Sign in to follow this  
Guest skylanepilot

Setting propller RPM in high altitudes

Guest skylanepilot

Scanned in the performance charts for the 182 (including the incredibly useful Temperature Conversion Chart! ;)). You can find them at http://www.skylanepilot.net/msfs/html/SkylanePerf.htmJust so that we're clear ... None of you guys should ever attempt to take off in a '75 Skylane running on 5 jugs with auto gas in tanks from a 500' strip at 8000' MSL in the Rockies based on anything that might be published in these docs!!! These are for fun & games & sims only!Happy Flyin':-beerchug

Guest skylanepilot

GPH = Gallons Per Hour (fuel flow)

I have question. Is the checklist MS provided correct? Specifically in the cruise clime configuration. They show 23" and 2400 RPM at 85-95 kts, but at this setting it barely climbs at 500fpm.

Guest skylanepilot

It is the published setting for "normal" climb (see the time-to-climb charts from the link above), however I find the sim's climb performance a bit anemic compared to the real thing. They've obviously modeled the 182 at gross weight, which doesn't help.There is also a max climb chart, which indicates a full throttle climb. The Lycoming IO-540 is rated at 230 hp in this application, but the same basic engine has variants up to 300 hp, so while full throttle climb is going to put more stress on things, it is well within the capabilities of the engine and approved for the airplane. (just pay attention to the CHT's on a hot day)I usually use full throttle to 1000' AGL, then pull back to 25"/2400 and 90-100 kts for cruise climb. With 2 on board and full fuel I'll usually see 900-1000 fpm through 3000' and 750 fpm up to 7000'-8000'.