Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot53

fmc problems

Guest Pilot53

Why wont the fmc let me insert lat/long waypoints such as 48N050W? And I cant edit the step climb eiher.

Guest NormanB

Mike,A guess is you are putting it in wrong. It goes in the exact same format as any other Boeing FMC.

hello,try 4850N instead of 48N50W, this is probably and certainly a NAT waypoint...Cyrille de LattreAsus P4P800/PIV 3 Ghz/2 Giga DDRAMATI X800 GT 256 MegWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 PSS Beta tester

Guest Pilot53

Yes I imported a plan that had them, I inputed some more in the exact format but they wouldnt work, Such as 48N050W.

Guest NormanB

Mike,Thats the wrong format though.Enter it in as 4850N - depending on which quadrant you are in will depend on which cardinal point you use.

Guest Pilot53

Oh, ok thank you, it works differenctly on all of my other boeing fmc's.

Guest NormanB

Strange that format works on:PMDGLevel DPS1Boeing :)

Guest Pilot53

Hmmm, odd I guess they accept both formats.

Guest Not 40W Again

Guys, I have replied on this one before and there seems to be a common misconception - apologies if I'm teaching Grandmother's to suck eggs but here goes. When FMC's first came out the nice people who designed them decided that rather than typing in the lat/lon of navaids and waypoints, as you had to with INS systems, they would design a database which would allow you to input a alphanumeric name which the FMC would then translate into a lat/lon for use in navigation. So instead of typing N5109.7E00121.5 you just put DVR for the DOVER VOR (as you can see it's much quicker!). They also, very kindly, made all major crossing points of lat/lon lines waypoints with names hence N4800.0W05000.0 is waypoint 4850N. When you type in 4850N you are not inputting lat/lon coordinates you are inputting a waypoint (note it complies with the 5 figure naming convention for waypoints ie WOBUN KOPUL TANET etc). If you want to input lat/lon coordinates they must be input as I have above N/SXXXX.XE/WXXXXX.X the FMC will then happily accept them. Hope that helps. Andy. PS Mike what problem did you have editing the step climb?

Thanks Andy that was something I did not know. I just figured I was shortening the lat/lon.

Guest Pilot53

I could not change the step climb altitude and when the plane reached the s/c waypoint it didnt start the climb even though a higher altitude was et in the mcp.

Guest adameke777

>I could not change the step climb altitude and when the plane>reached the s/c waypoint it didnt start the climb even though>a higher altitude was et in the mcp.Mike, did you go to VNAV CRZ page and tried entering your new altitude for CRZ ALT (LSK 1L) ?

Guest Phoenix5

Mike,The step climb is calculated by what is set in the FMC. The default is ICAO (4000), but I usually change this to 2000. When the aircraft approaches the s/c point I dial in the next alt, and at the proper time I press the alt select knob and the climb is initiated. This is how it works for all my newer aircraft regardless of developer.regards,

Also, instead of 48N050W Try N48W050But for the NAT tracks the 4850N is the best way to go.the other way for not-nat tracks ieS11E165 somewhere in the pacific ocean, maybe usefull for FLEX tracks such as the FANS routes the 744's take between KLAX and YSSY

Guest Diego

Ok, I had the same problem the other days, since I refered to a german manual, where it says put in the whole Data without any dots. So to clarify.I have the Fix N405010/W0740468 It is short of KWER.So is it 4074N or is it 40N074WThank you for helpingBest Diego

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.