Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Try flying the mail for some simming fun

Flying the heavies is great and all but for the times when you want to stay lower, stay active in the cockpit, enjoy going from a private field to a Class B airport or just want to brush up on the basics while not using autopilot

wow! it must have taken you longer to write this account, than fly it..:-). Thanks for the insight...like you, I prefer the smaller planes over the heavy jets...I particularly like the older props...dc3, connie, the new tratoliner and stratocruiser to name a few, as well as the baron 58 and some of the small commutter turbo props. btw, if you like short routes and some good challanges, take a look at www.dc3airways.com. It's a great group of enthusiasts with some interesting routes, and of course, the great old dc3.Also, for something like no other VA on the web, check out www.flyace.com. It is unique!Sherm

Check out commuter air lines and feeder routes to the major hubs.As an example, look at www.mesaba.com which contracts to do Northwest AirLink for Northwest Airlines. Their livery includes the twin Saab 340B which to me is interesting. They also use some smaller jets as well. If you look at the Passenger tab, you will eventually get to a so-called map of the routes (not an aeronautical one).I'll bet there are some mail bags on those as they go about their relatively short hops to smaller airports.I also emulate a charter flight using a Beech 1900D 19 passenger twin. It should be big enough to carry your favorite basketball team to those odd places where some shorter (but not too short) runways exist.

If you want some randomness in your flight planning, use a sports team's schedule and fly to get the team there on time. Look at whether you would likely leave after the game or the next morning. Plan to get the team there in time to practice. In FS2000 there was a great Red Wings MD80 that I flew about half the season with. Being a Wings fan it was a blast. I find that if I pick my own flights I end up going the same places all the time. So, if I have to fly where the Wings are playing it sends me to new places, although a few times during the season. Kinda like your very own VA. Eddie KSLC

Thats a good idea. You could probably do the same with the lear with a Nascar Driver. I remember when I was in Daytona I noticed that a few drivers kept their planes there. Kil~

Guest odog

Great idea about the sports teams, Even tho you are a Wings fan, and therefore, my sworn enemy for life... thanks. I just flew the Blackhawks from Calgary (thurs) to Edmonton (2nite)Think I'll be following the rest of the schedule from here until The Cup is my co-pilot :-)funjoe

Another suggestion, similar to flying a sports team from location to location, is the concert circuit. Find someone who is currently on tour. They probably have a complete tour schedule posted at their web site. The tour will usually cover most of the country. You tend to go to big cities, but you can elect to land at the smaller airports in the area. You get to make many night flights when appearances are scheduled for consecutive nights and many daytime flights when there is more time in between. With a little imagination you can fly almost any aircraft. Fly just the star in a small plane; fly the inner circle in a twin or small jet; fly everyone in larger jets; move to cargo type aircraft and fly the road crew and their equiptment. How good is your imagination?Tom

Tom

Hey Joe,The downside of flying the Blackhawks is you don't get to fly as long into the playoffs as if you were flying the Wings. :-lol Actually I said I "was" a Wings fan. My ex-girlfriend was OBSESSED with them so I always root against them now. :)The rock star thing is a great idea... get into more smaller places that don't have major sports teams.Fun stuff!Eddie