Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Getting both COM1 and COM2 radios to work

Hello everyone,I did some reading on this forum regarding how to set default flight and it's effect on COM2 and on cold&dark start of the 772LR but cannot solve my problem. The explanations in the PSS manual do not go through a step-by-step PROCESS which shows HOW COM2 can be made to work, and cold-dark cockpit is achieved. So I decided to post here.After setting my default flight as the FS2004 default Cessna with engines running, no settings changed (even the weather left untouched at FAIR) and then switching to the PSS 777-200LR WITH VC (British Airways livery), I still cannot get the COM2 radio to tune properly and the airplane is NOT cold & dark.IN the default Cessna: (1) I turned off ignition (2) Avionics ON (3) MAGNETOS ON (4) selected COM1 and BOTH for the radios thinking this should enable both COM radios... I also tried COM2 AND BOTH on - with same results mentioned below.** COM RADIOS: The COM1 works fine and so do both NAV1 (used mainly for ILS) and NAV2 (for a VOR). However, COM2 tunes ONLY the large frequencies to the left of the decimal (e.g. tunes 124 but does not tune .725 so tuning to 125.725 is possible but cannot tune to 125.550 for example).** COLD & DARK:Even after starting with the default Cessna, engines running as is setup by Microsoft, and selecting COLD & DARK in the PSS 777 setup menu startup options, there are many buttons still left in the ON or AUTO position, including (among many others) APU GENERATOR, packs, ENGINE PUMPS (electrical and engine driven), ADIRU. Though SOME switches are in the off position.My impression of the 777 is actually that it's over-reliance (in fact, complete reliance) on the default Cessna) makes it vulnerable to the above issues. By the way my FSUIPC IS set to extend battery life indefinitely (999). I have no problems when I use a saved flight of the 772LR with all switches off except for the COM2 radio.I did not even need the COM2 until recently - when I started flying on VATSIM, making tuning of radios a very time-consuming task, hence the need to have four frequencies (CTR, APP, TWR, GND for example) tuned and ready to go.The PMDG 744 which I also own has no problems with using COM2 and COM1 and NEITHER does the PMDG 737NG series which I have already used on several occasions on VATSIM using both COM radios. The PSS AIrbus A320 and the 777, however, don't have a functional COM2.The instructions by PSS for using the default Cessna simply mention that it should be used but does NOT mention what COMBINATIONS of settings in the default Cessna AND the PSS 777 setup menu startup options are supposed to work. In any case, I've tried all possible options I can think of. Perhaps I'm missing something.Can anyone help?PSS help would also be appreciated.JOHN

Hello,mine is still in the hangar awaiting required engineering modifications. I do not memorize everything, but looked in the systems manual. Page 50 details COMM and NAV radios, and I saw nothing there about using COM2 radio.

Guest jeffpelgrims

COM2 seems to work but I can only change the 3 first number but did'nt find how to change the 3 last.

Thanks to Opher and Jean-Francois.Jean-Francois, that is the same problem I have too. I just flew yet another perfect - I mean PERFECT flight (offline, not on VATSIM) without any problems - with the PMDG 737NG (-700 series), this time with FULL departure and arrival programmed into the FMC and there were absolutely no problems whatsoever.I think I understand now why people love to use the PMDG 737NG series on VATSIM - it just simply WORKS! That's all we ask from PSS - that their products work as DESIGNED and AS PROMISED.John

Guest Steve_Park

Take a look at the sticky post (the one that say's "if you read nothing else, please read this"). The com 2 decimial issue has been around since day 1 and will be addressed in the service update.AFAIK, all high end aircraft have some dependance on the default FS to set certain states. And also, if you want unlimited battery power, set your FSUIPC battery under the techinical tab to "0", NOT "999" to extend battery life.Steve Park

Thank-you Steve. I must have gotten the instructions for unlimited battery power mixed up.It's great that the COM2 issue is being addressed. I did not mean to just complain for the sake of complaining and I hope you realize that. Some of the so-called "known-issues" are stuff that, as many users in this forum have ALSO pointed out, should NOT have been in the final release of the 777 but should have been resolved BEFORE in the Alpha and Beta stages. The AVSIM reviewer also made the same/similar point that the 777 has great potential but seems rushed (e.g. the handling on autopilot-the FDE etc...).It is no longer acceptable by anyone who pays for airplane add-ons to have these kinds of bugs in software. If many think the price was low (for the base packages), well-we got what we made for - cheap price, lower-than-acceptable product. Don't forget that PMDG charged $55 US for the 744 and PSS's price, in pounds, when converted to US dollars is still way cheaper so PSS can charge a little bit more but GET IT RIGHT - THE FIRST TIME!... and not after the first patch (or second or third...)John

Guest NormanB

John,The com2 issue sneaked in at a late stage. I fly online pretty much all the time and always have com2 on unicom 122.80 and I know it worked earlier.As for getting it right the first time; if only we (thats all add on developers) could. Sadly, with so many varients in hardware I don't realistically think thats possible.I do take issue with the line "lower thab acceptable" - pricing is one of the more difficult aspects. Too low and people think they are getting a sub standard product, too high and you can hear the sharp intakes of breath across the forum.We believe our pricing point (and structure) is just right.

Norman,I wanted you to know that the PSS 777 series has a great deal to offer so I don't want you or anyone reading this to misunderstand me. The clarity of the fonts on the labels of switches and gauges is very sharp and a pleasure to look at (though the CRT clarity seems a little blurry, at least on my PC, compared to the PMDG 737NG and 747).I think your statement that you can't get it right for all kinds of PC's is an excuse. First of all, PMDG's older 737NG and 744 do not have this issue on my machine and PMDG also uses something which effectively nullifies the effect of the default Cessna - a panel state saver. Perhaps PSS can look into this? Therefore, it is not a matter of getting it right on every machine - we are not talking about a minor cosmetic issue here which can vary depending for example, on video or audio drivers and their versions - but a completely unusable COM2 radio, which WORKS on the PMDG, the Flight 1 Cessna and I believe even on the default Cessna!As for pricing, I don't want to start another long discussion about this. You cannot be the judge as to whether your pricing is well-balanced or just right for you are biased - simply because you WORK for PSS! So please, stop offering "opinions" about your own product! It's like me saying my PC is the best in the world when in fact it is only an ATHLON XP 3200+ (not exactly the best PC for even flight simulation with today's add-ons, let alone being the best in the world).I do want you to know, though, that the 777 as mentioned by many already, holds a lot of potential and promise. It just needs to be "fixed" and several of these fixes should have been done BEFORE release, even if it meant a little more delay in the final release. As it is now, I fly it only occasionally and several people have mentioned it is "in the hangar" so what's the use of releasing something that will frustrate clients just for the sake of not delaying it any further to "save face". You've lost the "face" you tried to save by your early release, by releasing it with several major bugs so in the end, it helps noone and PSS loses something much more valuable - Esteem. Your Airbuses also are a great idea and are still the only ones out there which are pretty well done out of hardly any other company which has made Airbuses but again, the ABPro, a "patched-up" version of the 2002 release is a real headache. Either get better programmers, better managers who don't push the developers to meet unrealistic deadlines (if that is what is happening) or just take your time. People have seen "patches" from other computer software companies like Microsoft, Symantec and for games are truly fed up of the "release now...get the money and patch later" attitude.I hope you understand. I am not attacking PSS but making constructive criticism. Hope you take it for what it is: An attempt to help a good company like PSS make GREAT products.Sincerely,John (Can) Agbaba

Guest NormanB

John,Posts like yours that are lucid, well thought out and presented are a pleasure.Please understand when I mentioned about getting it right isnt an excuse but a fact. The com2 issue however isnt part of that and if I inferred differently then the error was mine since as I have said elsewhere, com2 used to work but plain and simple doesnt in the release version.When I spoke on pricing it was made as a simmer. Yes I work for PSS but it doesn't stop me having a hangar of many aircraft, both freeware and commercial. Taking my employ out of the equation I honestly would think that they do represent value. Others may differ which is fine - it makes our world a more interesting place!Your comments on release are a sore point and one I hope to not see repeated. Somebody within our team mentioned a date as a release and lessons have been learnt from that. In regards to management of future products, thats now down to me (note the tense).Once again, thanks for your post. PSS always welcome constructive criticism.Best regards,

Thanks for the kind words Norman.I hope everything truly works out for you and for PSS. As for the release date, don't worry about it. I now understand, after facing the long development periods of PMDG and then PSS that these things really DO take enormous amounts of time and, even though I don't do development or programming, I DO work in computer (first level) support and know what a mess :-wink2 computers (especially software) can create.By the way, all this 777 talk inspired me to try a crazy long distance flight next week - one I've planned for some time now - probably from Montreal to Hong Kong (CYUL - VHHH)! ... but ... not in real time! ... for I may not live through it :-hang especially since in real life, at least two crew rotations are done for such a flight!John

Guest NormanB

Real time is the ONLY way John.Do it like a real crew. Get to cruise, monitor systems and then hand over (walk away and do whatever is needed) to the next crew.Later when you have chance monitor things once again for a while before retiring for the night. Waken, refreshed and ready to take the flight and enjoy the descent into Hong Kong.If you are crazy like some of us here you will forego the offers from the other (virtual) crews and sit, glued to the computer for the duration.Looking forward to your report.

Norman,Off the subjest, I know, but just a small follow-up on the above response on pricing. When the 777 was first released, I had no problems with your approach to pricing the product. But, it is interesting that you business plan now

Guest NormanB

John,The pricing of the CD version is that of a seperate company - I don't have any sway in what they choose or how much we sell it to them for.

Appreciate that - thanks for the response.looking forward to the patch - when you are ready.John R

Hi Norman, I had posted my first attempt to fly from CYUL to VHHH (Montreal-Hong Kong) on another thread (called "fell out of the sky!") but wanted to reply directly to your "request for report" :)) on this thread.On the second attempt, I managed to fly much further without problems and in fact landed safely at Chek Lap Kok airport in Hong Kong. However, a similar drop in speed occurred but not at the same spot, but much further down in the flight plan (I used the identical flight plan as the previus day). I don't know how I managed to finally get the plane to re-gain its speed... but I may have a good idea after yesterday's re-fly but using the PMDG 744.The 772LR does not seem to have any horn or siren warning like the 744 does when SPOILERS are deployed. Yesterday, I took about 3-4 hours planning a new, much shorter router over the Arctic (a little over 6700NM as opposed to about 7329NM for the 772 trip) with the PMDG 744. The 744's range does not allow for a nice leisurely route like I had the privilege of doing with the extra long range 772LR so I had to use the FS2004 flight planner in IFR mode with a GPS route setting then modify the route slightly to add some waypoints. A strange loss of speed also occurred with the 744 - but after much effort, I could not resume normal cruise speed. I was hovering around 0.640-0.680 Mach. Then I switched to spot view and noticed, to my utter shock, that the spoilers were deployed! I did NOT get any warnings about this. After retracting the spoilers - all went back to normal. It is very possible this may have also happened with the 772LR but I had switched to spot view (at least I think I had) several times but did not NOTICE the spoilers deployed. IN fact, I think I had played with the spoilers a few times...though I'm not a 100% sure about this.In any case, I will do more flights next week and see what happens. I just upgraded my Active Sky 6 to the latest service pack before yesterday's 744 flight but only had the "unofficial" release D1 when doing the 772LR flights.In any case, all went well after recovering speed and I landed safely in Hong Kong.John

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.