Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boogie

Autoland Prerequisites

Guest Boogie

I recently purchased the 777 and want to practice autolands without having to go through a long flight, such as in the tutorial. Can anyone tell me what are the essential prerequisites for an autoland in the 777, i.e. basic required steps only.Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it in the manual (which goes into far more detail), or via a search of this forum.Thanks,John Bolch.

Guest NormanB

John,The easiest way is to have the aircraft on descent and save the flight.You will then be able to load that flight and fly it to the ground, resetting things to run through it again and again.

Guest Boogie

Thanks, but what exactly do I have to reset to ensure an autoland? I'm thinking in particular in the FMC - do I need an active route? If not, then presumably I have to input the runway and flap setting on the Approach page. What else do I have to set? Does the ILS tune automatically from the runway information?Regards,John.

I would at least study the tutorial, with respect to programming the FMC. I'm like you, I don't particularly like long flights, and find landings the most fun.Once you understand the basics, you can create a short "loop" trip to and from your favourite airport on the FMC, and then if you just want to do the approach and landing, then save that portion of the flight as Norman suggested. So, yes the ILS needs to be known by the FMC,therefore it has to know the arrival runway, so that it can use the correct frequency for the runway.There really is no substitute for reading the tutorial and practicing the areas that interest you. Hope this helpsRon

Ron Service

Guest Boogie

Thanks. I have run through the tutorial several times, I'm just not sure what is absolutely required to make autoland work. I'll try it just with the runway/flap details set, and see what happens.John.

Guest iosonogio

>John,>>The easiest way is to have the aircraft on descent and save>the flight.>>You will then be able to load that flight and fly it to the>ground, resetting things to run through it again and again.would it work even though current released version of 777 doesnt save flight status, including FMC status ?would you need to reload data into the FMC ?thanksiosonogio

Guest FlyinJ

John,From what I can tell, here is the quickest and easiest way to perform and autoland without having to fly too far:1) Set your total fuel to 15%. This will ensure the T7 is below it's max gross landing weight.2) At minimum, you'll want to program the FMS so it knows your current position and weight. If you choose to skip the other FMS parameters, you can still hand-fly the plane, but you won't have any V-speeds showing up on the PFD.3) Once in level flight, select a Heading and Speed on the MCP and engage the Autopilot's HDG and SPD modes. 4) Tune in the LOC frequency of your desired landing runway on the Nav 1 radio.5) Set yourself up to intercept the localizer at a 30 degree intercept angle.6) When you see the LOC and GS needles appear on the PFD, press the APP button. The AP should intercept and track the ILS.7) Configure your T7 for landing (I'll assume you know the proper flap application speeds).8) If you haven't used the FMS to obtain the proper landing speed, there are no guarantees as to the stability of the approach since it's the FMS which helps determine the proper speeds.9) At approx 1500 feet AGL, you should see LAND 3 appear just above the AI on the PFD.10) Sit back and watch her land.Jeff

Guest Boogie

Thanks very much Jeff, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it tonight if I can.Boogie.

Guest Boogie

Jeff, just tried your method. She autolanded OK, but flared into a nose-up attitude, almost causing a tailstrike on landing. Am I doing something wrong?John.

Guest FlyinJ

John,Can't say I'm surprised about the nose high landing. My guess is this was the result of incorrect Weight and Balance and/or too low of a landing speed. The folks at PSS did a pretty darn good job at modeling their T7 to fly like the real thing (despite the few bugs that the much anticipated patch will address). What this means is, you really need to perform the necessary pre-flight steps in order to ensure the T7 is configured correctly. So, before starting FS, you'll want to use the Load Edit tool PSS provided (available from their website) to modify the T7's aircraft.cfg file. Note the amount of fuel (in Lbs) you added and the CoG(%MAC) displayed (bottom of the screen). These two figures will need to be entered into the FMS in order for the aircraft's computers to calculate the proper speeds for flight. After you've entered the data into the FMS, the T7 will then be able to display the proper Vref speed bug on the speed tape for landing. In case you weren't aware of it, the Vref speed for landing is obtained by pressing the INIT REF button (top left) on the CDU to bring up the Approach Ref page and then selecting the desired FLAPS and VREF combination for your landing. The Approach Ref page is also available under the INDEX page.I realize doing the above is probably a little more work than you would like, but it will help yeild the best performance results.Short of doing the above, try a landing speed which is 10 kts faster than your previous attempt.Jeff

Guest Boogie

Thanks again Jeff. I did actually do all of the things that you suggested. However, next time I will try 10 kts faster.John.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.