Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlimDady

One to buy-----Captainsim or Iron Knuckles...Any though

Guest lawyerpilot

Clarity of 3-d panels, sound, flight dynamics, and # of working functions on panel, and finally frame rates (keeping in mind that I get about 15-19 with the 3-d 421, or most panels in 2k2. Which one is better. Don't much care for the exterior models. I am about three weeks from RW commercial, and want a realistic jet trainer for procedures. Thank you for your input in advance.ChristopherP4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL - 205 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Christopher,I use multiple monitors and the VC mode almost exclusively. In that situation, Iron Knuckles is the only way to go. IMO the Captain Sim 727 panels are simply too small to be effective and the odd way they were designed prevents them from being dragged to another monitor. Neither one is a "systems" simulator (Iron Knuckles is emphatic in that regard). If you want to learn systems in a jet you pretty much have a choice of one - PIC767. The DC9 will give you some feel for what it is like to fly the pattern in a small airliner. I highly recommend the book - Fly the Wing (think that is the title). Specifically written for a transition to jets like the DC9. Iron Knuckles has lots of buttons and switches but the logic is either missing or wrong according to RW pilots on the forum. Flight1 released it as an "entertainment title" and I will say that it is entertaining. Hope that helps!David

Guest lawyerpilot

That helps a lot. And, when I say procedures, I guess I was talking more about flight procedures, rather than fully operational systems, as I don't expect to be flying jets in the RW for quite awhile, if ever, and if I did, the airline (with indoc/systems training), or charter (which would send me for type training at Simcom or FS) would get me up to speed with intense training and memory items. I was just looking for something to simulate the majority of checklists realistically for precision/non-precision approach procedures., etc.In that regard, it is good to know that the CaptainSim gauges are too small in the VC. I used to use multiple monitors, but don't anymore. Like the desk space I guess. Anyone else have an opinion on the gauge readability in VC?BTW, most realistic jet sim to date with VC? Project Airbus, and/or PSS Airbus....CB

HiI hate to say it but save your cash for the DreamFleet 727.They`ll learn from CS mistakes and the support can`t be any worse than CS.Combine that with the fact that the airfile is bad enough that consumer modifications are sought after should say something in it`sself.As for the DC-9 it`s rudimentory and advertised as a entertainment title so take that for what it worth.You know it`s funny how developer`s are always complaining about piracy and how it afects their bottom line but considering the quality of recent releases I am beginning to understand their arguement.A very Frustrated Simmer

Christopher,Also take into account that the 727 was designed to be operated by a crew of three. It will definitely keep you busy scanning all those itty-bitty panels looking for just the right switch when your crew should be doing that. Incidentally, the checklist function that sort of came with the CS 727 never ever worked for me but it sounds pretty cool if it works for you.It's hard to go wrong with the Iron Knuckles DC9. You might also consider the PSS Dash 8 because you're probably going that route before hitting the jets - just a guess, and it's a great addon! I wish I had something new to buy today. Thought I'd have a Meridian in my hangar by now but I guess not! ;-)David

Guest jeffg

Can we get a idea of a release date for the 727 from Dreamfleet? JeffG

I like the DC-9. It's a lot of fun, flies very well - all in all a good effort. I'm not that interested in a full systems sim for the simple reason there is no one sitting to the right of me - so that's not a big disapointment for me. Actually, there is very little about the package I don't like. For the money, it's a very good deal and Flight 1 is very active on their support forums. Colin

Correct. Having a sim of a 3 man cockpit where you have to do the full job of all 3 is taking things too far.It might sound like fun, but you'll soon be wishing that mechanic was really there to keep an eye on things inside while you do the actual flying.That 3rd person is there for a reason, which is that 2 persons can't handle the workload (and in FS you're alone, having already to do the jobs of both PF and PNF which gives you about 1.5 workloads already).

I have been flying the Iron Knuckles DC9 for a while now and it is a good stable flight model - one of the best for pitch stability. Its just about the only jet I can fly IMC without any autopilot, start to finish. The sounds are good, too. ALso, the panels require you to control most of the major systems to a lesser or greater extent. If you don`t do it right, it will object too.I haven`t tried the CS 727 but compared to the DF734 the dc9 is way more handflyable (if that`s a word!).I get good framerates (15 - 20 taxiing) in 11280x1024x32bpp on the following system:AMD XP2000 Athlon512MBTriplex Ti4200 GF4 128 Meg17" monitorA/c generic soundMS sidewinder 2 joystick and homebuilt throttle quadrant..Good luck with the commercial, I soloed on my PPL with 11.25 hours 3 weeks ago..regardsJim Cross

Guest lawyerpilot

And Congrats on the Solo Jim!Happy flying!Christopher

Hi Jim,Welcome to the PIC group. :) 11.25 hours is great for a solo, you must be flying well. There's lots of us here on these forums if you ever have any questions.Bruce.KBJC, Jeffco, CO.

Thanks for all the kind replies, everyone. I think the questions are just about to start as I am onto the ground-school part now.It does indeed feel good to be "PIC". I think it must be 10 years of FS that contributed to my reasonably low hours! All I need to do now is earn more money to continue!!Incidentally love the Iron Knuckles, I did 2 fully manual ILS landings with visibility at about 1/4 mile (Activesky WXRE in NZCH yetserday). Its the zoomable sacred 6 instruments and the excellent stable-in-the-longitudinal-axis flight model which makes it possible.Cheers allJim

Hi Jim,Are you from NZCH? I was just there a few weeks ago seeing family (from Greymouth originally, now in Boulder, CO).Bruce.KBJC, Jeffco, CO.

Hey BruceI`m not from NZCH, I actually live in Wellington (NZWN) but I`m originally from Bristol in the UK. What`s nice is that I can afford to fly in NZ (just about!) whereas I had no chance in the UK.Greymouth - thats a far cry from Boulder! Did aviation related work take you there?C yajim