Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

How to get Higher or Lower without FP cancelled

Not sure if anyone has ever posted this but yo can get (or shall I say give yourself) approved Higher or Lower altitude without having your flight plan cancelled by the default ATC in FS2K2. Heres what you do...when your ready to climb or decend wait til you get handed off. Acknowledge the handoff but don't check in with the next controller. You are now under VFR on top rules. You can switch to the next controller to listen for advisory and listen to hear for a/c that are at your alt and type being refered to as traffic to other a/c and then look around because that might be you but lets face it how many times have you actaully gotten that close to other a/c once your high up. You fly just like how you did on prior fs and when your ready to check in just remember that you will need to go back to the filed alt unless your to close to the arrival field in which you will be asked to decend. As you fly it will offer you other controllers to check in with without having to be handed off (keeps the controllers current lets say).So there you go, you know get change alt without being cancelled.Kilstorm

I don't think it's possible. Hopefully ATC in FS2004 will address this limitation.-Basil

Them real answer, without "fooling the controllers" isRADAR CONTACT 3.0I used MSFS ATC since 2002 appeared, many many flights ... but since RC 3.0 is available ... you now have all those things you wished you had .. available to you!!!descents when you want, step climbs when you want or when the FMC says to climb, alternate airports, diversions, choose your own r/w, shoot a STAR, fly a SID ... AND you can still have MSFS ATC chatter, RC chatter at the same time.Honestly .. it is ANOTHER WORLDI urge you to give it a try if you are really into ATC.

But don't you give up AI traffic with radar contact? I really think from what I've heard radar contact is the way to go but have stayed away from it mostly because I only fly the 172 or smaller a/c and have the ACP compact which uses alot of the open hotkeys. Everytime I add another appilcation it's always a headache to re configure the file. Kilstorm

1) get FSUPIC - latest version2) start up FS2002, create an IFR flight3) start flying4) select cancel IFR from ATC menu - confirm or step climb and wait till ATC cancels IFR flight5) press ALT-TAB to bring up menu, select FSUPIC6) select 'No reposition on plan load' - put an X in the box, in the technical tab. press ok7) press ALT-TAB to bring up menu select File -> Flight Plan8) go to the screen where you enter flight level - change it, select ok, save plan, exit.9) fs2002 should bring up ATC window and pick options to file IFR like you normally do when on the ground10) you should still be cruising in the air with a new IFR flight with a different flight level that you started with.This worked last night, when ATC cancelled my IFR flight. From step 5 onwards I was able to continue my original IFR flight i.e. I just reloaded the IFR flight I saved.I haven't tried this but, without ATC cancelling your IFR flight proceed to step 5. You should be able to re-file a new IFR flight while in the air.

Kilstorm, No you will NOT loose AI with Radar Contact. Although RC handles small/uncontrolled fields just fine, remember RC is striclty IFR.RC has it's own key assignment screen where you can tell RC what keys to use. This would be easier than messing with your file.

Hermit,O.k. I read most of the manual for R.C. What is still not clear to me since it might be one of those need to see to answer kind of thing let me ask a R.C. user. Since you don't loose AI does R.C. control the AI? How does it handle different runways for AI traffic? Does R.C. use the voices of FS or other voices? Does R.C. seperate you from AI when vectoring or holding you? Thanks in advanced.Kilstorm

Hi Kilstorm,>Since you >don't loose AI does R.C. control the AI?No. It is impossible for RC or any other add-on program to control the ai traffic. Microsoft has never released the information that would make this possible, and apparently they don't intend to.>How does it handle >different runways for AI traffic?RC cannot assign runways for ai traffic, but of course it will assign you a runway. However, the RC determines the active runway differently than fs atc, so you may end up being assigned a different runway than what the ai traffic is using. Sometimes this is not a problem, for example if ai traffic is landing and departing 28L and RC assigns you 28R. If there is a conflict, though, you can request any runway you like and RC will give it to you. When I'm getting ATIS I always listen to both RC ATIS and fs atc ATIS...that way I know if I need to request a different runway than what I've been assigned.>Does R.C. use the voices >of FS or other voices?It uses pre-recorded voices, not the fs voices.>Does R.C. seperate you from AI when >vectoring or holding you? Thanks in advanced. At this point, no, but it is being worked on, and as an RC beta tester I get to try it out. :) So far they have made a lot of progress on ground traffic awareness. This means that when you are holding short of a runway and ask RC for clearance to take off, RC will not clear you onto the runway if there is ai traffic either on the runway or on short final (4 miles or less). I think it will also detect ai traffic crossing the runway, but I haven't confirmed that yet. Also, when you are on short final RC will "watch" for ai traffic taxiing onto the runway. If it sees any, you will be told to go around...if not, you will be allowed to land. These features are still in beta and I have no idea when the update will be released, so please don't ask me. :) Once you're in the air, RC will alert you to ai traffic around you but will not vector you or the ai traffic.Hope this answers your questions.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDC

Yeah it does and thank you. One after thought question is since R.C. uses the same freq as the real world and so does FS and RC and FS both use numbers as response how is it that your not talking to both RC and FS when you push the 1 or 2 or 3 etc key? And to sum it up RC now with version 3 released allows for the user to have the same sim with all the default atc and ai doing everything as normal except RC provides a more realistic controller personized for the user? I mean I will see and hear everything I normally do (the ATC chatter will not just be a bunch of misc calls but the AI and the default ATC commincating like normal) plus I have the RC controller giving me ace calls and interaction?Kilstorm

>One after thought question is >since R.C. uses the same freq as the real world and so does >FS and RC and FS both use numbers as response how is it that >your not talking to both RC and FS when you push the 1 or 2 >or 3 etc key?Simple--just turn off the option to automatically display the fs atc window. If the window is not showing, fs atc will ignore any keystrokes. Basically you just monitor fs atc on com 2 and interact with RC on com 1. The drawback to this is that you have to manually tune the appropriate frequencies on com 2, unless you have a panel button that does it for you.>And to sum it up RC now with version 3 >released allows for the user to have the same sim with all >the default atc and ai doing everything as normal except RC >provides a more realistic controller personized for the >user?Yup. RC does not interfere with the default atc or ai traffic in any way.>I mean I will see and hear everything I normally do >(the ATC chatter will not just be a bunch of misc calls but >the AI and the default ATC commincating like normal) plus I >have the RC controller giving me ace calls and interaction? Still yup. :) You also have a couple of chatter options within RC: pre-recorded or generated. I don't use either, since I have plenty of ai traffic (MyTraffic) and the chatter from that is more than enough.Sidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDC