Sign in to follow this  
psolk

sliding

Something is wrong when you can not keep track of how many times you circled the globe ;)Best,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Gordius

>Did you not continue the 777 run back to HK? And then you>did a Concorde run over the past two days. Is that not twice?>;)Ah well no :-( I did leave EGLL for VHHH intending to return the aircraft to Boeing Field after that unfortunately I was so close to falling asleep over Russia on the way to VHHH I gave up (Guilhem did make that leg). However, not being happy with the route I flew from VHHH to EGLL (cut about three hundred miles out trying play catch up with the main group after CTD) I will in the next couple of weeks be flying VHHH to EGLL again so maybe then I will finish the rest of the RTW. Sorry Norman I obviously didn't tell you that bit - my fault :-)Hours over that week on IVAO did increase from about 485 to 560 though and PSS all of the way. Hope that clears things up and sorry again.Andrew Brownhttp://www.crazypilots.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/192029.png

Guest AerLingusFan

>James,>>Yes I did delete your post.>>In answer to your query, PSS support are only back today, not>yesterday as you intimate.>>The rest is completely incorrect and not support related.Well its a matter of opinion to say its 'completely inaccurate' as you put it above because others would tend to think differently regarding the way things are handled by PSS. You'll find that many would agree that this 777 was rushed when it comes to things like the FDE especially but I'm not completely putting down this addon. After all it does have it's pros but IMO when it comes to things like FDE's you should have it spot on because otherwise you'll get unhappy customers wanting their money back. Had there not been a patch announced I deinfitly would've wanted a refund but in knowing there is one in the making I'm happy to stick with this as overall its a very enjoyable aircraft to fly. But in response to the date of the PSS team returning to work, in fairness it did say on your website the following: "The PSS team will be taking a short break over the holiday period, closing at 2359z on the 23rd December 2005 and reopening 0900z on the 2nd January 2006."So thats where I got those dates from. Cheers,James

Guest NormanB

James,Oops ;)The dates where put there by me but of course was a mistake - the 2nd was still a holiday.Sorry for the confusion!

I thought that I had put this tread to bed and was happy to wait until after PSS had finalised the patch. However, in view of all the amazing RTW missions that our experts have been flying over the last few days, perhaps one of them could answer my original questions:1. Can the T7 cope with a 25+kt xwind component on take off and landing with the default FS9 and PSS settings?2. Is auto-ILS rollout after touchdown supposed to be modelled?I only ask as the forum seems very quiet at the moment and I still do not know whether it is a problem unique to my rig.John Rooum

Guest NormanB

John,Both Triple7 and I did numerous landings today with him doing manual lands and me on autolands.After landing mine did indeed stay on the centreline. What we did find though was this:Set the two VOR displays on. If VOR1 is to anything other than the proper one once its landed it then heads off in the direction of said navaid. For example landing Manchester's 24R I had INN and MCT. If they were MCT and INN things got very tricky on rollout.It probably makes very little sense right now but I shall revisit this again tomorrow after a nights sleep - I have no FSX announcements to stay up and watch :D

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Norman,Did a Autoland test in the T7 just a minute ago at KMWH. I selected runway 32R as my landing runway and verified on the CDU's NAVRAD page that the 32R localizer frequency of 109.50 and inbound course of 323 had been selected. I positioned the T7 about 25nm out on a heading of 290 to intercept the 32R localizer from the east. At 25nm out, VOR1 was autotuned to MWH VOR 115.00 and VOR2 was autotuned to EPH VOR 112.60. As advertized, at roughly 15-20nm out, VOR1 (the nav radio that is used to fly the ILS) autotuned to the localizer frequency 109.50. Interestingly, so did VOR2. From what I understand, once the aircraft is in APP mode the only thing that will change the localizer frequency now tuned into VOR1 is a complete loss of the localizer signal. Since loc frequency failures are not modeled in FS, we should never have VOR1 'un-tune' the loc frequency during final approach and rollout after landing.As my T7 gently descended on the glideslope towards the runway at 140 knots in 0 wind (verified no wind speed/dir or arrow displayed on ND), the gentle left-right localizer corrections started in as usual. I pressed the 5 key (FS command to center all control surfaces) on the numpad and the wings went level for just a second or two and then the gentle left-right corrections started in again. This time I waited until the nose was pointing slightly right of the loc centerline and then repeatedly tapped the 5 key on the numpad to center the control surfaces and force the aircraft to the right of the localizer. When I stopped my tapping on the 5 key, the AP rolled the T7 sharply to the left to re-intercept the localizer and then settled back into the gentle left-right corrections again. This confirmed to me that the AP is performing minor aileron/rudder adjustments in order to stay on the locaizer.With the AP doing it's thing and my intermittent tapping of the 5 key to keep that nose centered, the T7 touched down on the runway centerline and I immediately applied reverse thrust via the F2 key. She looked like she was going to hold centerline, but then started to drift to the right. Yes, I did say "to the right". One of my previous posts may have suggested the yawing problem was chronically "to the left", but as evidence suggests, it looks like it could happen in either direction. I applied left rudder via the joystick to keep her on the centerline, but when I relaxed on the left rudder, she wanted to veer even more drastically to the right. When I tapped the 5 key on the numpad, the right drifting tendency stopped completely and she rolled easily down the centerline with only the slightest of rudder adjustments.This leads me to believe two things: 1) The control surface inputs the AP last applied to keep the T7 on the centerline just at the moment of touchdown are not removed.2) The AP has uncoupled itself from the localizer signal and is no longer applying control surface inputs despite the "Rollout" annunciation on the PFD.These are just my observations. Maybe this information will come in handy in your investigations and maybe not, but thought I'd pass it your way.Cheers,Jeff

Guest FlyinJ

Hello again John.>1. Can the T7 cope with a 25+kt xwind component on take off and landing with the default FS9 and PSS settings?The limitations for the real 777 are:"The maximum demonstrated crosswind limitation on a Boeing 777 during the take off and landing is 38 knots (43 mph) and the crosswind guidelines as given by the manufacturer is 45 knots (51 mph) on a dry runway or 40 knots (46 mph) on a wet runway."Not sure what limitations the PSS model allows.>2. Is auto-ILS rollout after touchdown supposed to be modelled?The real 777 does it, so I'm sure PSS will want to model this capability (via a patch) in their 777 for FS2004. Again, they did have the rollout function modelled in their 777 for FS2002.Cheers,Jeff

NormanFlown several more ILS this am into stock FS9 and add-on airports [ensuring VOR1 is correct in every case]. With zero wind, the aircraft rolls out straight and, thus, appears to be under AP control.With any xwind component, the aircraft flies a perfect ILS [up to 11 deg of drift at 35 kts xwind] touches down on the centreline but then starts turning into wind

Guest NormanB

John,I wasnt looking at winds but could find out since I was using Activesky 6 and could pull back the winds for yesterday.Im tied up with other things for an hour or so before I can go circuit bashing.

NormanThanks - a PS to the above. I have just looked more closely at what the AP is indicating during the last few seconds of the approach. On my system at a height of 50 ft on the radalt, the APP light goes out and the LOC light comes on [as I would expect], then as soon as all main wheels touchdown, the LOC light goes out - confirmimg that the AP has disconnected from the ILS signal.Look forward to hearing your experiences when you have the time.John

Guest FlyinJ

Good eye, John! I just witnessed the exact same behavior with the APP and LOC button lights this morning and was going to post, but you beat me to it. Also noted upon touchdown - the Autopilot's "Rollout" mode goes from armed (white) to active (green) as evidenced by the "Rollout" annunciation visible on the Flight Mode Annunciation windows at the top of the PFD. So it is clear that the Autopilot is attempting to do its job. For this morning's test, I applied no reverse thrust and no autobrakes - I simply allowed her to roll down the runway at idle thrust and see how the autopilot handled the Rollout portion of the autoland. Same result. As she started her gentle excursion towards the side of the runway, I again could use the rudder to keep her on the centerline, but if I relaxed my application of rudder, the minute control surface inputs that the Autopilot had applied and left in place a second before touchdown caused the T7 to want to veer off centerline. Once again, I was able to stop this by centering the control surfaces via a tap of the 5 key on the numpad and applying a slight rudder correction to get her lined up on the centerline again. From there on out, she rolled straight on down the line.Jeff

Agree Jeff.I guess we need to wait for Norman and they are obviously very busy [although the forum is quiet] - guess why??John

JeffWhile we are waiting, have a look at the Panels thread below:My spoilers retract when I come out of reverse thrust - I assumed that ewas SOP for the 777.My autobrake automatically disarms - not sure what might cause his problem.John

Guest FlyinJ

JohnThis topic belongs under a different thread, so I won't expand on it much. The correct behavior is that the spoilers should *not* auto-retract - they can only be manually retracted once deployed. Whether the pilot is allowed to retract them while still on the runway or after vacating is an airline specific SOP.Jeff

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.