Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

Is the 777 really so slippery?

I have big troubles slowing her down on a manual approach so I can deploy flaps accordingly.Is the 777 really so slippery? Even with gear down and flaps 15 I can easily do a 180 deg turn almost legel and hardly loose speed.Tried yesterday several times doing patterns at KMDW...Andreas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

HI Andreas,Yes I was most surprised myself when a seasoned 777 pilot on our test team told me she wasn't slippery enough, so I added some more slipperiness! Just to give an example the V/S at low altitude idle with lowish fuel and average passenger count without spoilers is apparently not much more than 1000 feet per minute without accelerating. That's not far off a powered glider, but of course this is not so much just a slippery fuselage....it is idle thrust that is still giving significant forward momentum.If you imagine a heavy truck on a very slight downhill incline then it is easier to understand why the triple 7 takes a long time to decelerate. As for descent from high altitude with high Mach...I doubt whether it is slippery enough.Kind Regards,Rob Young

I notice alot on fs aircraft that they are not slipery enough, they should really be more fluid, its good to see that pss seems to have this down.

Hi all,This is just an observation from real world experience flying on the 777 as a passenger and from the jump seat.I have noticed on a number of occasions that descending from altitude, that speed brakes were needed to be employed to slow the aircraft down and increase the descent rate. Whether this is an issue of the aircraft or pilot technique, I don't know. I've flown on UA, CO and AZ 777-200ERs and have found the same thing (although I've only jump seated on AZ...manager privileges and the deference of some wonderful captains). One AZ captain told me that the aircraft is so powerful that, especially when light, the aircraft needs a little help in getting slowed down for a proper descent profile (the explanation was a little cryptic, but this was the jist of it).Anybody else have the same experience?thanksDave LambB767 Senior CaptainUnited Airlines Virtual

Actually, the HEAVIER the aircraft is, the harder to slow or descend. It's all about inertia. :-)The 777 is very clean, it takes a LOT of planning to make smooth descents and slow downs for approach. Like mentioned above, the speed brake to flaps extension is often necessary.---leo---

Thank you Leo,Your input would be very appreciated in a number of threads in this forumAdam

Leo,Actually, my comment was poorly worded when I meant "light". The aircraft was near max payload, but light on fuel. Sorry.Dave

Sign in to follow this