Sign in to follow this  
Guest C172pilot

never enough fuel?

Guest C172pilot

hey all.. I've noticed that I never have enough fuel for my flights..even after "editing" an aircraft with the nifty cool updates published from PSS recently, I still cannot manage to get a positive number for the estimated fuel level at destination.I've noticed that whenver I go to set my COST INDEX the situation occurs, how can I select a number which will give me more realistic figures.. I forgot the formula my buddy gave me on how to calculate CI's..THANKS! :-)

Guest C172pilot

uhm. anybody?

Guest aelstthierry

HiI'll try to help youCost index= Cost time/Cost fuelCost time= time-related cost per minute of flightCost fuel= cost of fuel per kgMost of the cost indexes are determit by the airlines themselfs.I'm using 85.Secondly, fuel calulation.Wich distance do you use between your departure airport and arrival airport.To calculate fuel, never use the route distance. You need to calculate the air mas distance.If you've got a head windcomponent of 50kts and this for a flight of 5 hours, well then you have to ad 250nm to your route distance.Also start your fuel calculation with your reserves you would like when you arrives.Kind regardsThierry

Guest C172pilot

Hmm.. I tried what you said, and the same problems happened..I know for a fact a 777 can fly new york-London on well under 140,000lbs of fuel (even after you add in diversion, hold etc... fuel). Yet, I'll be givenINSUFFICENT FUEL pop up on fms. However.. I deciced to let the tanks run dry and ended up having 5 hours of EXTRA fuel onboard. Is this an error in the programming which causes this message to always pop up??thanks.

Just a wayward thought but have you got the aircraft configured using LBS or KGS?? ie imperial or metric, because if the aircraft is congifured for KGS and you are thinking they are LBS, well have you heard of the Gimli Glider? :(______________________________________Rob YMA002 - Compass Airlines Australia - a new direction!2846.png

Rob Grant
Compass Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia

Could also be the result of what is entered in the FMC for reserve. Believe the system will show insufficient fuel if calculated arrival fuel is below that entered for reserve. Solution - change your reserve.Jim Harnes

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.