Sign in to follow this  
Guest obsolete_power

PSS Boeing 777-300ER VXr doesn't work!

I usually start the flight with the aircraft cold and dark. When I power up the systems the VXr is in the test mode so I get the colour test on the PFD. If I turn the knob from test to the normal operating mode with or without turbulence I have no visual indication of any weather present in the vicinity of the plane. Even if I change the weather to cloudy and turbulent the VXr doesn't seem to work. If I move the antenna up or down there is still no indication. I have no idea what is causing this. It seems to happen after I load the FMC. Can anyone help me out with this? I'd appreciate the help because I want to know what is coming up in terms of weather so I can adjust my waypoints. Thank you in advance!Vlad

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ooo, I can actualy write a post in PSS' defence! The wx radar does work but you need to remember two things. A, It will only show clouds with rain in them and certainly not winds or turbulance. Often, there are visable clouds but they are no 'wet enough' to show on the radar and therefore pose no threat anyway.B, You need to set the angle of the radar as well. If you're on the ground ready to take off, adjust the knob on the right to about +5 degrees. Likewise, if you're decending, you'll need to set it to a negative number to see what's ahead and below you on your flightpath.Simon.

Ahh ok gotcha. You are right, it does work. I didn't know that the turbulence setting does nothing and that is probably just as of now. I have no complaints because I love the way PSS have modeled this aircraft, which is the case for everything they make.

I'm not sure how accurately the Wx radar is modelled, but an indication of turbulence can be concluded from how quickly/abruptly the colours change i.e. how quickly it changes from yellow/green/red etc.

Hi!The turbulence mode does work,and how the real thing, it can only sort out turbulence in wet clouds because it can only measure the speed changes of the water particlesonly the windshear prediction does not need wet clouds, it may also wokrs mit dust and other particles in the air to find out wind shearsflorian

Vlad,To see both the turbulence and windshear indications, position your T7 on the runway and do the following:1) Select Major Thunderstorm in FS's weather themes menu2) Perform the POS INIT in the FMS3) Select 10 mile map range on ND using the MCP knob4) Ensure wx radar is in 'WX/TURB' mode 5) Ensure PWS switch is in 'Auto' positionNow sit back and watch the color show on the ND.Cheers,Jeff

Sign in to follow this