Sign in to follow this  
dam942

FPS problem after patch

My actual problem is only the external ciew drop of fps which makes the plane completely unfliable. Well, I hope it wont take another 5 months... no asnwers PSS

Giorgio La Pira

Chris and to all,OK...I read your posts and Chris, you have some serious stuff going on with your computer that are not specifically FS related.Cleaning up the registry (3052 errors) is huge. Here are some other things I recommend:First, you will need to run registry mechanic at least three times. You will find that with 3K or more of junk in your registry, it will take several sweeps to get all the registry cleaned up. When I offloaded a bunch of programs, I got 4500 errors. Took three runs to clean it up to zero errors. When you are done, compact the registry. This will free up space on your hard drive and not do any damage (it will setup a restore point in case something goes sideways in the process).1. PCTools has a couple of other products that I use together (I have found that using reg mechanic/spyware/anti-virus/spam blocker together seems to make a difference). That said, you will shell out big bucks for this. I'd recommend trying a freeware product prior to buying something. In fact, there are freeware products for just about everything I've discussed, including anti-virus. That said, consider carefully using a freeware anti-virus program. I don't recommend it. Payware anti-virus have an incentive to keep their products leading edge (while this is true of all software, this is especially true of anti-virus programs). Don't skimp on this.2. You need Diskeeper 10.0. Read the reviews on it. Its the best defrag product on the market today. Its about $40 (I think), but worth every dime. The difference with Diskeeper v. everything else is the unique approach to the defrag. I don't want to give the real techie explanation here, but I run reg cleaner/spyware checker and Diskeeper every day. If I'm downloading a bunch of stuff, I'll run the reg mechanic more frequently.Another key point: If you have a lot of scenery addon's, e.g. FSGenesis files. I discovered that my computer ran like a dog on morphine when loaded with 3GB of add on scenery. I really suggest that if you are going to add scenery, add the scenery that is important to functionality, not aesthetics. AND...It is not necessary to offload FS to fix the problem with your computer...unless you have other problems unrelated to the PSS777. Loading the PSS777 does nothing to the base FS9 program. It will add gauges to the gauge directory, but that's about it. Don't take draconian steps with your computer if you don't have to. Usually, running something to clean the registry, clean spyware and defrag your computer (pretty much every time you run FS), will improve performance significantly.The frame rate problem is not with the plane...I need to stress this point, because after testing it, making the suggestions and having others improve their frame rates by doing the same things I have, it validated my theory about the plane.Every time you run FS you need to clean your computer. If you don't, eventually it will grind to a screeching halt. Bitter experience has taught me this lesson....hopefully, you won't suffer the same fate as I did; having to reload FS and find all my executables for all the payware addon's. Its a HUGE pain to fix this (I still haven't finished reloading everything from the last time I had to do this). Sorry for going on so long, but from what I am reading, these are important points and suggestions and if you are careful, I think you will find your the PSS777 in particular and FS experience in general operates much better.Good luckDave Lamb

Dave and to all,i run regcleaner three times and found several errors in my Registraion... X( But i clean it up and run Diskkeeper to defrag my HD

Guest b1ddys55

Well i've done a bit more investigation on the panel.cfg file. I disabled all reference to the PSS-777.gau file and the frame rates were rock steady at 30+. As soon as i brought back any gauges (i.e PFD) the frame rates were rubbish. Unfortunately, there is no more investigation i can do as all the gauges are in one huge 62.5 MB file.PSS need to investigate this as the old gauge file did not produce this problem.

Guest NormanB

>PSS need to investigate this as the old gauge file did not>produce this problem. I have both the old and the new gauge here and there is zero difference in frame rates.

So no other investigation by PSS about this problem?If with the same settings as version 1, there's a 10 FPS loss with the patched version, and this loss doesn't affect all the other aircrafts, it's evident that the problem is in the PSS patch and not in the general FS settings.So I'm waiting for a solution.Luca

Guest jwende

... and ?As the old installation did not cause fps problems i think we would be glad if we could get this one back -As PSS took the money and it did work before the patch, i would be grateful to get even the old version back.Kind Regards, Jens

Guest NormanB

Jens,The gauge and the FDE are both closely tied. Whilst yes I can give you a copy of the old gauge we certainly couldnt support it.

Guest Knikolaes

Well, PSS and all, I stayed neutral until I myself did what I did, and it made a heckuva difference. After using the above recommended programs and cleaning out my system, I got TRIPLE the FPS back in my Sim. Of course, for performance reasons, as well as working with FRAPS to make videos, I have the frames locked at 20, but just for the sake of this test I unlocked em and got about 30 - 45 FPS - a major improvement over the 10 - 18 I was getting before cleaning my system.Disclaimer - I am NOT saying anyone is right or wrong in their performance here, but I wanted to post here as response to those who recommended cleaning their system, and it worked for me.Note - I am running the JustFlight CD-ROM version with the patch installed, but I doubt that makes any difference since it is precisely the same product.The programs I use to maintain my system are Zonelabs Zonealarm Security Suite (for firewall, spyware, adware and antivirus protection) and now that Registry mechanic, which covers about the only area ZoneAlarm didn't (something I didnt even consider until this thread came along). I thought my system was good and clean until the suggestion above, which was a huge eye opener for me.Just a follow-up either way.

Guest jwende

Norman,that would be really great - i still got the 'old' FDE. You might mail it to me forpss@gmx.de , shouldn't be a problem with the mailbox. Otherwise please let me know where i can pull the file from.Thanks for your help, and looking forward to fly the T7 soon again -Kind Regards, Jens

Chrispher:How about showing us here some of those vidoes you are making? I just love that stuff. A please and thankyou in advance...RegardsRick

Guest Knikolaes

>>>Chrispher:>>How about showing us here some of those vidoes you are making?>I just love that stuff. A please and thankyou in advance...>>Regards>>RickI would love to, except I am still learning. The videos i have made so far are projects for my Graphics II class at college, but I am having serious trouble with music. I can make clips, make effects, and make them do great visual stuff, but the sound is killing me :-( Using FRAPS for capturing (I need to know if there is anything better out there, no matter what the cost -- FRAPS kills resources like you wouldn't believe and i hate the filesizes it makes - it's ridiculous) and Blaze Media Pro (AWESOME software -- sure wish it captured video as well) for putting the stuff together.At least I got my FPS back so I can try again :-) Performance and framerates since cleaning that registry has been outstanding.

Guest wayupthere

-Default Cessna at KSEA loaded first to set default settings-Frames Locked 27-Clean windows (seperate computer only for fs)-Background processes off using Smartclose-System AMD FX-57, RAID0, 6800GS XXX, 1GB OCZ PLATUNIM -NO PATCH-->CONCL. NO ISSUES,SMOOTH AS ANY OTHER ADD-ON<---LOAD FOR EXAMPLE PMDG AFTERWARDS, FRAMES STILL FINE__________________-Default Cessna at KSEA loaded first to set default settings-Frames Locked 27-Clean windows (seperate computer only for fs)-Background processes off using Smartclose-System AMD FX-57, RAID0, 6800GS XXX, 1GB OCZ PLATUNIM -WITH PATCH-->CONCL. FRAMES ALL OVER THE PLACE EVEN AS BAD AS DOWN TO LOW 10's<---LOAD FOR EXAMPLE PMDG AFTERWARDS, FRAMES RETURN TO NORMAL AND EVERYTHING IS FINE AGAIN, LOAD PSS AGAIN AND THINGS ARE BACK TO THE LOW PERFORMANCE ETC..__________________I usally don't complain, but as some people I too have issues, and Its definatly NOT my system, looking at the hardware furthermore it even is a butt-nekkid windows, no progs other that FS. The patch did "something" which affects certain computers, as some people don't have any issues. Any resolution to this PSS? As of yet, the bird is grounded, sadly this is not what i expected after all these months, to me it just feels strange that it had more potential BEFORE the patch :(PS: THIS IS NOT A BASH POST! Just to clarify that

>-Default Cessna at KSEA loaded first to set default settings>-Frames Locked 27>-Clean windows (seperate computer only for fs)>-Background processes off using Smartclose>-System AMD FX-57, RAID0, 6800GS XXX, 1GB OCZ PLATUNIM >>-NO PATCH>-->CONCL. NO ISSUES,SMOOTH AS ANY OTHER ADD-ON<-->>-LOAD FOR EXAMPLE PMDG AFTERWARDS, FRAMES STILL FINE>>__________________>>-Default Cessna at KSEA loaded first to set default settings>-Frames Locked 27>-Clean windows (seperate computer only for fs)>-Background processes off using Smartclose>-System AMD FX-57, RAID0, 6800GS XXX, 1GB OCZ PLATUNIM >>-WITH PATCH>-->CONCL. FRAMES ALL OVER THE PLACE EVEN AS BAD AS DOWN TO>LOW 10's<-->>-LOAD FOR EXAMPLE PMDG AFTERWARDS, FRAMES RETURN TO NORMAL AND>EVERYTHING IS FINE AGAIN, LOAD PSS AGAIN AND THINGS ARE BACK>TO THE LOW PERFORMANCE ETC..>__________________>>>I usally don't complain, but as some people I too have issues,>and Its definatly NOT my system, looking at the hardware>furthermore it even is a butt-nekkid windows, no progs other>that FS. The patch did "something" which affects certain>computers, as some people don't have any issues. Any>resolution to this PSS? As of yet, the bird is grounded, sadly>this is not what i expected after all these months, to me it>just feels strange that it had more potential BEFORE the patch>:(>>PS: THIS IS NOT A BASH POST! Just to clarify thatDoes PSS need many other examples for starting to solve this problem?Luca

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.