Sign in to follow this  
Guest brianlr

Why not have PSS paints on other sites?

Guest brianlr

Hi NormanI am glad to hear that the user edits page is to be upgraded ... having miniature jpg of the downloads will make them much easier to view and assess. I am certain that will be good news to both repainters and to those who wish to download.However, why not have PSS repaints on other websites such as flightsim.com and avsim.com? Surely the benefit of having PSS liveries on those and other sites as well would be the free advertising for PSS aircraft resulting from the paints being there for all to see? This benefit may be more significant than ensuring all repaints are on one site - most repainters would surely upload both to PSS and the site of their choice? I know that is what I would be doing. Then simmers who regularly visit those large flight sim sites who never visit PSS would be seeing first hand the range of livery options that are available for your excellent aircraft and possibly be motivated to purchase them?There are hundreds of people who have downloaded each of my Eaglesoft and Level-D repaints - who knows, some of them may not have been owners until they saw a livery that they wanted to fly!Might be food for thought ...?!Regards,Brian

Guest NormanB

Brian,I have answered this a number of times previously however the thinking is quite simple.I drive a . Its a great car. I love it. Sometimes however I need to make repairs or add things to it.In the car world I have a choice, and this is usually cost driven. I can either go to the dealership or I can shop around for a store that carries spares for a number of different makes. This is the closest real life similarity I can make in regards your suggestion.The issue though is I may have to look around a number of these stores before I find the part (repaint) that I want. Does such a part (repaint) even exists? I could search and search to no avail since my favourite multipart stores (file libraries) don't have it in stock. A trip down to the dealership where I bought my car though will almost certainly be successful since you would naturally expect them to have whatever you want for something you bought from them.The same is true in the repaint world. Who is to say that I ever search the library that you mention? Can you upload it to them all, or do indeed you know of them all? With them all in one place (at the dealership) it makes the most sense. Allow me if I may to turn the table a little. What benefit is there in having it available at a number of multipart stores, especially given that the price will be the same both there and at the dealership? ;)

Come on Norman surely the reason must be to stopthose who pirate your software from havingaccess to the repaints. Your convoluted reply makesno sense specially when you consider that most simmersuse AVSIM as their point of reference for downloads, etc.Finding any likely repaints would not be a problem.While I am at it, would really appreciate a replyto my posting in the Dash8 Forum concerning a queryre the CD version I purchased for FS2002 sometime ago.It seems other questions in the same forum have been answered while my posting ignored. Isn't the CD version of Dash 8your product although sold by Flight 1?

Guest NormanB

Joaquin,To answer your secondary query, whilst the Dash 8 is the same aircraft sold by F1 it is their product, their sale and therefore their support.In regard to you claims against piracy, no, that is completely untrue. Who is to say that AVSIM is the primary library? What of others such as surclaro and flightsim to name but two similar places.As it stands anybody can sign for a free account at PSS and that gives them access to the user edits. Hardly a measure against piracy!

I do apologise, as I wasn't aware anybody could have accessto the repaints without having first made a purchase.I have an account with your company but haven't used it forquite sometime. Once again I guess it proves how dangerousassumptions can be.Difficult for me to know the comercial terms between Flight1and yoruselves, but thanks for the reply, I guess I'll have tobuy the FS9 version.Trust you weren't offended by my earlier post based on myignorance.

Guest NormanB

Joaquin,It takes a whole lot more than that to offend me sir ;)

Guest brianlr

Hi NormanWith the greatest of respect, the thinking may be quite simple, but not everything simple is the best way of doing things! Perhaps this us why PSS policy is not used by many other FS aircraft producers, if any.I know there are limits to the comparison of a software product to a physical object such as a car, but to extend your car analogy a little further:i. if there was only one place in the world I could go to see advertising or collect brochures for that car, I would be unlikely to know much about it and even less likely to buy it;ii. if parts or accessories for that car were only advertised or sold at one place in the world, I would certainly never buy the car in the first place;iii. in reality when I want parts for my car I do shop around until I find the right part at the right price (usually not from the dealership!), and am used to doing so for all the appliances that I own;iv. in reality reading reports about cars in third party papers and magazines, seeing cars on the road or advertised in third party advertisements with attractive colours and useful accessories may inspire me (and recently did inspire me) to make my next car purchase that particular model and colour with those particular accessories ... I could go on.I really believe that PSS aircraft are fabulous and would benefit from new liveries being seen much more frequently on the major flight simulation websites alongside those for Level-D and PMDG, to name a couple. There are some extremely well-done liveries for those aircraft and they have been the reason for at least two of my recent purchases. As it is, about the only information I see on those sites relating to PSS is the occasional advertisement or news item about the release of aircraft, and those news items disappear from the front pages very quickly indeed. Why not permit PSS liveries to be uploaded there so that you have a more constant stream of free advertising done for you by enthusiastic owner/painters? What better advertising is there?!Regards,Brian

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.