Sign in to follow this  
fabio777

777 won't tune ILS. Frustrating....

Hi all:Here is what I have done so far:1. Read quite a few threads regarding this issue. I have set my Cessna as my default FS load aircraft with all combination of avionics and battery (etc..) switch settings prior to loading the 777. 2. I was remaining in the KORD area, performing the following flight:KORD/KORDLegs: OBK, and the Willa. Upon heading to WILLA, I select the ARR/DEP, and selected 27R for landing. I then went to the NAV/RAD page and verified the frequency (110.5). I saw it was PARKED, and then I clicked twice on the LSK. This seemed to turn the tuning to manual (m next to the freq.).Basically the ILS won't tune. I repeated this several times with different intercept angles to no avail. I also selected 27L, also without any luck.I then tought that the KORD/KORD was throwing the CDU off, so I performed the following flight:KORD/KGRRLegs: OBK, GRRDeparted 32L, and selected 8R as the landing runway at KGRR. I came in pretty much on a long straight in (>40 miles), and same thing, the ILS won't tune, even though the frequency is correct.At this point, I am not sure what else to try. This is reminding me of the problem I had with the Concorde where I couldn't tune radios after 10 minutes into flight prep or taxiing. It has been in the hangar ever since.Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.PSS, is this considered a bug at this point? I didn't see it mentioned in any "sticky" posts.Thanks.Fabio van Roon

I don't see you mentioning selecting LOC and then APP once the localiser is intercepted?Also, if the correct ILS freq shows in NAV RAD it will auto activate, there is no need to manual select it, although this would not stop it functioning.

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest NormanB

Hi Fabio,At the risk of making a "it worked fine here" type post, both Steve and I started FS with our planes on 27R and 27L respectively.Whilst my piloting (as always) can be questioned, we had no issues with the ILS. I took a number of screenshots throughout the quick route you described, and had the ILS autotune when approaching WILLA allbeit as I passed overhead WILLA in a tight turn to the right it parked again momentarily. Steve found a similar occurrence heading out past WILLA.Once inbound the ILS automatically retuned, allowing both aircraft to follow the glide and display LAND3. My intercept angle was getting close to 90 degrees to make the system work to its maximum. As another poster has asked, did you utilise the LOC and APP buttons at all?

Norman and Mervyn:Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, I don't have an ILS signal to follow (no "needles"). Even without the signal, I tried to hit the LOC and eventually the APP buttons without any luck. Also, I tried to manually set the frequencies since it was not auto-tuning. I will take a few screenshots tonight an post them. I am sure it must be "user error" at this point.Norman, what are your FS default startup plane settings?Thanks again,Fabio

r u 1000% certain you are starting with the cessna ... engine OFF, avionics ON and BATTERY switches (2 of em) ON? This is the magic start sequence for FS2004 in order to make the ILS and VOR on the T7 function correctly (and I HOPE this will be fixed in the patch!!!!)If not you will get no ILS or VORcheers,Paul BenoitKSAN

Hi Paul:That did it! I had the avionics button on, but not the battery in my default Cessna startup plane. I thought I had tried that combination, but I guess I had missed it.Thanks for your help.Fabio

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.