Sign in to follow this  
FOD

Missed Approach Procedure?

Has anyone looked at the missed approach from an auto-ILS in the T7. Other than disconnecting autopilot and flying in full manual I cannot see any other way. Also, if I disconnect the AP and then try to re-connect when I get to a safe height, the engage button will not light.If anyone has the correct procedure - very grateful for a short brief.Many ThanksJohn R

Guest FlyinJ

Hi John,Does the FMC include the waypoints for the missed approach? Are these depicted on the ND?Jeff

Hi Jeff,No - I had not even got that far. I was initially just trying to see if the AP could carry out a safe climb away from DH. In fact I have found that the FD Switch controls the autopilot - I have no idea why. If you try to fly a missed approach on AP [as far as I can see], you have to:1. Right click on the AT switches - ok that selects go around.2. Disengage AP [if you don't, the aircraft continues to fly the ILS but with speed increasing as the engines wind up to full power]. The aircraft then flies a pre-programmed climb away, holding last heading.3. Switch off FD [if you don't, even when you re-engage the autopilot, it remains in APP mode]4. Switch on FD5. Re-engage autopilot - you can now control hdg and alt thro the AP as normal.I am sure it cannot be so complicated - which is why I asked if anyone knew the correct procedure.As to the FMC, I always get a message on touchdown that the route has cleared - I guess that I must try manually inserting the misses approach waypoints.As always, very interesting!John

Guest FlyinJ

You know... I just thought of something, John. In the other thread regarding the missing "ILS" text next to the runway numbers in the FMC (http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=224&topic_id=8936&mesg_id=8936&page=), Ray mentions that there is no waypoint beyond the approach end of the runway and that his autopilot is trying to turn the airplane back towards the last waypoint after touching down. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem everyone is currently experiencing. I would think that with the LOC indicator lit up, that the AP would be trying to stay centered on the signal coming from the localizer antenna located at the far (departure) end of the runway on which we have just landed. It is almost as though the AP is, in fact, still coupled to the Runway waypoint at the approach end of the runway. Just thinking out loud.Jeffp.s. this reply might be better suited in the "Sliding" thread.

Yes I see the logic - but on every approach that I have tried, the LOC indicator goes out as the wheels touchdown.By the way - you can then re-select LOC and it lights up and the aircraft tries to stay on the centreline using some very odd aileron inputs [but no rudder].The plot thickens.John R

Guest FlyinJ

I tried that (re-engaging the LOC button, that is). Made things worse. :(Jeff

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.