Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Cannot engage or use Autothrottle/TOGA

Hi. I just tried a short test flight from EGNX to EGLL thisevening and am having big problems with the Autothrottle.I have followed the tutorial provided but when I come to takeoff I cannot engage the Autothrottle. I can and have armed thembut the yellow light does not come on on the A/T button and noTHR REF is displayed.I'm pertty sure I'm not doing anything wrong here.Any help at all on this is much appreciated.Thanks guys Andy S

Guest freelancer

Hi Andy,Please make sure you enter FS with default Cessna, switch Master Power on and Avionics on, then switch to PSS777, make sure you have entered all FMC info required, including VNAV and VSpeeds.Don't forget to enter Perf Init information that is right after the ROUTE page when you activate your route. You'll see it on the right lower corner of FMC display.When taking off: FD engaged, LNAV engaged, ATT on(check light) should be on 100% now.During takeoff: N1 40% TOGA (Right click on ATT) V2 Positive Climb above 400 feet Autopilot Command Above 1500 feet VNAV engage.Have a safe flight :)

Guest adameke777

>During takeoff: N1 40% TOGA (Right click on ATT) V2 Positive>Climb above 400 feet Autopilot Command Above 1500 feet VNAV>engage.Actually, the usual SOP is to arm LNAV and VNAV on the ground. This is also one of the positions on the electronic checklist.

Guest freelancer

Actually that depends on Airline and Captain :-)I also hear'd somewhere that it is highly not recommended to engage VNAV anywhere below 800 feet. But that was not about T7 for sure.Have not much real world flight data on T7. But hopefully will do after some research. :D

Hi.I will try starting out with the default Cessna.I'd completelyforgotten that! Does switching the Master Power and Avionics on still work if you want to start from Cold & Dark? Didn't meantionthat I'd been trying from C&D.Freelancer what you said about switching the ATT on and keepingit on then right clicking it to get TOGA is what I cant seem todo. I will report back tomorrow on what happens when I start with the Cessna.Thanks again guys.Andy S

Hi.Sorry freelancer that might have sounded likea sarcastic comment towards you. Thats not what Iintend at all, you cant show any emotions/ephasislike you can when speaking. :-hah Take it easy.Andy S

Make sure you are clicking the A/T switches with the RIGHT mouse button. A left click on the switches toggles A/T arming, a right click toggles TOGA.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi.Problem is sorted!:-) I was doing it all correctly but I was right clickingon the atual A/T button, not the two white arming controls!What an amature mistake! :-shy (and I've been simming for2-3 years).On the ILS the plane was a bit bouncy but I think otherpeople are having this problem and it was not severe at alland I can certainly live with it.Might try EGLL-OMDB soon now I know everything works.Anyway thanks for all the help you guys,and i guess it's case closed on this one.Cheers Andy S

Alex,Some clarification re: UAL procedures.Extrapolated from UA 777-200 DVD (World Air Routes) plus information from UAL 767 Flight Manual.As a rule, UAL procedures tend to be the same based on the aircraft (Boeing v. Airbus). UAL procedures for the 767 state that LNAV and VNAV are not to be engaged before 400ft AGL after takeoff. On the DVD, its not possible to see the lights; however, the call for LNAV/VNAV come after wheels up.If any UAL pilots on this forum can confirm this, it would be appreciated. My information is a little dated.The Continental procedures are quite different. From the 777-200ER manual I have, the procedure is that LNAV and VNAV is armed before taking the runway, TOGA power, at 400ft, VNAV engages and is reflected on the FMA.The manuals I've seen tend to support your statement: Each airline's procedure is a little different. Whether the Captain has the perogative to arm LNAV/VNAV at his discretion seems not to be the case, at least with the two manuals I've seen, plus the DVD. The procedures (especially in CO's manual) are quite detailed and quite specific.Again, if any 777 UA/CO pilots on the forum, please share anything you feel could further clarify this point.Thanks and Regards,David LambB767 Senior CaptainUnited Virtual Airlines

Guest adameke777

Dave,UAL 777 DVD, on the London departure, you can see LNAV and VNAV armed on the ground.Adam

Adam,I'm glad you could see it. I couldn't (as an aside, I am going for an eye check today). It would make sense that they would be both armed, since CO's procedures are quite detailed on these points and, as a practical matter, relieve pilot workload in the initial stages of the climb out.Many thanks for the clarification.Dave LambB767 Senior CaptainUnited Airlines Virtual

Guest langevine

At UAL, the TO/GA is active for TO.TRACK is commanded until HS/LNAV is selected after T/O.VNAV can be armed, BUT -- FLCH or V/S is better as what is programmed in VNAV just might not be what you really want.Most pilots use FLCH until in the high teen altitudes and then use VNAV if appropriate. Actually, I've demonstrated the use of VNAV from first power reduction after TO to APP selected on arrival, however, in actual practice seldom do that.PERSONALLY, I prefer to hand fly the aircraft (not in FS) that's a lot more fun that watching George do it.:)---leo---(half page of blank space removed)

>At UAL, the TO/GA is active for TO.>TRACK is commanded until HS/LNAV is selected after T/O.>VNAV can be armed, BUT -- FLCH or V/S is better as what is>programmed in VNAV just might not be what you really want.>Most pilots use FLCH until in the high teen altitudes and then>use VNAV if appropriate. Actually, I've demonstrated the use>of VNAV from first power reduction after TO to APP selected on>arrival, however, in actual practice seldom do that.>PERSONALLY, I prefer to hand fly the aircraft (not in FS)>that's a lot more fun that watching George do it.:)>---leo--->(half page of blank space removed)-------------------------Leo,Many thanks for the updated information. I knew we had a few UAL pilots on the forum.:-halo I will pass this along to the United Virtual Airlines flight standards and training department..I'm sure this will be very helpful to them...and I am very grateful for your prompt reply.As as aside to your remarks, we train our pilots to hand fly using the FD only until 5000ft before engaging a/p (although the T7 checkride is handfly to 10K). At takeoff, I use track as well; then flip to LNAV above 400ft (as required) and use FLCH (VNAV if altitude restraints on takeoff are a real pain)...then VNAV above 10,000 feet. Since I have been trained to use the "flaps up/bug up" technique, retract flap, increase IAS to next speed setting on flap retraction schedule up to 250kts (Alteon taught me that one). I set V2+20 in the IAS, FD/AT armed, altitude hold (for clearance altitude)before taking runway, after rotation, I use FD pitch to maintain speed, retract on schedule then FLCH after flaps up at 250kts to 10000, then VNAV above that.Any thoughts about this particular technique? Anything you recommend I could do differently (or better)?? Advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. Many thanks and kind regards,David LambCat IV Senior Captain (B767-300)Check Pilot-SEAFOUnited Airlines Virtual

Guest langevine

I'll try to NOT hit the PgDn key this time. :(I'd not recommend LNAV at 400' unless you are without ATC. HS works a lot better for vectoring.Especially, in training, it is a very good idea to use all the lateral and verticle selectors. ALSO, do some navigation WITHOUT the FMC, manually tuning and setting course with VOR. Getting to the point you depend on the FMC makes you a worse pilot, not a better one. :) Most of all -- have fun.---leo---

Guest adameke777

>Especially, in training, it is a very good idea to use all the>lateral and verticle selectors. ALSO, do some navigation>WITHOUT the FMC, manually tuning and setting course with VOR.>Getting to the point you depend on the FMC makes you a worse>pilot, not a better one. :) >>Most of all -- have fun.>>---leo--->A very common misconception that I see among the simmers is that the 777 (the real one) does not offer the possibility of "old-fashioned" navigation.A.G.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.