Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jamesrw2002

possible gripe... need some insight on this one... heh

Guest Jamesrw2002

I've been flying FS since FS5.0a heh... and I have NEVER had this happen to me... on a long haul flight from KBOS-EDDF in the PSS 777-300 I lost Indicated Airspeed at 5000 feet and 30nm out of EDDF. Weather was broken at 4 with tops around 7500 so I was going through them. Suddenly Airspeed just dropped to nil, I got airspeed alerts, and autothrottles tried to to max the throttles out.. kinda freaked me out.. but realized I wasnt falling out of the sky as GS was reading fine. so I continued my flight and approach with TAS and GS reading. I dont have any failures on in FS to my knowledge... does this just sound like a glitch?also.. are PITOT heaters automatic on the 777? I havent been able to find a switch for one so I'm assuming so.Thanks a bunchJames

Hi JamesI also had this problem, and a deeper search in the forum came up with this previous post and it worked for me.This is a cut and paste from a previous poster named MattHi, I've enjoyed flying this acft during the past few weeks. Well done PSS. I've had problems with pitot icing. It's the usual pitot icing symptom - a sudden drop off to zero of the airspeed indicator, followed by spooling up of the engines by the autothrottle trying to compensate. I've not been able to find a toggle, button or anything else to stop the pitots icing up and whenever it happens I use SHIFT-H (PITOT HEAT ON) and it clears within seconds. Am I not seeing an obvious button or is the automatic pitot heating not working?kind regardsMattSo thanks Matt for a solutionregardsJohn CallejaBAW352

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest Jamesrw2002

Wow thanks, It never really even dawned on me to try SHIFT-H...Thanks a bunch :)James

I thought that anti icing functions in the glass cockpit era were automatic, or is this something else that needs to be addressed in the patch?Ron

Ron Service

Guest NormanB

I've been in known icing conditions in the 777 a number of times and not seen this. I will however check and if need flag it up for the gauge guys.

I think it is an FS problem, I had my airspeed drop to 0 too, but with the CLS A300-600 in icing coditions.

Guest FlyinJ

James,Make sure the Wing and Engine Anti-Ice switches on the overhead panel are set to "Auto" so that when icing conditions are present, the Anti-Ice system automatically comes on. Although I haven't tried a flight without them in that position, I imagine if they are in the "Off" position, you may encounter what you described.Jeff

Guest Jamesrw2002

everything was in Auto or On :) Always is :)James

Guest t288msd

Norman, Just for info. I, too, get this problem every now and then. It just happened now. At a low cruise level over some towering cumulus and suddenly the IAS drops to zero and the warnings start sounding. I pressed SHIFT+H and all is well within seconds. Works a treat every time, but shouldn't be required. Leave it with you.Matt D

Guest NormanB

Thanks Matt. I will pass it back to the devs.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.