Sign in to follow this  
mozart

What's wrong with PSS these days...?

Hi Norman and team,I try to write this as calmly as possible, although I am really frustrated by my recent PSS experience(s).Just as a background: I've owned the FS2002 744 and 777, all the Airbusses and the Dash - and I love(d) them all, and still enjoy my Airbusses and Dash very much in FS2004.Therefore I didn't hesitate a single second when the opportunity existed to pre-purchase the new 777. I did so, and also bought the full livery pack right away. OK, not a small sum of money there for something not even released, but then I always had full trust in PSS. But then: like so many other people I had the problem of the 777 doing a rodeo on ILS. OK, not a big issue. So I tried all the fixes and solutions posted on this forum. Didn't help. OK, still not a big issue. So I completely de-installed FS, erased my entire HD, re-installed everything. OK, happy to do that to really make sure it's not my system or myself that causes the problems. Re-installation: very frustrating! Downloads interrupted all the time, it's only after Norman very kindly made a special download file available for me that installation worked. But: the plane still didn't fly properly. Less OK now... De-installed everything again, tried Norman's load editor and fuel planner to get CoG settings right. T7 still behaving like a drunken boy. Less and less OK.... Then the new installer with the load editor and fuel planner was made publicly available, so I de-installed again, re-installed. And now: the panel is completely screwed. I see all the gauges WITHOUT any letters or numbers. Just the background colours. Now that is no longer OK. Tried several more de-installs and re-installs, but the problem persists.I hope you guys appreciate that I really tried all possible solutions and fixes, and I was really patient with this. And don't belong to the group of people that see a minor issue and then start shouting abuse and refund all over the forums. But having said that, I've come to the conclusion that this product is still flawed.So I was shocked to see that the boxed version is put on sale. Other developers (no names here) only make the boxed version of their products available when they and their customers are sure that the version that is out there (and that has been patched BTW) is one that works. So, dear PSS team, I still owe you many many thanks for the many hours of wonderful simming I've had thanks to your previous products, but you've let me (and others) down on the T7. Please fix it and make sure it works before you loose all the credit you have in the FS community.RegardsChrisPS: and before somebody points the finger at my possible lack of know-how and experience: I sim since 1997, I successfully fly *ALL* major payware planes (737s, 747s, 767, Airbusses, ERJ, Beaver, ATR, etc), so it's not that I've come to my conclusion out of sheer ignorance. I know what I am doing.

Well the T7 is certainly not perfect, as they are promising to produce a patch, but I think erasing your hard drive is somewhat drastic.The issue with missing letters and numbers for example indicates missing fonts, which may have been lost along with some other important files when you erased your hard drive. I think this point is mentioned in one of the threads.I much prefer doing a system restore to an earlier time as I've had problems in the past with addons, both aircraft and scenery.Erasing the hard drive is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so I know its frustrating, but you cannot always blame the developer for things that are beyond their control. Most people have had the T7 work OK apart from the known bugs. I can accept some imperfections on a temporary basis, and most of my complaints have been addressed or I was doing something wrong which when I asked for advice on this forum was answered.Ron

Ron Service

Guest NormanB

Chris,Drop me an email. If you have no displays its a font issue and one that is easily fixed.The boxed version is the same as currently available. Please note that PSS don't box it - thats a seperate company who package commercial downloads from many add on developers.The patch will be available here (or more correctly on our website) before the publisher gets it. They then have to incorporate it into their install routine.You mention other developers. I know for fact that the boxed version of another very popular Boeing aircraft is without the patches applied to their online customers since it was on the shelves before a patch was available; not unlike our own will be.In regards letting you down Chris - I know when you get the patch (and its soon) you will be happy once again.

Guest ronh98

NOTHING WRONGI too have had most of the planes and the 777 is the best yet in terms of being trouble free. I suspect that it is much more closely based on the FS9 stock plane than has been the case with other planesJust because one has been a simmer since the beginning of time does not mean that the problem is with PSSWe seem to living in a totally new world in terms of computer operating systems. After you add in directx, all of the drivers, the base operating system, op system upgrades, FS9, addon FS programs, FSUIP, etc, etc there is just a bewildering number of potential problem areas. I doubt that very few people have a full understanding of how this stuff all interacts. I have heard stories of people who could not fly their planes because of something as mundane as spyware Did you make any other system changes either at or immediately following the install of the 777, new software, hardware, etc etc? Even though you did a complete new install you might be just re-installing the problem.I would remove everything and jsut re-install FS9. Update directx and all of the drivers. Test the stock FS9 planes and then try the 777 and only the 777. Try and stip out everything that you do not need.Download all of the Windows fixesShutdown the Internet connection and all of the anti virus stuffUse msconfig to block the start up of every program that is not required by the operating system.Slow down the frame rates and the sound acceleration It is probable that the 777 is demanding the max CPU load at or just about the time you are landing.Memory CPU and Video should not be a problem as the other planes work ok See if you can get the plane to fly peoperly with a completly stripped out system. Then slowly add back until you find the culprit. Hi Norman and team,>>I try to write this as calmly as possible, although I am>really frustrated by my recent PSS experience(s).>>Just as a background: I've owned the FS2002 744 and 777, all>the Airbusses and the Dash - and I love(d) them all, and still>enjoy my Airbusses and Dash very much in FS2004.>>Therefore I didn't hesitate a single second when the>opportunity existed to pre-purchase the new 777. I did so, and>also bought the full livery pack right away. OK, not a small>sum of money there for something not even released, but then I>always had full trust in PSS. >>But then: like so many other people I had the problem of the>777 doing a rodeo on ILS. OK, not a big issue. So I tried all>the fixes and solutions posted on this forum. Didn't help. OK,>still not a big issue. So I completely de-installed FS, erased>my entire HD, re-installed everything. OK, happy to do that to>really make sure it's not my system or myself that causes the>problems. Re-installation: very frustrating! Downloads>interrupted all the time, it's only after Norman very kindly>made a special download file available for me that>installation worked. But: the plane still didn't fly properly.>Less OK now... De-installed everything again, tried Norman's>load editor and fuel planner to get CoG settings right. T7>still behaving like a drunken boy. Less and less OK.... Then>the new installer with the load editor and fuel planner was>made publicly available, so I de-installed again,>re-installed. And now: the panel is completely screwed. I see>all the gauges WITHOUT any letters or numbers. Just the>background colours. Now that is no longer OK. Tried several>more de-installs and re-installs, but the problem persists.>>I hope you guys appreciate that I really tried all possible>solutions and fixes, and I was really patient with this. And>don't belong to the group of people that see a minor issue and>then start shouting abuse and refund all over the forums. But>having said that, I've come to the conclusion that this>product is still flawed.>>So I was shocked to see that the boxed version is put on sale.>Other developers (no names here) only make the boxed version>of their products available when they and their customers are>sure that the version that is out there (and that has been>patched BTW) is one that works. >>So, dear PSS team, I still owe you many many thanks for the>many hours of wonderful simming I've had thanks to your>previous products, but you've let me (and others) down on the>T7. Please fix it and make sure it works before you loose all>the credit you have in the FS community.>>Regards>>Chris>>>PS: and before somebody points the finger at my possible lack>of know-how and experience: I sim since 1997, I successfully>fly *ALL* major payware planes (737s, 747s, 767, Airbusses,>ERJ, Beaver, ATR, etc), so it's not that I've come to my>conclusion out of sheer ignorance. I know what I am doing.

RonnieCheck out some of the previous threads. Many of us have done as you suggest several weeks ago. We are very happy to wait for the patch - but it is needed.John R

>Chris,>>Drop me an email. If you have no displays its a font issue>and one that is easily fixed.Norman,Thanks for the kind offer. I am now away from my FS for some 3 weeks, but I'll come back on that once I am back (if still needed by then... patch?)>You mention other developers. I know for fact that the boxed>version of another very popular Boeing aircraft is without the>patches applied to their online customers since it was on the>shelves before a patch was available; not unlike our own will>be.OK, then I have to correct my statement. I was thinking of one developer of a narrowbody Boeing model that has posted a statement on its forum that they now (i.e. after 2 patches) they feel that their product is stable and that it will be this version which will be used for the boxed version. A good practice I find.>>In regards letting you down Chris - I know when you get the>patch (and its soon) you will be happy once again.>I trust I will be... it's only the mean time that has been very frustrating. But I am sure you understand that...Thanks + good luck with the patch!Chris

Guest ronh98

Well; ok members have undertaken an exhaustive analysis of the problem to the point that it is pretty conclusive that there is a problem. Not everyone is having the problem so the jury is still out as to what is causing it. PSS must know what it is if they have a patch; on the other hand they might be just providing a work around for certain problematic software/hardware issues. I do agree that there is a history of releasing products that seem not to have been thoroughly tested.The point that I continue to make is that Microsoft need to take the axe to the whole complex issues of how the various parts interact. You could argue that the average owner does not need to know all this stuff. Well fine! then make the product bulletproof. For too long we have been left in a fix it yourself mode.Considering the long list of interactive hardware software is it any wonder that there are problems. FS9, Base operating system, directx, PSS add on, FSUIPC, add on video drivers, sound card drivers, and then add in things like the Internet connection for weather download, add on weather programs, and on and on it goes. Anyway PSS should just let us all know what the problem is

Guest jboweruk

Unfortunately unlike the days of say the old Amiga Computers where everything was standard and bugged software was rare to say the least, what we have with PC's is almost as many configurations as owners, as you can imagine this makes any software or add-on very hard to test. What you also have to remember is that if mega-corporations like EA can release a game then need patches ad infinitum with all their size, what must it be like for guys like PSS and others who are nowhere near that size. I know they must seem quite large from their presence on the net etc. But I'm sure PSS are still quite a small band of guys trying to please quite a few ppl. I'm no employee or anything, and buy from nearly all the FS Devs, but I can see the problems they must face. They all try hard to get it right, but inevitably some things are going to slip through the net, and thankfully we are in a community where it quickly gets picked up, probably more so than full commercial games, and is rectified just as soon as the developers can do so.If I've learned anything in the last couple of years (I did sim before FS9 but only really flew like I do now since then) it's patience, and a lot of it.

Today I am just back from a two week holiday in Africa with no computer access (what a relaxing experience that is......!). Of course I was expecting the PSS patch to be ready for download on my return. How wrong I was.Still the same old crap in the forum and no patch release date announced. I for my part have enough and I call it a day.The 777 has definitely been my first and last purchase from PSS. I have now even deleted their website from my favorites folder.Regards from a very disappointed customer,Roland

Guest Phoenix 1

With no indication of what your specific problems are ?Thanks for the opportunity to put it right ..

Hello,with 3 months passing and not much information of what is being fixed and why it is taking up that much effort, I can understand voices of frustration of people who were used to and expect something quite different. Even though the expected fix date is nearing. Why not, for example, fix TCAS in a timely fashion, so people can safely fly online. The list of items I wrote up way back then can be found by a simple search.I can no longer justify to myself having pre-purchased the B777.p.s. Publicly criticizing customers seems an odd way of doing business. It is not the contents but rather the style, quoted below.>With no indication of what your specific problems are ?>>Thanks for the opportunity to put it right .. >>

Guest beavhow320

hey everybody,it seems the problem is a general one...i had the same kind of problem, and i'm still unable to fix it...i mailed PSS and i'm still waiting for the answer, hoping i won't have purshased this fabulous 777 for NOTHING.in fact, the problem seems to be from the registration key, that make the addon and FS crash when started... it happens each time you install the pss777, and stops as soon as it is de-installed...hope will soon be able to fly again with it.best regards and nice flightsguillaume

Guest NormanB

Opher,I would be the first to take issue with any member of the team right up to the boss. My take of what he said could perhaps be better written (to cross language barriers) as:"PSS thank our customers for their patience and the opportunity to rectify the issues raised. Sometimes we get posts which don't specify the problem and these make troubleshooting more difficult"In regards to your request for TCAS, this follows on from what I have previously mentioned. To many users who dont fly online they see no issues in that regard and would be upset that it took precedence over something that affected them personally. I also said we were not in the business of making micro patches, preferring to make one that encompassed the points raised.Uncompressed our gauge exceeds 64MB - thats a whole lot of downloading for our customers every few days and of course can introduce other issues.Thanks,

Thanks Norman for your considerate response.>Opher,>>I would be the first to take issue with any member of the team>right up to the boss. >>My take of what he said could perhaps be better written (to>cross language barriers) as:>>"PSS thank our customers for their patience and the>opportunity to rectify the issues raised. Sometimes we get>posts which don't specify the problem and these make>troubleshooting more difficult">>In regards to your request for TCAS, this follows on from what>I have previously mentioned. To many users who dont fly>online they see no issues in that regard and would be upset>that it took precedence over something that affected them>personally. I also said we were not in the business of making>micro patches, preferring to make one that encompassed the>points raised.>>Uncompressed our gauge exceeds 64MB - thats a whole lot of>downloading for our customers every few days and of course can>introduce other issues.>>Thanks,>

Guest NormanB

>Thanks Norman for your considerate response.>>>Opher,Any time Opher.