Sign in to follow this  
cat

ideal distance

If I'm approaching in the 777 Pro(for FS2004)at 2000', what is ideal distance nm from the airport, to press LOC?Appreciate any advice.Peter Sydney Australia

Assuming you have the arrival runway frequency set on the FMC and active, (unparked), I set the LOC button on just prior to intercept. The distance and altitude may vary depending on the airport, but if you are following the FMC plan for the designated runway you should be at the correct angle and altitude for intercept. If you are using autoland, after intercept, you can set APP after LOC is captured,or for manual landing disconnect A/P after LOC capture, at least thats how I do it.Ron

Ron Service

Guest FlyinJ

Peter.As Ron mentioned, you want to be on the correct intercept angle (approximately 20-30 degrees) to the runway on which you intend to land before pressing the LOC button. ATC (both in real life and FS) will attempt to bring you in at a 30 degree intercept angle. In addition, you'll want to make sure the localizer signal is being recieved prior to arming the LOC button since doing so prior to receiving the localizer signal can cause unwanted results. Same holds true for the glide slope signal and APP button. In the real world, the typical localizer signal is guaranteed good up to 18nm from the antenna (located at the far end of the runway) and the glide slope signal is guaranteed good up to 10nm from the antenna (located about 1000' from the runway threshold). Both signal distances appear to be replicated correctly in FS.Jeff

Thanks Jeff & Ron. I've flown the PSS 747 for years & am in theprocess of adapting to the 777 Pro. I think the FMC is set upOK. Your infos are exactly what I needed. I personally find thislatest 777, absolutely superb for my particular needs, beautifulgauge zoom, no shocks in frame rates, fab. weather radar; I can useit with VFR scenery, nice VC & not overly hard to learn.Can't wait for FSX & then the PSS new stuff.Thanks for your very kind & helpful responses.Peter Sydney Australia

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.