Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeanluc73

777 - Light

Guest Jeanluc73

Hi,I have a strange problem with PSS 777, about lights.I can't turn on lights before starting engine......both nav light, beacon and so on.......i can't also communicate with tower with radio.After that I start engine everythings work perfectly.What is wrong.....I connect external power, external air and APU, but lights not work, why ?Can someone help me to solve this problem ?Thanks in advance.Jeanluc - Alitalia Captain

Guest FlyinJ

Hello Jeanluc.You are experiencing the same thing I am. It must be a bug and appears that the FS battery drain feature is not recognizing the fact that electrical power is being supplied by either the external power or APU functions of the PSS T7. It's only a guess, but those who are not experiencing this problem may have the FSUIPC "Extend Battery Life" feature enabled. Hmmmm.... does the PSS manual say we need to have that FSUIPC feature enabled? I'll take a look.Jeff

Guest FlyinJ

Hello again Jeanluc.I couldn't find anything in the PSS documentation regarding this. So I rest on my previous assumptions that: a) it's probably an oversight and something that will be addressed in the forthcoming patch or :( PSS and everyone else who is not experiencing the issue has the "Extend Battery Life" feature enabled in FSUIPC.Hey Norman - Any comments? :)Jeff

Guest CaptainJoe

I ran into a interesting problem that has shed some light on to the avionics power issue. I had saved a cold and dark set up with the avionics powered up. All was fine. Then I updated FSUIPC and reset all the FSUIPC defaults. Next flight in the PSS777 started fine. All lights worked and was able to tune the radios. In the middle of my flight, VTBD-RJAA, I noticed all external lights and the light (not the green letters) for the overhead were out. I checked the radio and it would not tune. Hmmmmm. Ok so in mid flight I switched to the Cessna 172 and made sure are battery switches were on and they were. Ok. So I switched back to the 777, got the engines re-lit set AP back to the correct settings. Sweet all the lights are back and the radios tune. Ok all set ( I thought) I did not checks lights or radios again. Ok time to tune the ILS and get her on the ground. Hmmmm no ILS signal. Do I have the correct freg? Shuffle pages around and decide yes I have the correct freg loaded. Well I can see the runway in the distance so I shot the visual and landed. ##### no landing lights! #### no exteranl lights and the radios will not tune. Now what!Ok time to wrap up this long story. When I reset the FSUIPC to default it kicked off the infinite battery life setting. My guess is the external lights and the avionics have gotten programmed to run off a battery and not one of the generators. I say this because I flew RJAA-KSEA then to KDEN and never had an issue with the lights or avionics again. Must be a script problem in there somewhere.catvisig.png

Guest Mariner

Regret to say that I have an unregistered version of FSUIPC (v3.52), thus I cannot make any changes to it, and have not experienced any problems with any of the lighting, internal or external nor with tuning the radios. So it's not likely to be FSUIPC or the settings therein that are causing the problem.That's not to say that I haven't experienced other problems - most of those aired in this forum since the release of this aircraft in fact. Patience has now finally run out and I will not be using this software again until the patch is released and hopefully a usable simulation is the end result.

Guest FlyinJ

Dave,How long did you run the 777 on external power before starting the engines? Give it about 20 minutes running on external power and/or APU alone and tell me if you're nav lights are still working. I just did another test with and without FSUIPC "Extend Battery Life" enabled. With it enabled, there is no problem and the external lighting and radios remain operational no matter how long I have the 777 running on external power and/or APU. If the E.B.L. feature of FSUIPC is disabled, the external lighting and radios shutdown after several minutes.Jeff

Hello Jean-Luc and Jeff,It looks to me that you are experiencing an electrical problem linked to your FS9 Cessna default start situation if you have one. The PSS 777, like many other sophisticated addons, requires that you start FS9 with the default Cessna with battery and avionics on (even if you intend to start your 777 C&D). Should you wish thereafter to save a PSS777 situation with a cold and dark cockpit, you can do so and you won't have to load your default Cessna anymore.

Guest Mariner

Jeff,I have just run a trial with the 777ER with the following results:a. On external power all lights, internal and external, and radios remain fully functional after 3 hours.b. On APU only - same result, only I gave up watching after one hour because watching paint dry is slightly more interesting!!!I did start up Flight Sim with the Default (Seattle -Cessna) flight with battery and avionics switched on, engine off then changed to the T7 at Copenhagen.

Does any of you having that problem use hardware on which you have a command for FS9 battery by any chance?

Guest FlyinJ

Hi Dave,This falls under the category of "Things that make you go hmmmmm". Here's what I did step by step:1) Started FS9 and it presented me with the default Cessna 172SP N176CM and a preselected airport of SeaTac Intl (KSEA). This is as far as I know the Default Flight (FLTSIM.FLT).2) I selected Fly Now and it positioned me on Rwy 34R ready for takeoff with the engine running and ALT/BAT switches on.3) I slewed the Cessna over to a taxiway on the west side of the airport and then removed slew so that the Cessna was sitting on the taxiway with engine idling.4) Changed my aircraft over to the T7. As my startup options are set for C&D, the engines spooled down and the displays went to black while the sundrie warning bells played in the background.5) Once C&D, I opened the Setup screen and connected the Primary and Secondary External Power and the Ground Air.6) Opened the overhead and verified the Pri and Sec Ext Pwr switches showed "Avail" and then set the Battery switch, Pri and Sec Ext Pwr switches to ON and started the APU.7) I then set the Nav lights to ON and switched to spot view.8) Being familiar with the 'watching paint dry' process you mentioned, I accelerated to 4x sim speed and watched and waited.9) After almost exactly 5 minutes (20 minutes unaccelerated), the Navigation lights went out.I've run out of ideas.Jeff

Guest Mariner

Hi Jeff,I will repeat what you did later today and let you know the result.

JeffI have exactly the same as you with EBL off. I suspect it is a characteristic of PSS programming

Guest FlyinJ

I'm with you John. This is really just a minor thing and easily resolved by enabling EBL via FSUIPC. I discovered the issue when I switched off EBL just to see if the Pri/Sec Ext Pwr and APU really worked and wanted to make PSS aware of my findings. As a matter of course, I have EBL always enabled because sometimes I like to position the default Cessna at a busy Intl airport such as Heathrow, shut her down and just watch and listen to the AI comings and goings. I guess you could call it virtual planespotting.Jeff

JeffMy favourite is cranking up Bill Lyons' Goose and pottering around FreeFlow Bermuda [my daughter lives there and we visit regularly]Sorry PSS - nothing to do with the 777 - except that BA take me there in one twice a year and this is the route I have been using with the PSS 777 and FS9; and the figures seem to work out very well.John R

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.