Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot53

Patch Status

Guest Pilot53

So hows this patch coming? Its been some time since the last update which led me to beleive it was nearing completion, I thought it would have been in the upload stage by now._______________________________Mike IacovettaEdited to give the thread a title

Fri Jan-20-06 08:37 AM"I know when you get the patch (and its soon) you will be happy once again." - NormanBSat Jan-28-06 04:16 PM"Our patch will be available soon. Very soon." - NormanBMon Feb-06-06 05:27 PM"I don't have a date except to say we are in the 11th hour." - NormanBTue Feb-14-06 03:52 AM"Over the next few days I hope (but cant promise) to give more feedback on the patch." - NormanB...and so on, and so on...these are but a few examples.Now understand, Norman, I want PSS to take as long as you/they feel is neccessary to finish the job; you'll notice this is my first post since shortly after release.Having said that, can you not see how your own words have helped create the very situation you claim to be trying to avoid ?You say "PSS will not commit to a specific date..." etc., but in essence, you have with the word soon. While certainly not identifiable on any calendar, "soon" certainly has an expectation attatched to it, and to compound matters even more, that expectation is entirely subjective. You must realize this at the very least.Now personally, I wish you to take as much time as needed, as I said above. Yet again, having said that, I can understand some of the frustration felt, specifically in regards to your comments, as my only frustration with the 777 stem not from it's current state, or even the inavailability of the patch, but instead from your use of the word "soon".There is no need for you to share anything, with any of us, other than the fact that you are indeed working on a solution. I would suggest most sincerely that you leave it at that in the future.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest Pilot53

Theres no problem with giving answers such as "soon", as it makes the people less tense. But the problem is if you say it will be soon, it must actually be soon. When a movie is scheduled for release it must be ready at an exact date and this date is set months before. Giving release dates is a professional practice, its just unprofessional to not be able to stick to them. This patch better be out of this world if its taking this long.______________________Mike Iacovetta

"Theres no problem with giving answers such as "soon", as it makes the people less tense."I actually disagree quite strongly here, and would suggest that recent posts in this very forum provide evidence to that end."But the problem is if you say it will be soon, it must actually be soon."And therein lies the rub, an exact date will never be able to be given much more than a few days in advance, with this sort of development."When a movie is scheduled for release it must be ready at an exact date and this date is set months before."I don't particularly find this to be a valid comparison, as the scale of the two things you are comparing are vastly out of proportion with one another.I guess the point is, if you say it, do it; if you can't do it, then don't say it. If, as we've all heard ad nauseum, the FS development process is such that accurate predictions cannot be made, then quite simply don't make them. The argument could be made that "soon" is not a prediction, but, I'd have to say that it is. Norman himself has referenced PMDG on more than one occasion, citing their preference to release one patch instead of many, etc. Well, PMDG also remains about as tight-lipped in regards to project status as anyone I've ever seen, and in my opinion, that has served them well. Here is an absolutely wonderful example of how to diffuse a situation such as this before it even develops, from another developer that also likes to keep the lid on tight:http://leveldsim.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=9551&PN=1Leaves nothing to wonder, in my opinion.

Regards,

Brian Doney

Guest NormanB

I agree Brian,I chortled when I first saw the post you linked. It seems to have a few extra dates since I last looked.Whilst my own FS PC is out of action (it appears to be CPU or motherboard related since replacing everything else had no effect) all that has happened is that *I* havent been able to test the past couple of days.To clarify then, as of 19 Feb 2006 - Work continues. NFTR.

"It seems to have a few extra dates since I last looked."Yes, the list is updated weekly. ;-)

Regards,

Brian Doney

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.