Sign in to follow this  
Guest UAL2394

ILS approaches and the FMC

Guest UAL2394

I have airac 0513 and the terminal proceedures installed but I have not seen any ILS indicator on the approach pages for any runways so when I use autoland the plane wants to turn on the runway imediately after touchdown since the threshold is the last point on the FMC flightplan (no go around waypoints etc.) Please help.RayUAL2394

Guest NormanB

Ray,Are you setting the runway in the APP page of the CDU?

Guest UAL2394

Norman, Yes I am. My question is I do not see any runways with an ILS indicated on the approach page,just the runway numbers and after completing a flight plan it always ends at the threshold of the approach runway with no go around proceedures or waypoints and thus my plane wants to turn 180 degrees imediately after touchdown. I reference page 20 of the FMC MANUAL (LAST PARAGRAPH) "APPROACHES"Ray

Guest NormanB

Ray,When you started FS did you do so from a default flight with avionics and master turned on?

NormanI realised that I had not picked this up; I suspect as I always plan into a runway that I know has an ILS. But, just checked several routes including the tutorial and all I see are STAR on the left and a list of all runways on the right with no indication of the approach aid. Also tried it on a second system with the same result. Exactly the same indications as Ray.John R

Guest Phoenix5

Hi John,Once you have selected your runway and arrival, the transition waypoint is then displayed.For example arrival into Melbourne (YMML) runway 16 Arbey 2 arrival with a Canty transition, I would select rwy 16 on the right side, Arbey 2 on the left side which would then display the transitions for that approach from which I then select Canty.I hope this helps

StevenAppreciate how STAR and Transitions are entered but this was not Ray's point. On his system [and mine] the CDU departure page only shows the STAR

and runways

- it does not identify which runways have an ILS etcShould it?John R

Guest NormanB

John (with apologies to Ray for missing the pertinent part of his request),I spoke with the guy who programmed the gauges on the 777. The PSS database, which is used across our whole product range and supported in a number of other addons, doesn't use or have approaches and thus can't have for example LOC34L approach. What can be done though is to append the "ILS" to the approaches to runways that have ILS - this was the way it was on our 747. It does of course show that the 777 was coded from scratch! With the patch it will most probably show all runways of adequate length and identify whether the runway has an ILS or not.For example: * ILS27L* ILS27R* 09L* 09R

Guest FlyinJ

Thanks, Norman!Jeff

Guest UAL2394

OK, Glad to know we are all on the same page. My question now is... How do you append ILS to the approaches and what good would would it do ? Thanks to all who have replied.Ray

Guest FlyinJ

Ray,My guess is that "ILS" will start showing up just to the left of the runway numbers (e.g. ILS28R). How it will be implemented is something for the PSS programming staff to work out.Jeff

Guest UAL2394

Any guess on how long we will have to wait for the update to be available?Ray

Guest FlyinJ

Ray,Check the thread titled "Patch". But keep in mind that PSS, like most software companies, will not commit to a release date for the upcoming patch.Jeff

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.