Sign in to follow this  
Guest AeroMan08

VNAV Problem!

Guest AeroMan08

I'm currently enroute from KORD to VIDP in my B772LR. I have my VNAV button pressed on my autopilot but when I try to climb, it descends! In my attempt to investigate why it's refusing to climb, I went into my VNAV page on my FMC and discovered that the ECON DES page is activated even though I'm thousands of miles away from my destination. My ECON CRZ isn't activated.....but it should be. Does anyone know how to activate the ECON CRZ page? Please help me ASAP! Thank you.Ryan Cummins-AAL101

Guest FlyinJ

Ryan,Check to ensure the CRZ ALT as seen in the PERF INIT page on the CDU is set to an altitude that is higher than your present altitude. Also check the LEGS page and make sure the next waypoint does not have an altitude restriction of some altitude lower than your present altitude.Jeff

Guest danielpercy

I have had this problem too - for some reason the aircraft wants to be @ 3000ft even though every page in the CDU had FL370 on it. There were no altitude restrictions on "legs" due for over 3000nm, and the MCP altitude was set to 37,000. The VNAV page on the CDU was stuck on ACT ECON DES also.The only way I could make the aircraft maintain altitude was to use FLCH and ALT HOLD. Moving from FLCH to VNAV resulted in an immediate descent back to low altitude.I managed to free up the problem somehow later in the flight (during the proper descent - had the aircraft holding @ 9000ft at LAM), but when setting the CDU up for the approach, I experienced the same sort of hang I sometimes get when altering the cost index, so wasn't able to test further.PSS - do you have any ideas/comments?Daniel Percy

Guest FlyinJ

Daniel,Very strange, indeed. My suggestion to Ryan was based purely on speculation. I haven't actually experienced the problem you two have, so I'm not sure what the cause is. I'll defer to PSS' expert opinion.Jeff

Guest britair

I had this problem when I accidentally lowered the flaps during a climb to cruise altitude (clumsy big fingers!!!!)the FMC changed to Econ Des mode & could only recover by using FLTCH & ALT Hold.!!!!:-doh

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.