser.At touchdown LOC light off ---- Bad. AP remains engaged but has disconnected from the localiser. Joystick remains inhibited and there are no control inputs from AP [either localiser, hdg or VNAV]. The aircraft will hold the hdg it was on when the LOC disconnected unless it is disturbed by some external force ie a crosswind.In my view, this explains why, with no xwind, we initially believed that the auto roll-out was working on our installations.Grateful if you could confirm what you are seeing from the autopilot on touchdown [i assume that your excursions onto the grass last night were from a manual landing].Many ThanksJohn R

Guest NormanB

John,I'm starting to wonder if this is a cunning ploy to have me forget my beloved Airbus ;)Seriously though, all the feedback here is listened to. I shall do a couple of flights today and report back tonight if able.

Am I the only one who has issues with ground control with or without A/P? I thought the post started with a complaint of ground control under manual or auto-landing. It seems like it has now gone specifically down the auto route but I still have major issues controlling her under a manual landing with any sort of x-wind.Just curious if the manual aspect of this is still being explored as well.With either takeoff or landing, the 777 is by far the hardest a/c in my fleet to control on the ground. There have been times I have had to do everything in my power just to keep it on the runway during takeoff, very frustrating to be at full right rudder deflection and moving to the left... Other than that, I love her and she has probably been my most frequently flown a/c since I got her.-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

PaulHave a look at my earlier post in this thread. Essentially, I increased the rudder sensitivity [via FS9] and effectiveness [aircraft.cfg] for the T7 and this provided enough controllability right up to the xwind limits. I also suspect that PSS have this in hand - they mentioned work on the FDE.As you note, the one item left is the auto land roll out. We are still waiting for them to confirm whether it is modelled or not.John R

Guest skippy

>Chris,>>What radio aid is the the left side tuned to?Norman (just following up my e-mail and screen shot to you),EGCC RWY06R with VOR R, VOR L and ILS tuned manually to 111.55 and MCP Heading set to 055.CheersChris.

>Paul>>Have a look at my earlier post in this thread. Essentially, I>increased the rudder sensitivity [via FS9] and effectiveness>[aircraft.cfg] for the T7 and this provided enough>controllability right up to the xwind limits. I also suspect>that PSS have this in hand - they mentioned work on the FDE.>>As you note, the one item left is the auto land roll out. We>are still waiting for them to confirm whether it is modelled>or not.>>John RThanks John,This thread has gone in a few different directions so I did not know someone had a workaround.So you are not talking about the contact point modifications discussed in this thread correct? You are saying just crank up my rudder sensitivity in my controls within FS? I am just trying to verify.Thanks a ton,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I would recommend not adjusting anything just yet. Wait and see if the patch fixes it (the manual landing/sliding to one side problem) before you start chasing sensitivity settings. What you do for the T7 might screw up other aircraft in your folder. This is what I am doing.

Eric 

PaulNot sure about the contact point mods - weight on the wheels should impact on control effectiveness on the ground but I do not know enough about FS programming to change these factors. For my use of the T7, I:1. Increased rudder sensitivity in FS 9 to maximum - some improvement but not enough.2. Used FS9 Configurator to increase the PSS T7 rudder effectiveness to 3.5 - this provided enough control up to the limit.If you do not have it, FS9 Configurator is a super [free] programme from Ken Salter - available from Avsin library.Try it and let me know how you get on.John R

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.