Sign in to follow this  
psolk

T7 CDU programming for beginners (simplified)

So I see alot of posts about how to correctly program the CDU and errors that most likely are caused by CDU programming error. Since I am doing Marathon Flights today, CO020 and CO021 back-back in real time (KEWR-EGCC, EGCC-KEWR) I figured I would use some time to outline how I get my T7 CDU ready for flight.Notes:1. I am not a r/w pilot, this is just what I do that has worked since day 1.2. This is a simplified step by step tutorial to get you from point A to Point B.3. Buttons shall be referred to by their key names. Entry keys shall be referred to as LSK (Left side Key) or RSK (Right Side Key) and the number 1-6 from top to bottom. 4. This is intended more for the people who are trying to get there arms around this huge bird.5. This tutorial is designed around a F/P and not manual waypoint entry.6. Please feel free to add/critique, I am not an expert at all and I am doing this from memory mid flight. I will go back and correct/clarify things when I am doing an actual setup in pre-flight. Lets make this interactive...CDU 101 for Dummies :)Route Entry1. Press the CLR button to clear the Position Entry message2. Press RSK6 Pos Init3. Press RSK4 to "copy" your GPS coordinates4. Press RSK5 to "paste" your GPS coordinates5. Press the RTE Key to enter your RTE Data6. Press the Route Request button7. Press the Select FS FlightPlan Button Select the LSK for your F/PAt this point your Departure and Arrival Runways should be populated on the RTE page. DO NOT hit activate yet.8. Press Dep/Arr key9. Press LSK 1 for your DEP from your originating airport10. Press the appropriate RSK to select your dep/arr runwayIf you do not see your runway you may have to hit the Next Page key11. Press Dep/Arr again (this is optional I do this because I use ASV and force my destination wxr)12. Press RSK2 for ARR into your arrival airport13. Press the appropriate RSK to select your arrival runway Alternatively, this can be done after hearing ATIS for Arrival14. Press the Route Key againDO Not hit activate yet15. Press the Legs key16. Press Next page look for any route discontinuityIf you find a discontinuity see 16A to clear 16a Click on LSK next to the waypoint below the disconitinuity to copy the waypoint16b Click on the LSK next to the discontinuity to paste the waypoint17. Continue until you have gone through all pages and there are no more discontinuities18. Click on RTE key. 19. NOW hit Activate and Press EXEC KeyPerf Init20. Press RSK6 for Perf Init21. Press LSK5 for Perf init request22. Enter appropriate number for Fuel Reserves by typing on CDU keypad (Example 5.0)23. Press LSK4 to enter the number you just typed24. Enter your CRZ Alt based on Flightplanning as 34000 or 340 or FL340 using your crz alt. Note: under fuel loads greater than 50% with full load I would advise no higher than 350 until you have burnt some fuel25. Press RSK1 to enter your CRZ Alt.26. Enter your Cost Index by typing the number using the CDU keypad. I use 10027. Press RSK2 to enter your Cost IndexDo not change other values on this page28. Press RSK6 for ThrustLimFor this tutorial we will not do a de-rate. 29. Press RSK6 for Takeoff30. Enter departure flap setting using CDU Keypad I use 1531. Press LSK1 to enter your Flaps setting32. You can leave Thrust at -- for this as we are not using a de-rate33. Enter your CG from your Load Editor using the CDU keypad Typical CG is between 23-28% and will display a Trim number after entered. 34. Press LSK3 to enter CG numer 34. Make sure the trim number shown in the CDU is set on the Pedestal Panel35. Press RSK1 to set V136. Press RSK2 to set VR37. Press RSK3 to set V238. CDU program complete.Like I said, this is not designed to be a detailed CDU tutorial but a quick and dirty to get her programmed step by step so you can get her airborne. If people Like this I will consider doing a step by step to other aspects of the a/c as well.Enjoy,-PaulLiquid CooledAMD 4000 San Diego2 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2Dual 7800 GTX 24 inch widescreen dual 19 inch LCDRaid-0psolksig.jpghttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.html

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest NormanB

>Like I said, this is not designed to be a detailed CDU>tutorial but a quick and dirty to get her programmed step by>step so you can get her airborne. Great stuff Paul. Triple7 had to do something similar for me on both the Boeing and Concorde. To me Airbus logic is too engrained :)

Airbus... Logic - You've got to be kidding me Norm :(:pMichael B

Thanks Norman... WOW, I wasn't expecting you to bring up the A word LOL.Glad you liked it and I hope it will help some...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

shhh, dont mention airbus... something French..JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!HELP:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238882

Paul,Great resource..thanks!!!Kind regards,Dave LambPS-Isn't the "A" word verboten on the "B" forum? Oh darn, I forgot! "verboten" is an "A" word!!! :-eek

Guest NormanB

>Oh darn, I forgot! "verboten" is an "A" word!!! :-eekVerboten ist Deutsche ;)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.